How to integrate this by parts?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate by parts twice when faced with a specific expression involving the curl operator. The conversation mentions using the product rule for differentiation and manipulating a definition of the curl operation to find a generalization of the integration by parts formula. The desired result is proportional to an integral involving unit vectors and the given expression.
Dixanadu
THIS HOMEWORK PROBLEM WAS SUBMITTED TO THE WRONG FORUM, AND THERE IS NO TEMPLATE.
Hey guys,

So here's the issue I'm faced with. I need to integrate the following by parts (twice):

[itex]\int d^{3}y\, e^{ik(\hat{n}_{0}-\hat{n})\cdot\vec{y}}\left[ \nabla\times\nabla\times\hat{\epsilon}_{0} \right][/itex]

And I have absolutely no clue how to approach this. The result I'm meant to reach is proportional to

[itex]\int d^{3}y\, e^{ik(\hat{n}_{0}-\hat{n})\cdot\vec{y}} \hat{n}\times\hat{n}\times\hat{\epsilon}_{0}[/itex]

The hats denote unit vectors I believe.

I don't know how to integrate by parts an expression involving the curl operator...can someone help please?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Integration by parts in the usual case works because of the product rule for differentiation:

$$ \frac{d}{dx} (f g) = \frac{df}{dx} g + f \frac{dg}{dx} .$$

In your case, you need to use some definition of the curl operation to show that

$$ \nabla \times (f \vec{A}) = \nabla f \times \vec{A} + f (\nabla \times \vec{A}).$$

You can then manipulate this in a way analogous to the usual integration by parts formula to find an appropriate generalization.

1. What is integration by parts and when is it used?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It is typically used when the integral is not easily evaluated by other methods, such as substitution or trigonometric identities.

2. How do I know which function to choose for u and v?

When using integration by parts, the choice of u and v depends on the original integral. Generally, you want to choose u as the "more complicated" function and v as the "simpler" function. For example, if the integral contains a polynomial and an exponential function, u should be the exponential function and v should be the polynomial.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the chosen functions and du and dv are their respective differentials.

4. How do I know when to stop using integration by parts?

You should continue using integration by parts until the integral becomes simpler or until you reach a point where the integral can be evaluated using other methods. If the integral becomes more complicated, you may need to use integration by parts again.

5. Are there any tricks or tips for solving integrals using integration by parts?

One trick for solving integrals using integration by parts is to use the acronym "LIATE" to help choose u and v. This stands for Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential functions. Generally, u should be chosen according to this order, with the first function on the list being the most complicated.