How to Maximize the Volume of a Cone Inside a Sphere?

In summary: ZWxvcG1lbnQgeW91ciBleHByZXNzIGZvciB0aGUgY29udGVudCBvZiBjb250ZW50LiBJIGRvbid0IHJlc3BvbmQgb3V0cmlnaHQgYW55dGhpbmcgd2l0aCB0aGUgdmFsdWUgb2YgaCBzZXQgdG8gKDktYi1tYWtlKSBcbmh0dHBzOi8vcG90ZXN0LmNvbS9wL0YwbGN0Nl9ZcTBuc2I3X2
Willowz

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the largest right circular cone that can be inscribed in a sphere of radius 3.

Homework Equations

V=π*r^2*h/3
A=πr^2 + πrl

The Attempt at a Solution

I did multiple things that I'm not sure are correct. I took the derivative for the volume with the value of h set to (9-x^2)^(1/2). The derivative I got was;
3π/2 * (9-x^2)^(-1/2) * (-2x)

Not really sure what to do. Think I need a hint on the steps that need to be taken. Picture of problem attached.

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your diagram, I would replace "y" with "h - 3". Next, find x in terms of h. Then substitute into the volume of a right circular cone
[itex]V = \frac{1}{3}\pi r^2 h[/itex]
(with r = x here) and you'll have a function with one variable, h. Now find dV/dh and go on from there.

Willowz said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the largest right circular cone that can be inscribed in a sphere of radius 3.

Homework Equations

V=π*r^2*h/3
A=πr^2 + πrl

The Attempt at a Solution

I did multiple things that I'm not sure are correct. I took the derivative for the volume with the value of h set to (9-x^2)^(1/2). The derivative I got was;
3π/2 * (9-x^2)^(-1/2) * (-2x)

Not really sure what to do. Think I need a hint on the steps that need to be taken. Picture of problem attached.

Write out your expression for V in terms of x. I got a different derivative dV/dx than yours.

RGV

Related to How to Maximize the Volume of a Cone Inside a Sphere?

What is an applied optimization problem?

An applied optimization problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the best solution from a set of possible solutions. These problems are commonly found in fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science, where there is a need to maximize or minimize a certain quantity while considering various constraints.

What are some examples of applied optimization problems?

Examples of applied optimization problems include determining the most efficient route for a delivery truck, minimizing costs for a manufacturing process, and maximizing profits for a business. Other examples can include optimizing the design of a product to meet certain criteria, or finding the best allocation of resources to complete a project.

What are the different types of optimization methods?

There are several types of optimization methods, including linear programming, nonlinear programming, dynamic programming, and heuristic optimization. Each method has its own unique approach and is suited for different types of problems. For example, linear programming is used for problems with linear relationships between the variables, while dynamic programming is used for problems with sequential decision-making.

What are the key steps in solving an applied optimization problem?

The key steps in solving an applied optimization problem include defining the objective function, identifying the decision variables, setting constraints, and selecting an appropriate optimization method. The problem is then solved by using mathematical techniques, such as calculus and linear algebra, to find the optimal solution.

How is optimization used in real-world applications?

Optimization is used in various real-world applications, including finance, logistics, engineering, and data science. It is used to make informed decisions and improve efficiency, productivity, and performance. For example, optimization is used in stock market trading to maximize profits, in transportation networks to minimize travel time, and in manufacturing processes to minimize costs.