How to find tangential and normal acceleration?

In summary, the problem involves finding the tangential and normal acceleration of an object, given its position and velocity functions. The equations provided, including (1), (2), (4), and (5), can be used to calculate the tangential and normal accelerations. However, there is some confusion regarding equation (3), which needs to be corrected. The tangential acceleration can be found by taking the derivative of the velocity with respect to time and then multiplying it by the magnitude of the velocity.
reslion

Homework Statement

The problem asks for the tangential and normal acceleration of the acceleration. We were given that:
$$a_x=c*cos[d*t]$$ and $$a_y=c*sin[d*t]$$ where c and d are constants.

Homework Equations

The book gives us
$$a_t=(r\ddot{\theta}+2\dot{r}\dot{\theta})$$, (1)
$$a_n=(\ddot{r}-r\dot{\theta}^2$$ (2)
and
$$a=\sqrt{(a_t)^2+(a_n)^2}$$ (3)
but I found online that
$$a_t=\frac{dv}{dt}|v|$$ (4).
Finally, I know that $$a=\sqrt{(a_x)^2+(a_y)^2}$$ (5).

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was to use equation (4) as we don't have a theta to find $$a_{tx}$$ and $$a_{ty}$$. But wouldn't that just be the given accelerations as we would integrate the acceleration just to take the derivative again?
After that I would just solve (3) for $$a_n$$ of x and y and then plug both it in the (5) to find the magnitude of both $$a_t$$ and $$a_n$$. But I'm confused on how to find the tangential with either (1) or (4)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your equation 3. A correct version of that would be useful.
Remember that the tangential acceleration is, by definition, the component of the acceleration in the direction of the velocity.

Related to How to find tangential and normal acceleration?

1. What is tangential acceleration and how is it different from normal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity, which is the component of velocity that is tangent to the object's path. Normal acceleration, on the other hand, is the rate of change of an object's normal velocity, which is the component of velocity that is perpendicular to the object's path.

2. How do you calculate tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula at = vt / t, where at is the tangential acceleration, vt is the tangential velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. Can tangential acceleration be negative?

Yes, tangential acceleration can be negative if the object's tangential velocity is decreasing over time. This would indicate that the object is slowing down.

4. How is tangential acceleration related to centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration are related through the formula a = v2 / r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the tangential velocity, and r is the radius of the object's circular path. In other words, centripetal acceleration is the component of acceleration that is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path, while tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is responsible for changing the object's speed along that path.

5. What factors can affect the magnitude of tangential and normal acceleration?

The magnitude of tangential and normal acceleration can be affected by various factors, such as the object's mass, speed, and the curvature of its path. Other factors that can affect tangential acceleration include friction and applied forces, while factors that can affect normal acceleration include gravity and normal forces.