How to improve in engineering exams

In summary, this person is looking for advice on how to better cope with their academic struggles and how to improve their test scores. They say that doing a post-mortem on the problems they got wrong helped them figure out why they got them wrong, that listening to the professor and trying to anticipate where the test might go helped them with that issue, and that they also practiced recalling the key equations they needed.
Granger
I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but here it goes...

I'm here to ask you what advice can you give me to achieve better results in engineering. I'm currently on my 5th semester and I'm still not managing to get good results. I really put effort on things, prepare myself, study hard both theory and exercises, and still manage to achieve poor results on tests, exams and lab assignments. I don't understand what I am doing wrong, but I'm currently feeling very stressed, frustrated and overwhelmed because it's horrible that after 5 semesters I'm still not coping with anything. It's really hard to maintain perseverance and optimism when everything seems to go wrong. So I'm looking for advice on how to study, how to manage time and stress, and basically how to cope with everything and maintain a regular good academic performance.

Thank you in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
It all starts with your problem set, quizzes and tests.

Have you done a post-mortem on the problems you got wrong to see why you got them wrong?

My brother once had this issue, where he constantly got his math problems wrong. Upon further investigation, it was revealed that he actually solved them correctly but when doing the check made a common mistake and went back to "correct" the problem answer. Sometimes we find that haste in one area can cause problems in another.

Are you having panic attacks when doing tests where you freeze and don't finish all problems?

Do you remember the fact and formulas correctly or do you struggle to remember them?

jedishrfu said:
It all starts with your problem set, quizzes and tests.

Have you done a post-mortem on the problems you got wrong to see why you got them wrong?

My brother once had this issue, where he constantly got his math problems wrong. Upon further investigation, it was revealed that he actually solved them correctly but when doing the check made a common mistake and went back to "correct" the problem answer. Sometimes we find that haste in one area can cause problems in another.

Are you having panic attacks when doing tests where you freeze and don't finish all problems?

Do you remember the fact and formulas correctly or do you struggle to remember them?

Hello! Thanks for your reply.
This semester I was taking 8.02 Physics (Electromagnetism) and tried to revise every problem I do, to check if I was really understanding the physics of the problem and I think it helped.
However yes on tests I freeze when I come up to some "different" problem. It happened last semester with Circuit Theory. My professor decided to mix diodes with circuit graphs and the problem was very easy I just froze and the moment I delivered the test the correct answer just popped on my head.
Sometimes yes, I have struggles relating information and facts...

I had the freeze issue too. Its common when you put so much emphasis on your grades. One thing we don’t often realize is that many future employers don’t bother to look at grades only degrees.

One trick I did was to write down the key equations I needed at the top of my test paper so I would refer to them rather than regurgitate them when needed.

This worked really well it Algebra 2 with the trig formulas and triangle ratios,

You'll need to develop strategies like this for your tests.

Another trick I learned was to listen real careful to what the prof says. Sometimes they will hint at or abruptly change topics when they realize they are about to spill the beans on a test problem. One math prof I had said that sometimes you need to integrate y before x in a double integral and his quiz had such a problem.

You could also practice anticipating where that might occur and ask in class about it.

Likes opus

1. How can I improve my time management during engineering exams?

Time management is crucial during engineering exams as it allows you to complete all the questions within the given time frame. One way to improve time management is by creating a study schedule and sticking to it. Prioritize your study material and allocate enough time for each subject. Additionally, practice solving past exam papers to get an idea of the time you need to spend on each question.

2. What techniques can I use to improve my problem-solving skills in engineering exams?

Problem-solving skills are essential in engineering exams as they require critical thinking and application of concepts. One technique to improve these skills is by practicing with different types of problems and understanding the underlying concepts. You can also work on your analytical and logical thinking abilities by solving puzzles and brain teasers. Additionally, seek help from your professors or peers if you are stuck on a problem.

3. How can I effectively review and revise my study material for engineering exams?

Effective reviewing and revision of study material is crucial for retaining information during engineering exams. One way to do this is by creating concise and organized notes while studying. You can also use flashcards or mind maps to help you remember important concepts. Practice solving problems and review your notes regularly, rather than cramming all the material in one sitting.

4. What are some tips for staying calm and focused during engineering exams?

Engineering exams can be stressful, but it is important to stay calm and focused to perform well. One tip is to get enough sleep the night before the exam and have a healthy breakfast in the morning. During the exam, take deep breaths and stay positive. If you encounter a difficult question, move on to the next one and come back to it later. Remember to also manage your time effectively to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

5. How can I improve my understanding and retention of concepts in engineering exams?

Understanding and retention of concepts is crucial for success in engineering exams. One way to improve this is by actively engaging in your studies rather than passively reading or listening to lectures. Ask questions, participate in class discussions, and practice applying the concepts learned. Additionally, try to relate the concepts to real-life examples to better understand and remember them. Regular review and practice can also aid in retention.