How to get components of Riemann by measuring geodesic deviation?

In summary, Wheeler's Gravitation chapter 11 discusses how to measure all the components of the Jacobi curvature tensor.
shichao116
Hi all, I'm now reading Chap 11 of Gravitation by Wheeler, etc.

In exercise 11.7, by introducing Jacobi curvature tensor, which contains exactly the same information content as Riemann curvature tensor, we are asked to show that we can actually measure ALL components of Jacobi curvature tensor by measuring the geodesic deviation and thus we can measure all components of Riemann tensor because Riemann tensor can be expressed in terms of Jacobi tensor.

The component of Jacobi tensor: [tex]J^\mu_{\nu\alpha\beta}=J^\mu_{\nu\beta\alpha}=1/2(R^\mu_{\alpha\nu\beta}+R^\mu_{\beta\nu\alpha})[/tex], where R is Riemann tensor
The geodesic deviation equation in terms of Jacobi tensor is:

[tex](n^\mu;_\alpha u^\alpha);_\beta u^\beta+J^\mu_{\alpha\beta\gamma}u^\alpha u^\beta n^\gamma =0[/tex]

We are allowed to choose arbitrary vectors u and n, where u is the tangent vector of geodesic and n is the separation vector between fiducial geodesic and neighboring geodesic.

In other words, by choosing u and n, we can directly measure the 'relative acceleration' of geodesics using say, test particles, which is the first term in the geodesic equation above. If we choose u and n to be some basis vectors, we surely can obtain corresponding components of Jacobi tensor directly. But these components are all of form of [tex] J^\mu_{\alpha\alpha\gamma}[/tex], i.e. having the same value on the second and the third index(this is because we do derivatives to separation vector n twice in the same direction, which is by definition the deviation of geodesic with tangent vector u ). For instance, if we choose n = (1,0,0,0) and u = (0,1,0,0), we get [tex]n^\mu;_0;_0+J^\mu_{001}=0[/tex], thus obtain [tex]J^\mu_{001=-n^\mu;_0;_0}[/tex] . If we want to calculate other components, we have to choose u to be the form like (1,1,0,0). But in this way, while [tex] J^\mu_{01\gamma}[/tex] appears in the equation, [tex] J^\mu_{10\gamma}[/tex] also shows up(this is because we do derivatives to separation vector n twice in the same direction, which is by definition the deviation of geodesic with tangent vector u ). Then we have two unknowns in one equation. How to solve this problem?

(The rest 2 terms if of the form [tex] J^\mu_{00\gamma}[/tex] and [tex] J^\mu_{11\gamma}[/tex] which we already obtain directly by setting u to be basis vectors in 0 and 1 directions as indicated above)

Hope I clearly state the problem.

Thanks very much for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no.

You gone wrong in the part

J[itex]^{\mu}_{\alpha\alpha\gamma}[/itex] part.If you do it like that you will have same index 4 times in an expression.

(nμ;αuα);βuβ+Jμαβγuαuβnγ=0 this is correct. just think every u component =1 but keep u indices different. so you will can find every component of J by changing components of basis vectors.

I think this is a way to do it (if I didn't make a mistake).

Use J[itex]^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/itex] = J[itex]^{\mu}_{\alpha\gamma\beta}[/itex] along with J[itex]^{\mu}_{(\alpha\beta\gamma)}[/itex] = 0 to show J[itex]^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/itex] + J[itex]^{\mu}_{\beta\alpha\gamma}[/itex] = -J[itex]^{\mu}_{\gamma\alpha\beta}[/itex]

Then check the following. Suppose you want the specific component J[itex]^{\mu}_{\nu\rho\tau}[/itex] where the indices are considered fixed chosen values. Choose the [itex]\nu[/itex] component of n to be 1 and the other three components of n zero. Choose the [itex]\rho[/itex] and [itex]\tau[/itex] components of u to be 1 and the other two components zero. I think you will find that

J[itex]^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/itex] u[itex]\alpha[/itex] u[itex]\beta[/itex] n[itex]\gamma[/itex] will reduce to J[itex]^{\mu}_{\rho\rho\nu}[/itex] + J[itex]^{\mu}_{\tau\tau\nu}[/itex] - J[itex]^{\mu}_{\nu\rho\tau}[/itex]

Since you already know how to get the first two terms, you will be able to find J[itex]^{\mu}_{\nu\rho\tau}[/itex] from the geodesic deviation equation.

