How to gain an understanding of the Schrodinger equation for a noob

In summary, you should start by learning about classical harmonic waves and how the de Broglie equations can be applied to them. From there, you should also focus on learning about differential equations, quantum state vectors, operators, and how to solve eigenvalue problems. It may also be helpful to improve your math skills and learn about quantum mechanics from the perspective of matrix mechanics. Additionally, for computational chemistry, it is important to have a good understanding of the Schrödinger equation and its applications. However, it is important to keep in mind that quantum chemistry and quantum physics are different subjects with different goals, and it may be necessary to learn from different sources depending on your specific interests and needs.
CrimpJiggler
Should I start by learning about the equations for classical harmonic waves and how the de Brolier equations can be applied to them? What else should I learn? I'm a chemistry student and we did a class on quantum chemistry, but the mathematical side of it was way too complicated for me so I just relied on visual exam questions to pass the class (Maths isn't my strong point but visual thinking is) but I am now working on computational chemistry related things and I want to gain a good understanding of the Schrodinger equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
The de Broglie equations aren't applied to waves, they're applied to particles. That's the point: given a particle with a particular momentum, you determine the corresponding wave. However, the mechanics of classical waves will be helpful for understanding the solutions to the Schrodinger equation. Once you've done that, the introductory QM book by David Griffiths is nice for first contact with the theory.

You basically need to know these things, in roughly this order:
*What is a differential equation
*What is a quantum state vector
*What is an operator, and how do I use it
*How do I solve eigenvalue problems
*How do states evolve with time in quantum mechanics
*What is the Schrödinger equation

Start off by improving your math and try to learn QM from the perspective of matrix mechanics. Wave mechanics is usually taught first, but in my experience, it doesn't click as well as matrix mechanics for a first timer. My recommended book is the one by Townsend.

wotanub said:
You basically need to know these things, in roughly this order:
*What is a differential equation
*What is a quantum state vector
*What is an operator, and how do I use it
*How do I solve eigenvalue problems
*How do states evolve with time in quantum mechanics
*What is the Schrödinger equation

Start off by improving your math and try to learn QM from the perspective of matrix mechanics. Wave mechanics is usually taught first, but in my experience, it doesn't click as well as matrix mechanics for a first timer. My recommended book is the one by Townsend.

Forget about matrix mechanics and quantum state vectors - you need a book on computational chemistry (e.g. Computational Quantum Chemistry by Alan Hinchliffe). Physicists do things differently, with more rigour than chemists need, on the fundamentals.

gadong said:
Forget about matrix mechanics and quantum state vectors - you need a book on computational chemistry (e.g. Computational Quantum Chemistry by Alan Hinchliffe). Physicists do things differently, with more rigour than chemists need, on the fundamentals.

Learn math from mathematicians, physics from physicists, and chemistry from chemists. QM geared for chemistry is perfectly sufficient for computational purposes; however, since OP said he/she wants to "gain an understanding" of it then it needs to be learned in its proper context: a fundamental theory of physics.

I feel like if you are doing computational work, there is no getting around understanding the math.

The schrodinger equation is a differential equation, which relates a function to one or more of it's derivatives. Actually, it's a partial differential equation, which means it relates a function to one or more of it's partial derivatives. Because one of these partial derivatives is time, the schrodinger equation tells you how the function evolves with time.

So what is this function it tells you about? It's the wavefunction, which encodes all the information about the particle you are modelling. Exactly how to think about the wavefunction is probably best left for a textbook, but basically everything you want to calculate about a quantum particle is done using the wavefunction.

Actually, there are lots of situations where the schrodinger equation is not very complicated. Try looking up the Infinite Square well. Also look up finite step potentials. These two systems are simple enough that they shouldn't tax your math skills too much.

Quantum chemistry and quantum physics are different subjects with different goals.

CrimpJiggler said:
Should I start by learning about the equations for classical harmonic waves and how the de Brolier equations can be applied to them? What else should I learn? I'm a chemistry student and we did a class on quantum chemistry, but the mathematical side of it was way too complicated for me so I just relied on visual exam questions to pass the class (Maths isn't my strong point but visual thinking is) but I am now working on computational chemistry related things and I want to gain a good understanding of the Schrodinger equation.

I would definitely get a good understanding of classical harmonics because it can allow for an intuitive feel of how the solutions are acting. Having a firm understanding of differential equations is a must so you can also know where the solutions come from and how they are basically the same for the Schrodinger equation and other wave equations. I took a course on classical mechanics (upper level physics, not physics 1) and modern optics and I feel these two courses set me up very well to understand the nature of the Schrodinger equation.

gadong said:
Quantum chemistry and quantum physics are different subjects with different goals.
No, they are not. Quantum chemistry *is* applied quantum mechanics. In fact, quantum chemsitry goes *WAY* deeper into technicalities, many-body formalisms, and math than a typical quantum mechanics course. QC currently has the most powerful many-body methods found anywhere in physics! The reason for this is that in quantum chemsity, you actually need to calculate numbers, and this requires a deep in sight into how all the quantum theory works and plays together.

To OP: I am sorry to say that, but if you really cannot get comfortable with the math, then computational chemistry is not for you. This is not about understanding the Schroedinger equation. The Schroedinger equation is step 1 of 20000. In order to do good quantum chemistry, you also need to have an in-depth knowledge of all the many-body theory, approximation methods (and their limits of applicability), technicalities (which program can do what and why?) and countless arcane details about special systems.

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a specific time.

2. How does the Schrodinger equation relate to quantum mechanics?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the behavior and properties of quantum particles, which behave differently than classical particles. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

3. Can you explain the mathematical components of the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation consists of two parts: the Hamiltonian operator and the wave function. The Hamiltonian operator represents the total energy of the system, while the wave function represents the state of the particle. The equation also includes the imaginary number, i, and the Planck's constant, h, which are used to calculate the probability of the particle's position.

4. How is the Schrodinger equation used in real-world applications?

The Schrodinger equation is used in a variety of fields, including quantum chemistry, material science, and electronics. It helps scientists understand the behavior of atoms and molecules, which is crucial in developing new materials and technologies. It also plays a crucial role in the design and functioning of electronic devices, such as transistors and computer chips.

5. Is it possible to visualize the solutions of the Schrodinger equation?

No, it is not possible to visualize the solutions of the Schrodinger equation because they represent the probability of finding a particle in a particular location, rather than the exact location of the particle. However, scientists use mathematical models and simulations to understand the behavior of quantum systems described by the Schrodinger equation.