How to find Lagrangian density from a vertex factor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a Lagrangian density from a given vertex factor involving a massive spin-1 particle. The speaker expresses their understanding that there is a one-to-one correspondence between vertex factors and Lagrangian densities. They also mention an equation for the vector field and their attempt at finding the interaction density in the Lagrangian. They are unsure if their approach is correct and ask for help.
Maurice7510

Homework Statement

This isn't a homework problem, per se, in that it's not part of a specific class. That being said, the question I would like help with is finding a Lagrangian density from the vertex factor, $$-ig_a\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^5.$$ This vertex would be identical to the QED vertex except with the photon replaced by a massive spin-1 particle (which obviously couples to $ \gamma^5 $). I was told that there is a one-to-one correspondence between vertex factors and Lagrangian densities, and so having the vertex factor should give me the density (I don't believe they actually meant the relationship was bijective, but it shouldn't make much difference).

Homework Equations

I have only thus far been able to find ways to go from a Lagrangian density to the vertex factor, a method for which the are many sources. The only equation (other than the vertex factor, above) that I can think might be useful would be the vector field $$ A^{\mu}(x) = \sum_{\lambda} \int \frac{d^3p}{\sqrt{(2\pi)^32E}}\left(\epsilon^{\mu}ae^{-ipx}+\epsilon^{*\mu}a^{\dagger}e^{ipx}\right)$$
where $$p_{\mu}\epsilon^{\mu} = 0$$ for massive particles.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the particle interacts with the electron in the vertex via QED I would assume we would have something like $$\mathcal{L} = \mathcal{L}_{QED} + \mathcal{L}_{int}, $$ and the interaction density should presumably come from the vertex.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume this is true because the particle is obviously massive and thus it should interact with the electron explicitly in the Lagrangian density. This would lead me to believe that $$\mathcal{L}_{int} = -ig_aA^{\mu}(x)\bar{\psi}(x)\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^5\psi(x).$$ However, I'm not sure if this is actually correct (or the best way to go about it). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. What is a Lagrangian density?

A Lagrangian density is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system in terms of its field variables. It is an essential component in the Lagrangian formalism, which is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of physical systems.

2. What is a vertex factor?

A vertex factor is a mathematical term used to describe the interactions between particles in a quantum field theory. It represents the strength of the interaction between particles at a specific point in space and time.

3. How is the Lagrangian density related to the vertex factor?

The Lagrangian density can be derived from the vertex factor in a quantum field theory. The vertex factor is a crucial element in the calculation of the Lagrangian density, which is used to determine the equations of motion for the system.

4. What is the process for finding the Lagrangian density from a vertex factor?

The process for finding the Lagrangian density from a vertex factor involves using a mathematical technique called Feynman diagrams. These diagrams represent the possible interactions between particles, and by analyzing them, the Lagrangian density can be determined.

5. Why is it important to find the Lagrangian density from a vertex factor?

The Lagrangian density is a fundamental quantity in physics and is essential for understanding the behavior of physical systems. By deriving it from the vertex factor, we can gain a deeper understanding of the interactions between particles and their dynamics, which can lead to new insights and discoveries in the field of physics.