How to find vectors and bisectors of an electric field

In summary: The complete problem statement is as follows:Find the vector representing the Electric Field produced by the arc in Segment A.
SirChris93
<Moderator's note: User has been warned not to remove the template, and upload images instead of linking to an external site.>

I'm very lost here, I don't know where to begin. My instructor is little help, the notes he gives are not even useful, and I cannot find anything in the book.We were given 4 graphs about electric charges that we need to find the vectors on and one of them include drawing a bisector. If I can get pointed in the right direction with at least the first segment, I'm sure I would be fine with the others.What the assignment says:

Segment A:

https://imgur.com/a/PHS2H

1) Neatly draw the bisector of the arc on the diagram2) Neatly draw the vector along the bisector that represents the Electric Field produced by the arcSegment B:

https://imgur.com/a/W390A
1)Neatly sketch the vector that represents the EF produced by segment B.

Attempt at solution:

For part A, I’m pretty sure the bisector would go through quadrant 2 and 3, but I’m not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Please post in introductory and use the template.

And I hate imgur flashing around on my screen. Just copy/paste the images in your post (or upload them).
SirChris93 said:
What the assignment says:
Does it say anything else ? Like: there is a charge ?

'Bisector of the arc' is pretty clear. Why do you think quadrant 2 and 3 (in which notation is that ?) ?

BvU said:
'Bisector of the arc' is pretty clear. Why do you think quadrant 2 and 3 (in which notation is that ?) ?

Because, it looks like it is going in the negative direction.

The arc has an opening in a particular quadrant. So the bisector will have to divide the arc and the opening into equal pieces...

By the way, in my book quadrant 2 and 3 are the half-plane x < 0

BvU said:
By the way, in my book quadrant 2 and 3 are the half-plane x < 0
Then would the bisector be opposite?

Opposite with respect to what, exactly ?

SirChris93 said:
Then would the bisector be opposite?
Opposite of what I though.

So I think the vectors would be in those two quadrants, but the bisector would be in Q1

SirChris93 said:
Opposite of what I though.
General rule: Don't let us guess what you think. Type it out.

SirChris93 said:
the bisector would be in Q1
Not the complete answer.
SirChris93 said:
bisector of the arc
the entire arc, that is.

Can you please post the Complete problem statement ?

1. How do I find the direction of a vector in an electric field?

The direction of a vector in an electric field can be found by using the "right-hand rule". This rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the electric field and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field (if present), then the direction your palm is facing is the direction of the vector.

2. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of a vector in an electric field?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of a vector in an electric field is given by the equation |E| = (kQ)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance from the particle to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. How do I find the bisector of an electric field?

To find the bisector of an electric field, you first need to draw a line between the two charged particles creating the field. Then, draw a perpendicular line from this line to the midpoint of the two particles. The bisector will be the line that is perpendicular to both of these lines.

4. Can I use vector addition to find the resultant electric field?

Yes, you can use vector addition to find the resultant electric field. Simply add the individual vectors together to find the overall direction and magnitude of the electric field at a specific point.

5. How do I represent vectors and bisectors of an electric field graphically?

Vectors and bisectors of an electric field can be represented graphically using arrows. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector. Bisectors can be represented by drawing a line perpendicular to the vectors, as described in question 3.