How to make a simple x vs y graph in Google docs

In summary, to make a scatter chart in Google Docs, you first have to select the data, then choose the chart type, and then choose Data --> Chart type --> Scatter chart.
sp3sp2sp
If I select two columns of data what are the steps to make a simple x vs y graph of that data? I know its sort of a dumb question but i can't see how to do this. It automatically suggests any graph other than a basic x vs y. Thanks for any help

Computer science news on Phys.org
I assume you want the data displayed as points rather than lines, bars, wedges, etc.

Select the data you want to plot.
In the menu at the top, choose Insert --> Chart. The default is a line graph.
In the Chart Editor, choose Data --> Chart type --> Scatter chart. This gives you points instead of a line.

graph.gif

Attachments

• graph.gif
    graph.gif
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,297
Thanks for the steps jtbell appreciate it. I did exactlt as you specified and I can get the scatter chart but the x-axis is always missing. I attached pic of what it looks like. Its just random numbers. Thanks for any more help

Attachments

• Untitled spreadsheet - Sheet1.pdf
    21.1 KB · Views: 339
That looks like it's plotting the x and y values separately, blue and red respectively. I have to go out soon, but later today I'll try to reproduce your result and see how the steps differ from the way I made my plot.

In the meantime, try adding labels to the top of each column of data (like my x and y) and include them when you select the data. Maybe that makes a difference.

I tried to copy your data by reading the x and y values from your graph. Here's what I got immediately after choosing Insert --> Chart:

graph2.gif

Then after changing it to a scatter chart, without touching any of the other settings in the chart editor:

graph3.gif

As you can see, I have both x and y axes, and a single set of points. In the chart editor, there are ranges for "X-axis" and "Series". I bet you have a blank "X-axis" and two "Series".

[added] Aha! I deleted the "X-axis" range in the chart editor, and added a second "Series" with the range A2:A7:

graph4.gif

The graph looks like what you have, except that the colors are switched. If you have something similar in the chart editor, try deleting one of the "Series" and putting it in the "X-axis".

Attachments

• graph2.gif
    graph2.gif
    35.6 KB · Views: 771
  • graph3.gif
    graph3.gif
    32 KB · Views: 982
  • graph4.gif
    graph4.gif
    33.1 KB · Views: 647
Wouldn't hurt to know what program do you use. For example I am not 100% sure Excel and OpenOffice Calc work the same way.

Thank you again for this help. I finally found out that if I select data columns in separate steps then it will plot the points and plot line.
Im trying to plot pressure vs temp to extrapolate value for absolute zero, but the graph looks pretty bad with the values i got from lab. I think I should repeat lab
btw Borek this is all in google docs.
chart.png

Attachments

• chart.png
    chart.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 759

1. How do I insert data into a Google Docs graph?

To insert data into a Google Docs graph, first select the cells containing the data you want to plot. Then, click on the "Insert" tab and select "Chart" from the drop-down menu. Choose the type of graph you want to create and click "Insert". Your data will automatically be plotted on the graph.

2. How do I change the type of graph in Google Docs?

To change the type of graph in Google Docs, click on the graph to select it. Then, click on the "Chart editor" button in the toolbar. In the "Setup" tab, you can choose from various options for the type of graph, such as bar, line, or pie. Select the one you want and click "Insert". The graph will automatically update with the new type.

3. How do I edit the labels and titles on a Google Docs graph?

To edit the labels and titles on a Google Docs graph, click on the graph to select it. Then, click on the "Chart editor" button in the toolbar. In the "Customize" tab, you can change the chart title, axis labels, and legend. Simply click on the text box you want to edit and type in your desired label or title. Click "Apply" to save your changes.

4. How do I add a trendline to a Google Docs graph?

To add a trendline to a Google Docs graph, click on the graph to select it. Then, click on the "Chart editor" button in the toolbar. In the "Customize" tab, click on the "Trendline" option. You can choose from several types of trendlines, such as linear, exponential, or polynomial. Once you select the type, the trendline will automatically be added to your graph.

5. How do I resize a Google Docs graph?

To resize a Google Docs graph, click on the graph to select it. Then, click and drag one of the corner handles to adjust the size. You can also click and drag the graph to reposition it on the page. If you want to maintain the proportions of the graph, hold down the "Shift" key while resizing.