How to Find an Answer to 2^n + 1 Prime Question

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving Mersenne primes, specifically finding two primes of the form 2n + 1. The person is asking for help in explaining and proving their findings, but it is suggested that a rigorous proof may not be necessary. The task is simply to find two more primes of the given form.
Math100
Homework Statement
An unanswered question is whether there are infinitely many primes that are ## 1 ## more than a power of ## 2 ##, such as ## 5=2^2+1 ##. Find two more of these primes.
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof:

## 17=2^4+1 ##

Now I'm stuck. How should I find the correct answers to this problem?

• Sad
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
This question appears to be a variation on Mersenne primes, adding one to 2n instead of subtracting.

In mathematics, a Mersenne prime is a prime number that is one less than a power of two. That is, it is a prime number of the form Mn = 2n − 1 for some integer n. They are named after Marin Mersenne, a French Minim friar, who studied them in the early 17th century. If n is a composite number then so is 2n − 1. Therefore, an equivalent definition of the Mersenne primes is that they are the prime numbers of the form Mp = 2p − 1 for some prime p.

Just try literally the next power of 2

So ## 2^{8}+1=257 ##.

But how should I explain these two prime numbers in my proof? What should I start with?

Are you asking how to explain how you found these, or how to prove they are prime numbers.

You probably don't need to explain how you came up with them, or you can just write "I tried some examples and here's what I found" if you're worried about a particularly harsh grader.

Likes Math100
Office_Shredder said:
Are you asking how to explain how you found these, or how to prove they are prime numbers.

You probably don't need to explain how you came up with them, or you can just write "I tried some examples and here's what I found" if you're worried about a particularly harsh grader.
So do I just show my work and answer for this problem without proof?

## 17=2^{4}+1 ##
## 257=2^{8}+1 ##

Math100 said:

## 17=2^{4}+1 ##
## 257=2^{8}+1 ##

I don't know what your grader is expecting, but my guess is this is fine. If you think you need to be very rigorous on proving the primeness, it's not that hard. I'll do 17 for you so you can get the feel for it.

Here's a useful lemma: if ##n## is a composite number, then there exists a prime ##p## such that ##p|n## and ##p^2 \leq n##
Proof: factor ##n=mk##. One of ##m## or ##k## is smaller (or they are equal) wlog let it be ##k\leq m##. Then ##k^2\leq km=n##. And there must be some prime ##p## that divides ##k##, and hence divides ##n##. If ##k=pq##, then ##p^2 \leq k^2 \leq n##.

Since ##5^2 > 17##, if 17 is composite it must be divisible by a prime less than or equal to 4. 1 and 4 are not primes, so we only need to check 2 and 3. But ##17= 2*8+1## and ##17=3*5+2## demonstrates 17 is not divisible by either.

Again though, I would be very surprised if you were supposed to actually prove this, though I don't know the level of dumb details your course requires you to provide. I would guess just what you wrote is sufficient. (What I wrote is assuming a bunch of properties about how multiplication preserves ordering, so if you're a real stickler you could also prove things like ##k\leq m \rightarrow k^2 \leq km##

Likes Klystron, PeroK and Math100
Office_Shredder said:
I don't know what your grader is expecting, but my guess is this is fine. If you think you need to be very rigorous on proving the primeness, it's not that hard. I'll do 17 for you so you can get the feel for it.

Here's a useful lemma: if ##n## is a composite number, then there exists a prime ##p## such that ##p|n## and ##p^2 \leq n##
Proof: factor ##n=mk##. One of ##m## or ##k## is smaller (or they are equal) wlog let it be ##k\leq m##. Then ##k^2\leq km=n##. And there must be some prime ##p## that divides ##k##, and hence divides ##n##. If ##k=pq##, then ##p^2 \leq k^2 \leq n##.

Since ##5^2 > 17##, if 17 is composite it must be divisible by a prime less than or equal to 4. 1 and 4 are not primes, so we only need to check 2 and 3. But ##17= 2*8+1## and ##17=3*5+2## demonstrates 17 is not divisible by either.

Again though, I would be very surprised if you were supposed to actually prove this, though I don't know the level of dumb details your course requires you to provide. I would guess just what you wrote is sufficient. (What I wrote is assuming a bunch of properties about how multiplication preserves ordering, so if you're a real stickler you could also prove things like ##k\leq m \rightarrow k^2 \leq km##
Thank you!

Math100 said:
Find two more of these primes.

Now I'm stuck.
All that the problem is asking you to do is to find two more primes of the given form. There is nothing that you need to prove, other than has already been stated about showing that your found examples are indeed prime.

Likes Math100
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: An unanswered question is whether there are infinitely many primes that are ## 1 ## more than a power of ## 2 ##, such as ## 5=2^2+1 ##. Find two more of these primes.
Just say primes of the form ##2^k+1##. The only purpose this convoluted phrasing serves is confusing or annoying the reader.

Math100 said:

## 17=2^{4}+1 ##
## 257=2^{8}+1 ##
Every composite number has a prime factor less than or equal to its square root. To check ##257## is prime you need only divide by ##3, 7, 11## and ##13##. You can see by inspection it's not divisible by ##2## or ##5##.

1. How do I determine if 2^n + 1 is a prime number?

The most efficient way to determine if 2^n + 1 is a prime number is to use the Lucas-Lehmer primality test. This test is specifically designed for numbers of the form 2^n + 1 and can quickly determine if the number is prime or composite.

2. Can I use a calculator to find the answer to 2^n + 1 prime question?

While a calculator may be able to handle smaller values of n, it is not recommended to use a calculator for larger values. The calculations involved in determining the primality of 2^n + 1 can be quite complex and may require specialized algorithms and programs to accurately compute the answer.

3. What is the largest known prime number of the form 2^n + 1?

As of 2021, the largest known prime number of the form 2^n + 1 is 2^82,589,933 - 1. This number has over 24 million digits and was discovered in December 2018 by the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS) project.

4. Are there any patterns or rules for determining if 2^n + 1 is prime?

While there are some patterns and rules that can be observed for certain values of n, there is no general rule or formula for determining the primality of 2^n + 1. This is why specialized tests, such as the Lucas-Lehmer test, are used to determine the primality of these numbers.

5. Can I use a computer program to find the answer to 2^n + 1 prime question?

Yes, computer programs can be used to efficiently find the answer to 2^n + 1 prime question. In fact, many of the largest known primes of the form 2^n + 1 have been discovered using specialized programs and distributed computing projects, such as GIMPS.