How to get the third value (A), using partial fractions

In summary, the student is trying to solve for A using a cancellation method but is having difficulty.
Jeviah

Homework Statement

y(w)= 3/(iw-1)^2(-4+iw)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

3/(iw-1)^2(-4+iw)
= A/iw-1 + B/(iw-1)^2 + C/-4+iw

for B iw = 1
B=3/-4+1 = -1

for C iw = 4
C= 3/(4-1)^2 = 1/3

I know the answer for A should be -1/3 however I am unsure how to obtain this as if the above cancellation method is used then the denominator equals 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to get a common denominator in part 3, and then write 3 equations with ## A ##, ## B ##, and ## C ##, so that the coefficients of the ## w^2 ## terms add to zero, the coefficients of the ## w ## terms add to zero, and the constant terms add to ## 3 ##. Do you see why?

Jeviah said:

Homework Statement

y(w)= 3/(iw-1)^2(-4+iw)

Homework Equations

N/A

3/(iw-1)^2(-4+iw)

for B iw = 1
B=3/-4+1 = -1

for C iw = 4
C= 3/(4-1)^2 = 1/3

I know the answer for A should be -1/3 however I am unsure how to obtain this as if the above cancellation method is used then the denominator equals 0.
I can't follow your logic here. Part of the problem is your notation. What does 3/(iw-1)^2(-4+iw) mean? What does C/-4+iw mean? Try using LaTeX. It is easy to use and makes it easy to express what you mean.

Jeviah said:

Homework Statement

y(w)= 3/(iw-1)^2(-4+iw)

Homework Equations

N/A

3/(iw-1)^2(-4+iw)

for B iw = 1
B=3/-4+1 = -1

for C iw = 4
C= 3/(4-1)^2 = 1/3

Your expressions are ambiguous and do not say what you probably mean. Your C/-4+iw means ##\frac{C}{-4} + iw##. If you mean ##\frac{C}{-4 + iw}## then you need parentheses, like this: C/(-4+iw)---simple, but effective!

Jeviah said:
The method you're using is quick, but as you've found out, it runs into some problems.

Starting from
$$\frac{3}{(i\omega-1)^2(-4+i\omega)} = \frac{A}{i\omega-1} + \frac{B}{(i\omega-1)^2} + \frac{C}{-4+i\omega},$$ if you multiply through by the denominator, you end up with
$$3 = A(i\omega - 1)(i\omega - 4) + B(i\omega-4) + C(i\omega-1)^2.$$
There are different approaches you can take from here. Charles suggested one above, and it's well worth trying it out and understanding how it works.

Alternately, you could, as before, set ##i\omega## to convenient values and solve for ##B## and ##C##. Once you have those, plug them back into the equation and then choose another value for ##i\omega## and solve for ##A##. Remember you can use any value for ##i\omega## since the equality has to hold for all ##\omega##.

1. How do you identify partial fractions?

Partial fractions are fractions that can be broken down into smaller fractions with simpler denominators. They usually involve a polynomial expression in the denominator and a constant or polynomial expression in the numerator.

2. Can you explain the process of finding the partial fraction decomposition?

The process of finding the partial fraction decomposition involves breaking down a rational expression into smaller fractions with simpler denominators. This is done by equating the original expression to a sum of smaller fractions and finding the values of the constants in the numerators using algebraic techniques.

3. How do you choose the partial fractions to use in the decomposition?

The partial fractions used in the decomposition are chosen based on the degrees of the polynomials in the numerator and denominator of the original expression. The number of fractions used will be equal to the degree of the denominator.

4. What is the purpose of using partial fractions?

Partial fractions are used to simplify complex rational expressions and make them easier to integrate or solve. They also allow for the use of known integration techniques, making the overall process more manageable.

5. Can you provide an example of solving for the third value (A) using partial fractions?

For example, if we have the expression (3x+1)/(x^2 + 2x + 1), we can break it down into A/(x+1) + B/(x+1)^2. We can then equate this to the original expression and solve for the constants A and B using algebraic techniques. In this case, A = 1 and B = 2.