Last edited:
the thing is that , in question it asks you to use the geodesic equation to find the components.then you do not need to use the identity of symmetric part of jacobian curvature.
Using basis vectors in the geodesic equation doing just fine. he just made a mistake in indices.the second equation in his post was correct , just write for u[itex]^{\alpha}[/itex]=1 and u[itex]^{\beta}[/itex]=1 and keep indices of J as same. Then he is done.

crimsonidol said:
the thing is that , in question it asks you to use the geodesic equation to find the components.then you do not need to use the identity of symmetric part of jacobian curvature.
Using basis vectors in the geodesic equation doing just fine. he just made a mistake in indices.the second equation in his post was correct , just write for u[itex]^{\alpha}[/itex]=1 and u[itex]^{\beta}[/itex]=1 and keep indices of J as same. Then he is done.

Hi, crimsonidol. I don't understand your comment. In the exprssion J[itex]^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/itex]u[itex]\alpha[/itex]u[itex]\beta[/itex]n[itex]\gamma[/itex] you are required to sum over all values of [itex]\alpha[/itex] from 0 to 3 and similarly for [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex]. If you were to let all the components of u and all the components of n be equal to one, for example, then you would get a sum of 64 terms J[itex]^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/itex] (where [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex], and [itex]\gamma[/itex] would take on all values 0, 1, 2, 3).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment.

Last edited:
TSny said:
I think this is a way to do it (if I didn't make a mistake).

Use J[itex]^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/itex] = J[itex]^{\mu}_{\alpha\gamma\beta}[/itex] along with J[itex]^{\mu}_{(\alpha\beta\gamma)}[/itex] = 0 to show J[itex]^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/itex] + J[itex]^{\mu}_{\beta\alpha\gamma}[/itex] = -J[itex]^{\mu}_{\gamma\alpha\beta}[/itex]

Then check the following. Suppose you want the specific component J[itex]^{\mu}_{\nu\rho\tau}[/itex] where the indices are considered fixed chosen values. Choose the [itex]\nu[/itex] component of n to be 1 and the other three components of n zero. Choose the [itex]\rho[/itex] and [itex]\tau[/itex] components of u to be 1 and the other two components zero. I think you will find that

J[itex]^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/itex] u[itex]\alpha[/itex] u[itex]\beta[/itex] n[itex]\gamma[/itex] will reduce to J[itex]^{\mu}_{\rho\rho\nu}[/itex] + J[itex]^{\mu}_{\tau\tau\nu}[/itex] - J[itex]^{\mu}_{\nu\rho\tau}[/itex]

Since you already know how to get the first two terms, you will be able to find J[itex]^{\mu}_{\nu\rho\tau}[/itex] from the geodesic deviation equation.
Hi TSny, thanks very much, I think that's the kind of answer I'm looking for.

Yeah Tsny you are right. I think i got confused.Sorry for the confusion. in Jacobian always two indices same if we choose u's as basis vectors in some direction.I was thinking something else probably , but when i read again I got it.

But there is one thing confusing me. Should not we use a one form to get components of jacobian tensor.
I suppose our equation should look like
<w[itex]^{\mu}[/itex],[itex]\nabla_{u}[/itex][itex]\nabla_{u}[/itex]n>+J[itex]^{\mu}_{\alpha\alpha\gamma}[/itex]=0
where u and n chosen as u=e[itex]_{\alpha}[/itex] n=e[itex]_{\gamma}[/itex]

crimsonidol said:
But there is one thing confusing me. Should not we use a one form to get components of jacobian tensor.
I suppose our equation should look like
<w[itex]^{\mu}[/itex],[itex]\nabla_{u}[/itex][itex]\nabla_{u}[/itex]n>+J[itex]^{\mu}_{\alpha\alpha\gamma}[/itex]=0
where u and n chosen as u=e[itex]_{\alpha}[/itex] n=e[itex]_{\gamma}[/itex]

Yes, that looks correct to me. So, if you choose u and n as coordinate basis vectors, then you only get an expression for a component of J which has two subscripts that are identical. This is what was bothering shichao116. He was wondering how to get other components of J, such as those in which all three subscripts are different.

