Deriving an identity using Einstein's summation notation

So there must be something missing in the first expression..In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying an expression using Einstein summation notation and cross products. The speaker suggests writing the expression in coordinates and using Einstein notation to better understand the process. They also mention that the first expression may be missing a term based on dimensional analysis.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Derive the Identitiy using Einstein Summation Notation
Relevant Equations
$$\vec{\nabla} \times (\frac{\vec{m} \times \hat{r}}{r^2}) = ?$$
I have an identity

$$\vec{\nabla} \times (\frac{\vec{m} \times \hat{r}}{r^2})$$

which should give us

$$3(\vec{m} \cdot \hat{r}) \hat{r} - \vec{m}$$

But I have to derive it using the Einstein summation notation.

How can I approach this problem to simplify things ?

Should I do something like ##\vec{k}=\vec{m} \times \hat{r}## ? and then

$$\vec{\nabla} \times (\frac{\vec{k}}{r^2}) = \frac{r^2 \nabla \times \vec{k} - \nabla(r^2) \times \vec{k}}{ r^4} $$ ? But it seems like things getting more complicated this way.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have three vectors and a scalar, which also depends on the same coordinates than one of the vectors. Einstein notation is an abbreviation for sums. The summands are written in coordinates. So write down your expression in coordinates and build the cross product.

fresh_42 said:
You have three vectors and a scalar, which also depends on the same coordinates than one of the vectors. Einstein notation is an abbreviation for sums. The summands are written in coordinates. So write down your expression in coordinates and build the cross product.

I guess its like this

$$(∂_w(m_i)r_j/r_l^2 + ∂_w(r_j)m_j/r_l^2 + ∂_w(1/r_l^2)m_ir_j) \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{wkh}\hat{e}_h$$ what will happen to

Last edited:
I don't know how the cross product is written with Einstein. I would write the entire expression in all three coordinates and then repeat it in the shorter notation to see how it is used and what for. It's important in physics to become fit in it. I am not. That's why I would go the long path.

##r^2=r_1^2+r_2^2+r_3^2=r^ir_i## is a scalar, so you can pull it out of the second, inner cross product, but the outer one are differential operators which apply to ##r_i##.

fresh_42 said:
I don't know how the cross product is written with Einstein. I would write the entire expression in all three coordinates and then repeat it in the shorter notation to see how it is used and what for. It's important in physics to become fit in it. I am not. That's why I would go the long path.

##r^2=r_1^2+r_2^2+r_3^2=r^ir_i## is a scalar, so you can pull it out of the second, inner cross product, but the outer one are differential operators which apply to ##r_i##.

Hmm I see. I am sharing a pdf. I am using that kind of notations. I don't know upper index notation ..

I find something like $$(∂_w(m_i)r_j/r_l^2 + ∂_w(r_j)m_j/r_l^2 + ∂_w(1/r_l^2)m_ir_j) \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{wkh}\hat{e}_h$$

Attachments

• index-notation.pdf
    105.1 KB · Views: 316
Arman777 said:
Hmm I see. I am sharing a pdf. I am using that kind of notations. I don't know upper index notation ..

I find something like $$(∂_w(m_i)r_j/r_l^2 + ∂_w(r_j)m_j/r_l^2 + ∂_w(1/r_l^2)m_ir_j) \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{wkh}\hat{e}_h$$
In Cartesian coordinates, you can forget about the difference between upper and lower index, it is only in curvilinear coordinate systems (and on manifolds) that it makes a difference.

Note that ##\vec m## is a constant vector and that ##\partial x^i/\partial x^j = \delta_{ij}##. You can also apply the ##\epsilon##-##\delta## relation to your expression.

Arman777 said:
I have an identity

$$\vec{\nabla} \times (\frac{\vec{m} \times \hat{r}}{r^2})$$

which should give us

$$3(\vec{m} \cdot \hat{r}) \hat{r} - \vec{m}$$

Note that this cannot possibly be true just based on dimensional analysis. The derivative has dimensions 1/L and what you differentiate in the first expression has dimensions of ##[m]/\mathsf L^2##, making the full first expression have dimension ##[m]/\mathsf L^3##, whereas your second expression has dimension ##[m]##.

What is Einstein's summation notation?

Einstein's summation notation, also known as Einstein notation or tensor index notation, is a mathematical notation used to describe and manipulate tensors in physics. It was introduced by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

How is Einstein's summation notation used to derive an identity?

Einstein's summation notation is used to represent the summation of repeated indices in a tensor equation. By manipulating the notation using index contraction and raising or lowering indices, one can derive identities and equations that describe the behavior of tensors in a concise and elegant way.

What are the benefits of using Einstein's summation notation?

Using Einstein's summation notation allows for a more compact and efficient representation of tensor equations, making them easier to work with and understand. It also helps to reveal the underlying symmetries and patterns in the equations, leading to a deeper understanding of the physical concepts involved.

Are there any limitations to using Einstein's summation notation?

While Einstein's summation notation is a powerful tool, it is not suitable for all types of tensors and equations. It is best suited for tensors with a fixed number of indices and equations with symmetrical and well-defined properties. Additionally, it may become cumbersome when dealing with higher-order tensors or when dealing with multiple simultaneous summations.

How can one learn to use Einstein's summation notation effectively?

Like any mathematical notation, learning to use Einstein's summation notation effectively takes practice and familiarity. It is important to have a strong understanding of tensor algebra and the properties of tensors before attempting to use the notation. Additionally, studying and working through examples and exercises can help to improve proficiency in using this notation.