How to find tension in strings pulling on carts.

In summary, three carts with masses of 5kg, 2kg, and 8kg are connected by strings and a force of 30N is applied to the first cart. Using the equation Fnet = ma, the acceleration of the train of carts is found to be 2 m/s^2. To find the tension forces in the strings, a free body diagram is necessary for each cart. The first cart has a net force of (30 - T) in the direction of acceleration, where T is the tension force, and by using Fnet = ma, the magnitude of T can be solved for. The same process can be applied to the other two carts to find their respective tension forces.
drunkenrobot

Homework Statement

3 carts are connected by strings. The first cart is 5kg, the second 2kg, and the third 8kg. A string is fixed at the front of the first cart is pulled with a force of 30 N. In the following problems be sure to illustrate your answers with the corresponding free body diagrams.

a. What is the acceleration of the train of carts?

b. What is the tension in the string connecting the first and second car?

c. What is the tension in the string connecting the second and third car?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

I don't remember the equations to find tension

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out the acceleration easily:

Fnet = (m1 + m2 + m3)a
30 N = (15kg)a
a = 2 m/s ^2

The problem I'm having is I forget how to find the tension force in the strings.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drawing a FBD for each cart is THE FIRST STEP and is VERY IMPORTANT.

ok, so for the first one I have 30 N pulling it in one direction (let's say to the left). So then the tension Force (Ft) is pulling in the opposite direction, right? But this is where I get confused. I don't know how to find the magnitude of the tension force.

Try to use Fnet = ma for the FIRST cart.

so I have a force of 10 N pulling to the left?

Considering the first cart:

Let us keep the FBD in mind.

The first cart has 30N to the left and the tension T to the right. Hence Fnet in the direction of the acceleration is (30 - T).

using Fnet = ma (in the direction of the acceleration)
30 - T = 5 x 2

etc.

The same may be done for the other two carts. Always keep the FBD in mind.

Related to How to find tension in strings pulling on carts.

1. What is tension in strings?

Tension in strings refers to the force applied by the string when it is pulled taut. It is a measure of the pulling force exerted by the string and is typically measured in Newtons (N).

2. How is tension in strings related to pulling on carts?

Tension in strings pulling on carts is directly related to the force applied by the string to move the cart. The greater the tension in the string, the greater the force applied to the cart.

3. How do you calculate tension in strings pulling on carts?

The tension in strings pulling on carts can be calculated using the formula T = F * sin(θ), where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the string, and θ is the angle between the string and the cart.

4. What factors affect the tension in strings pulling on carts?

The tension in strings pulling on carts can be affected by various factors such as the strength and elasticity of the string, the angle and direction of the string, and the mass and friction of the cart.

5. How can tension in strings pulling on carts be measured?

Tension in strings pulling on carts can be measured using a spring scale or a force meter. The scale should be attached to the string and the reading on the scale will indicate the tension in the string.