Actually, I just now noticed that MTW define J such that the order of the subscripts is different than what shichao116 wrote. MTW ties the first subscript with n and the last two subscripts with u whereas shichao116 is tying the first and second subscripts with u and the last subscript with n. So, in your example, MTW notation would be J[itex]^{\mu}_{\gamma\alpha\alpha}[/itex]. But, that doesn't change the general thrust of shichao116's question.

shichao116,

As I noted in a reply to crimsonidol, MTW appear to be using a different order of subscripts for J than you did. If you take a look at equation (11.35) you can see that the vector n is contracted with the first subscript of J rather than the last subscript. But that's not a big deal.

I believe I have another way to get any of the components of J. You already know how to get components of the form J[itex]^{\mu}_{\gamma\alpha\alpha}[/itex] (MTW's notation).

Now let u and v be two independent vectors and let w = u + v. Consider the geodesic deviation equation for a geodesic in the direction of w: ∇wwn + J(w,w)n = 0. Replace w by u + v in J(w,w) and use linearity of J along with J(u,v)n = J(v,u)n to get ∇wwn + J(u,u)n + J(v,v)n + 2J(u,v)n= 0. We assume we have knowledge of the value of the geodesic deviation term ∇wwn, so we can use the equation to solve for J(u,v)n in terms of things we know. Since we can choose u and v arbitrarily, we can get all the components of J.

TSny said:
shichao116,

As I noted in a reply to crimsonidol, MTW appear to be using a different order of subscripts for J than you did. If you take a look at equation (11.35) you can see that the vector n is contracted with the first subscript of J rather than the last subscript. But that's not a big deal.

I believe I have another way to get any of the components of J. You already know how to get components of the form J[itex]^{\mu}_{\gamma\alpha\alpha}[/itex] (MTW's notation).

Now let u and v be two independent vectors and let w = u + v. Consider the geodesic deviation equation for a geodesic in the direction of w: ∇wwn + J(w,w)n = 0. Replace w by u + v in J(w,w) and use linearity of J along with J(u,v)n = J(v,u)n to get ∇wwn + J(u,u)n + J(v,v)n + 2J(u,v)n= 0. We assume we have knowledge of the value of the geodesic deviation term ∇wwn, so we can use the equation to solve for J(u,v)n in terms of things we know. Since we can choose u and v arbitrarily, we can get all the components of J.
Hi TSny, thanks for sharing. This seems to be a more elegant way, I like it :)

Related to How to get components of Riemann by measuring geodesic deviation?

1. What is Riemann curvature tensor and why is it important in measuring geodesic deviation?

The Riemann curvature tensor is a mathematical tool used to describe the curvature of a smooth manifold, such as a curved space-time in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is important in measuring geodesic deviation because it quantifies the amount of bending or warping of space-time, which affects the motion of particles following geodesics (the shortest paths between points in curved space-time).

2. How do you measure geodesic deviation using Riemann curvature tensor?

To measure geodesic deviation, we use the Riemann curvature tensor to calculate the difference between two initially parallel geodesics (or paths) in curved space-time. This difference is known as the geodesic deviation vector and it represents the amount of separation or convergence of the two geodesics over a given distance.

3. Can geodesic deviation be measured in both two-dimensional and higher-dimensional spaces?

Yes, geodesic deviation can be measured in any smooth manifold, regardless of its dimension. In two-dimensional spaces, the curvature is described by the Gaussian curvature, while in higher-dimensional spaces, the Riemann curvature tensor becomes a more complex mathematical object with additional components.

4. How does the Riemann curvature tensor relate to the notion of gravity?

In Einstein's theory of general relativity, the Riemann curvature tensor is directly related to the distribution of matter and energy in space-time. This distribution is what we experience as gravity, and the Riemann curvature tensor allows us to calculate the strength of gravity at any point in space-time.

5. Are there any experiments or observations that have measured the components of Riemann curvature tensor?

Yes, there have been several experiments and observations that have indirectly measured the components of Riemann curvature tensor, such as the detection of gravitational waves and the bending of light by massive objects. However, directly measuring the components of Riemann curvature tensor is a challenging task and requires advanced mathematical techniques.