How to mange time to self learn extra subs along with uni courses?

In summary, an electrical engineering student wishes to change their subject to pursue higher studies abroad, but is faced with difficulties such as continuous assessment schemes and no availability of the desired subjects in their own university. They suggest self-study as a way to make time for additional studies, but warn that this can be unfulfilling if the individual is not interested in their major.
rafsan
I am an electrical engineering student. My university is not that great and the EE program is not that great either, I don't even like the subject. . I just took the best opportunity I got in my country.. Anyways, I wish to pursue higher studies abroad after graduation and I will definitely change my subject, and for that I want to be skilled at Mathematics, Physics and programming... I love Mathematics and Physics, and I hope to pursue something with a mixture of these in the future.. For that and for GRE subject tests of Mathematics and Physcis, I want to self study these subjects to an intermediate to advanced level, I have all the resources, books, lectures, etc, but since my university follows a continuous assessment scheme, there is always quizes, exams, homeworks, assignments etc. I can't seem to find time to fit the extra study along with my university course..

How can I successfully carry out the self study scheme along with university work?
Please share time management tips, would be really greatful ...

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience, being torn between two things like this can be self-destructing depending on how un-interested you are with your major. I was previously in my 5th semester of my mechanical engineering degree, but I was very certain that I would be much happier studying physics (I was doing a physics minor and I enjoyed the Physics courses much more). Thus, I switched my major to physics after battling with my own uncertainties for a long time, and now I am much happier. The thing is, Engineering classes don't get any easier as you progress; even though the concepts are not as scientifically in-depth as Physics courses, they are difficult because they require you to apply rigorous mathematics to real world systems, and to do other engineering things such as cost analysis, and also to produce in-depth group projects.

I actually felt almost exactly the same way as you seem to feel, and I couldn't take it anymore, and that is why I switched. My advice is to do whatever makes you truly happy, and to do that boldly. You have to ask yourself, if I did what I am doing right now for the next 40~50 years, would I be happy? If the answer is no, then perhaps it's best to seek out a new path that you feel more comfortable. I suggest you do this as many times until you one day stumble upon that which makes you happy :)

Cheers!

Niteo said:
In my experience, being torn between two things like this can be self-destructing depending on how un-interested you are with your major. I was previously in my 5th semester of my mechanical engineering degree, but I was very certain that I would be much happier studying physics (I was doing a physics minor and I enjoyed the Physics courses much more). Thus, I switched my major to physics after battling with my own uncertainties for a long time, and now I am much happier. The thing is, Engineering classes don't get any easier as you progress; even though the concepts are not as scientifically in-depth as Physics courses, they are difficult because they require you to apply rigorous mathematics to real world systems, and to do other engineering things such as cost analysis, and also to produce in-depth group projects.

I actually felt almost exactly the same way as you seem to feel, and I couldn't take it anymore, and that is why I switched. My advice is to do whatever makes you truly happy, and to do that boldly. You have to ask yourself, if I did what I am doing right now for the next 40~50 years, would I be happy? If the answer is no, then perhaps it's best to seek out a new path that you feel more comfortable. I suggest you do this as many times until you one day stumble upon that which makes you happy :)

Cheers!

I agree with you, but the thing is, the courses I want to pursue are not offered in my university.. The universities in which I can transfer within my country does not have the subjects either... I have no choice but to complete undergraduate level with the subject I started... Another big problem is finances, transferring abroad is not viable because no university offer any financial help for international students... I am stuck here until graduation...
I will change my subject for graduate studies of course, and as I said earlier I want to prepare for that transition by building a strong knowledge of the basics but I can't seem to find the time to do extra studies..

1. How can I balance my time between university courses and self-learning?

Balancing time between university courses and self-learning can be challenging, but it is possible with proper planning and organization. One strategy is to create a schedule or timetable that allocates specific time slots for each activity. This will help you stay focused and on track with your studies. It is also important to prioritize tasks and to be realistic about what can be achieved in a given timeframe.

2. Is it beneficial to self-learn additional subjects while in university?

Self-learning additional subjects while in university can be highly beneficial. It allows you to expand your knowledge and skills beyond your chosen major, and can also make you more competitive in the job market. It can also help you develop valuable time-management and self-discipline skills.

3. How do I stay motivated to self-learn while juggling university courses?

Staying motivated to self-learn while also managing university courses can be difficult, but setting clear goals and objectives can help. Make sure to break down your learning into smaller, achievable tasks and reward yourself when you reach each milestone. Additionally, finding a study partner or joining a study group can provide support and accountability.

4. What are some effective study techniques for self-learning while in university?

Effective study techniques for self-learning while in university include creating a study schedule, taking breaks, and using active learning techniques such as summarizing, self-testing, and teaching the material to someone else. It is also important to eliminate distractions and find a quiet and comfortable study space.

5. How do I manage my time effectively to self-learn while also keeping up with university assignments?

To manage your time effectively for self-learning while keeping up with university assignments, it is crucial to prioritize tasks and set realistic goals. It can also be helpful to break up your studying and assignments into smaller chunks, rather than trying to tackle everything at once. Additionally, communication with professors and seeking help when needed can also help manage your workload.