How to find an isotope given mass number and neutrons?

In summary, the question asks which element with a mass number of 111 has 5 more neutrons than protons. The possible answers are Antimony, Cadmium, Iodine, Tin, and Xenon. However, only Iodine-111 has 5 more neutrons than protons, with 53 protons and 58 neutrons.
axer

Homework Statement

An isotope of which element has a mass number of 111 and has 5 more neutrons
A- Antimonu
B- Cadmium
C- Iodine
D- Tin
E- Xenon

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
It means 5 more neutrons than protons.

.Scott said:
It means 5 more neutrons than protons.
Thank you its C lol Thanks got it.

You have reported the question leaving out some words apparently - five more neutrons than what?
You give no reasoning but I think your answer has to be wrong on any possible guess of what the question is. I'm afraid #2 is wrong too. And worst of all that the question is wrong as well (which we are getting quite often recently) - none of the options can be a correct answer.

epenguin said:
You give no reasoning but I think your answer has to be wrong on any possible guess of what the question is.
The atomic numbers of the possible answers are 51 (Antimony, Sb), 48 (Cd), 53 (I), 50 (Sn), and 54 (Xe). Antimony-111 has a half-life of 75 seconds. Cadmium-111 is stable. Iodine-111 has a half life of 2.5 seconds. Tin-111 has a half-life of 35 minutes. Xenon-111 has a half-life of 0.74 seconds. So all of the possible answers have a possible mass number of 111.
But only one has 5 more neutrons than protons: Iodine-111, with 53 Protons and 58 Neutrons.

Sorry, Scott was better than me at guessing what the question was. The most natural reading of the incomplete question was “five more neutrons than the naturally occurring most common isotope“.

You will probably never meet iodine 111 again.

1. How do I calculate the number of protons in an isotope given the mass number and neutrons?

To find the number of protons in an isotope, you can subtract the number of neutrons from the mass number. The mass number represents the total number of protons and neutrons in an atom. Therefore, if you know the number of neutrons, you can find the number of protons by subtracting it from the mass number.

2. Can I determine the atomic number from the mass number and neutrons?

Yes, the atomic number of an element is equal to the number of protons in its nucleus. Since the mass number is the sum of protons and neutrons, subtracting the number of neutrons will give you the atomic number.

3. Is it possible to have multiple isotopes with the same mass number and different numbers of neutrons?

Yes, isotopes are atoms of the same element with different numbers of neutrons. This means that they will have the same atomic number (number of protons) but different mass numbers depending on the number of neutrons in their nuclei.

4. How can I identify an isotope given its mass number and number of neutrons?

To identify an isotope, you will need to know its mass number and atomic number. The atomic number will tell you which element the isotope belongs to, while the mass number and number of neutrons will differentiate it from other isotopes of the same element.

5. Can I use the mass number and number of neutrons to determine the stability of an isotope?

Yes, the stability of an isotope is determined by the ratio of protons to neutrons in its nucleus. Generally, isotopes with a lower neutron-to-proton ratio are more stable. However, there are exceptions to this rule and other factors can also affect an isotope's stability.