Volume of an oblique circular cone

In summary: Hello, I want to use calculus. I have had an answer from another person and, from how he tackled this problem, I see that the problem in my integral is that I considered the thickness to ne ##dx##, but it should ##dz=dx\sin\theta##.It's hard to tell from your graphic, but I'm not sure what you are describing is even a cone, slanted or not. Is the base curve a circle? Ellipse? Look at the following figure:You should have a base and the cross sections should be similar as in the figure. The volume of any such solid is the one third the area of the base times the vertical height. I don't think the angle
archaic
Homework Statement
Find the volume of a circular cone.
Relevant Equations
N/A
This is not homework. I have given myself two parameters; ##\theta##, and ##\alpha##. (see figure, it is a side view):
The idea is to find an expression for the radius of the circles as ##x## varies on that line (figure), then sum up infinitely many cylinders of infinitesimal thickness.
The radii all have an angle ##\theta## with the ##x##-axis, and meet with the line making an angle ##\alpha## with the same axis at ##x=b##, thus:
$$r(x)=\sqrt{(b-x)^2+(b\tan\alpha)^2}$$
To find ##b##, I need to solve ##(\tan\alpha)x-\tan\theta(x-b)=0##, which gives me:
$$b=\frac{\tan\theta-\tan\alpha}{\tan\theta}x$$
If the line upon which I put my ##x##-axis has a length ##a##, then the volume of the cone is:
$$\pi\int_0^ar^2(x)dx$$
Is the reasoning correct?
EDIT:
I could've also remembered triangles' similarities and notice that ##\frac{R}{a}=\frac{r(x)}{x}##.

Attachments

• 20200214_144108.jpg
    20200214_144108.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is "a"? (I mean how do you define it.) The technique is correct until you encounter the "slanty" bottom of the cone. But notice you can cut the cone into a right angle cone and a slanty bottom piece. The slanty bottom part will have half the volume of a full cone bottom segment. So split the integral up.

hutchphd said:
What is "a"? (I mean how do you define it.) The technique is correct until you encounter the "slanty" bottom of the cone. But notice you can cut the cone into a right angle cone and a slanty bottom piece. The slanty bottom part will have half the volume of a full cone bottom segment. So split the integral up.
##a## is the length which coincides with the ##x##-axis.

You need a mathematical definition a=?
Also does the statement of the problem specify an oblique cone?

hutchphd said:
You need a mathematical definition a=?
Also does the statement of the problem specify an oblique cone?
##a## is a constant. It is an exercise for myself, no statement, but no, general case.

Is ("a") shown on your picture...I don't know what it has to do with your question.

hutchphd said:
Is ("a") shown on your picture...I don't know what it has to do with your question.
20200214_144108.jpg

Do you wish this to be an exercise in solid geometry or calculus? If calculus then you need to do the integral in 3 dimensions. If solid geometry you just need the solution regular cone and some intuition.
The drawing is not quite accurate if x is supposed to be the rotational axis of the cone...it will be lower at the left. And the simple interal you show will not be quite correct.

hutchphd said:
Do you wish this to be an exercise in solid geometry or calculus? If calculus then you need to do the integral in 3 dimensions. If solid geometry you just need the solution regular cone and some intuition.
The drawing is not quite accurate if x is supposed to be the rotational axis of the cone...it will be lower at the left. And the simple interal you show will not be quite correct.
Hello, I want to use calculus. I have had an answer from another person and, from how he tackled this problem, I see that the problem in my integral is that I considered the thickness to ne ##dx##, but it should ##dz=dx\sin\theta##.

It's hard to tell from your graphic, but I'm not sure what you are describing is even a cone, slanted or not. Is the base curve a circle? Ellipse? Look at the following figure:
slantedcone.jpg

You should have a base and the cross sections should be similar as in the figure. The volume of any such solid is the one third the area of the base times the vertical height. I don't think the angle between a slant height and the center of the base to the vertex is constant. That's what I think you are calling ##\alpha##.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of an oblique circular cone?

The formula for calculating the volume of an oblique circular cone is V = (1/3)πr2h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone.

2. How is an oblique circular cone different from a right circular cone?

An oblique circular cone is a cone where the apex is not directly above the center of the base, whereas a right circular cone has the apex directly above the center of the base.

3. What units are used for measuring the volume of an oblique circular cone?

The volume of an oblique circular cone can be measured in any unit of volume, such as cubic inches, cubic feet, or liters.

4. Can the volume of an oblique circular cone be negative?

No, the volume of an oblique circular cone cannot be negative as it represents the amount of space occupied by the cone, which cannot be less than zero.

5. How can the volume of an oblique circular cone be used in real life?

The volume of an oblique circular cone can be used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the capacity of ice cream cones, determining the volume of a cone-shaped container, or finding the volume of a traffic cone for construction purposes.