How to increase the voltage by using CS5173?

In summary: Wishes~The datasheet that you have referenced states that the absolute maximum rating of Vcc is 35 V. You can exceed that at your peril. Never operate at the absolute maximum rating. All test conditions in the datasheet indicate a 30 V maximum, that is probably a good maximum operating point for long term reliability.
ling1995
Hello~all,thanks for taking time to read my thread. I'm in hot water now,Can anybody here help me out?
Please look at the following picture,I would like to rise the voltage from 24V to 36V. And I did it according to the datasheet of CS5173. However,the chip always burned out ! I can’t understand what occurred ? Does anyone know ?Are the two parts in the picture of 22uH coupling transformers? Or they are absolute inductance?

Thank you in advance!
Wishes~
3.20.1.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Per the datasheet that you have referenced, the absolute maximum rating of Vcc is 35 V. You can exceed that at your peril. Never operate at the absolute maximum rating. All test conditions in the datasheet indicate a 30 V maximum, that is probably a good maximum operating point for long term reliability.

Those dots are for reference when using coupled inductors. If the 2 inductors are coupled, then the polarity dots should be observed. If not coupled then it does not matter.

Likes ling1995
Put a few diodes or zenner in series with VCC before the capacitor?

ling1995 said:
I would like to rise the voltage from 24V to 36V.

which voltage ?

lewando said:
Per the datasheet that you have referenced, the absolute maximum rating of Vcc is 35 V. You can exceed that at your peril. Never operate at the absolute maximum rating. All test conditions in the datasheet indicate a 30 V maximum, that is probably a good maximum operating point for long term reliability.

Those dots are for reference when using coupled inductors. If the 2 inductors are coupled, then the polarity dots should be observed. If not coupled then it does not matter.
But how do I know if them are coupled inductors? Could you explain it more clearly?Thank you!

An ordinary single inductor isn't polarised, you can fit it either way around. With two coupled inductors (aka transformer) the polarity of one inductor with respect to the other matters. That's why they put a dot. Google transformer dot convention.

Likes ling1995
Here is an example of coupled inductors:
http://www.coilcraft.com/pdfs/msd1260.pdf

The circuit you provided in your OP shows polarization if you choose to use coupled inductors. You do not need to use coupled inductors. Since you have built something already, why don't you tell us what specific components you are using. Also include what diode are you using.

ling1995 said:
However,the chip always burned out !
Does this mean it never worked? Even at 24 V? Or is there a specific input voltage that makes it fail? What output current are you trying to provide when it fails?

Likes ling1995

1. How does the CS5173 increase voltage?

The CS5173 is a voltage regulator that uses a switching mechanism to increase the input voltage to a desired output voltage. It works by rapidly turning the input voltage on and off, and then smoothing out the resulting wave to create a higher output voltage.

2. What is the maximum voltage increase achievable with the CS5173?

The maximum voltage increase that can be achieved with the CS5173 depends on the input voltage and the desired output voltage. However, it is limited by the maximum input voltage that the regulator can handle, which is typically around 50 volts.

3. Can the CS5173 be used for both AC and DC voltage increase?

Yes, the CS5173 can be used for both AC and DC voltage increase. However, it is important to note that the input voltage must match the type of voltage being outputted. For example, if the input voltage is AC, then the output voltage will also be AC.

4. How does the CS5173 compare to other voltage regulators in terms of efficiency?

The CS5173 is a highly efficient voltage regulator, with efficiency rates of up to 95%. This means that it wastes less energy and produces less heat compared to other voltage regulators, making it a more cost-effective and reliable option.

5. What are some common applications of the CS5173?

The CS5173 is commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and mobile phones, where a stable and reliable voltage supply is necessary. It is also used in power supply units for industrial and commercial equipment, as well as in automotive systems.