How to know which way to integrate?

• Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in answers obtained when integrating cos(x)sin(x). The poster initially gets a different result than what is given by Wolfram and their book, but it is clarified that both answers are correct due to the inclusion of an integration constant. The conversation also highlights the relationship between sin(x) and cos(x) and how they can be used interchangeably in integrals.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Please see the attachment. This isn't a question, but more so my understanding of the book.

Please read the middle paragraph. So I'm suppose to take an integral of cos(x)sin(x)

Wolfram and my book give the answer as -(1/2)cos(x)^2, but when I did it I got it as (1/2)sin(x)^2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the derivative of (1/2)sin(x)^2. you do indeed get cos(x)sin(x). But when evaluating the differential equation for the initial condition, when using (1/2)sin(x)^2. you get c = 4, but when using -(1/2)cos(x)^2 you get 3.

How am I suppose to know which one to use? Taking the derivative of both you get the same answer, but when doing the initial condition you don't..

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
I just don't see the point in making the integral [itex] -\int {cos(x)-(sin(x)dx) }[/itex] when you can just do [itex] \int {sin(x)(cos(x)dx) } [/itex] with u = sinx du = cosx dx ... and obviously it gives different answers in the end so yeah.. does anyone know why exactly?

Now that I look back on it... so I get 4 for my constant value... so what?! My answer could still be right then, right?

So if I have [itex] y^2(1-x^2) + (sin(x))^2 = 4 [/itex], it should be the same as [itex] y^2(1-x^2) - (cos(x))^2 = 3 [/itex]

Last edited:
Rijad Hadzic said:
I just don't see the point in making the integral [itex] -\int {cos(x)-(sin(x)dx) }[/itex] when you can just do [itex] \int {sin(x)(cos(x)dx) } [/itex] with u = sinx du = cosx dx ... and obviously it gives different answers in the end so yeah.. does anyone know why exactly?
You forgot the integration constant.
##\int{\cos(x) \sin(x)dx}=\frac{1}{2}\sin^2(x) + C_1## and it is the same as ##-\frac{1}{2}\cos^2(x) + C_2## , as
## \sin^2(x)+\cos^2(x)=1##.
So ##\frac{1}{2}\sin^2(x) + C_1 =-\frac{1}{2}\cos^2(x)+\frac{1}{2}+C_1##, so
## C_2=0.5+C_1##

Gotcha. Thanks for that breakdown there. Really puts the relationship between sin/cos in a way that I can understand. Thanks.

1. What is integration and why is it important?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is an important tool in mathematics and science because it allows us to solve problems involving rates of change, accumulation, and finding the total value of a function.

2. How do I determine which way to integrate?

The direction of integration depends on the limits of integration and the orientation of the curve. If the limits are from left to right, the integration should be from left to right. If the limits are from right to left, the integration should be from right to left. If the curve is oriented vertically, the integration should be from bottom to top. If the curve is oriented horizontally, the integration should be from top to bottom.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the value of the integral between specific limits, while indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function. In other words, definite integration gives a numerical value, while indefinite integration gives a function.

4. Can I use integration to solve real-world problems?

Yes, integration is commonly used in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields to solve real-world problems. It can be used to calculate areas, volumes, work, and other quantities that represent the total value of a changing system.

5. What are some tips for integrating more efficiently?

One tip is to break the integral into smaller, easier to solve parts. Another tip is to use substitution or integration by parts to simplify the integral. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with common integrals and their solutions.