How to measure a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of electronics and magnetism, specifically creating an electro magnet and measuring its magnetic field. The first question is about how to measure the magnetic field and what equipment is needed, with the suggestion to use commercially available hall effect sensor ICs. The second question is about where to buy magnets, with a preference for environmentally friendly and fair trade options. The conversation also touches on the importance of zeroing the probe and understanding the effects of the Earth's magnetic field and other environmental factors on measurements. The conversation ends with a suggestion to start building the equipment and learning through experimentation.
pdm
Hi,

I hope that's the correct forum. So I'd like to play around with electronics and magnetism. Meaning: I'd like to build myself a electro magnet and then do some fancy stuff with it. Probably I'll try to recreate this https://www.reddit.com/r/woahdude/comments/881wgw/ferrofluid_inside_of_a_rotating_magnetic_field/

Question 1:
Assume I have a magnet, like your refrigerator magnet or whatever. I'd like to measure its magnetic field. How would I do that? What equipment would I need and how would I actually measure it? I guess I'd use some equipment to obtain data points in 3D space, right and then just interpolate it, right? How to protect from noise easily?

I'd like to build the equipment myself, so just buy the acutal sensors but without all the other stuff. (Mainly to get into electronics again a bit)

Question 2:
If I buy a magnet, there'll probably be a facts sheet about all that right? If so, is there a good shop where I can buy magnets? I'd prefere a shop that is environmental and fair trade etc. etc.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably the best DIY method would be based on commercially available hall effect sensor ICs. Look at Melexis MLX91209 for example. You would need to provide some simple circuitry to power it and measure it's output.

Likes OmCheeto and dlgoff

I bought a copy of this book while its late author was alive.
It is the best treatment i have ever seen.
If you find a copy grab it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006QVDJK/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I really hope somebody buys the rights and re-issues it. Ahem - Dover Press are you listening ?

One thing you will need to remember. The Earth (and other structures, items, electronics, anything really) will generate a magnetic field. This will NOT be uniform and could change based on time and your location. Your reading will also change based on the angle and direction of the gaussemeter probe (read about magnetic field lines).

What is the takeway. Zero your probe before use in the orientation you plan on using it at the location you plan on using it. If you are going to try readings at different angles, distances, etc, you may want to get a baseline to know how your environment will affect your probe readings.

I hope I am not overcomplicating this for you

jim hardy said:
I bought a copy of this book while its late author was alive.
It is the best treatment i have ever seen.
If you find a copy grab it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006QVDJK/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I really hope somebody buys the rights and re-issues it. Ahem - Dover Press are you listening ?

going to take a look, thanks!

donpacino said:
One thing you will need to remember. The Earth (and other structures, items, electronics, anything really) will generate a magnetic field. This will NOT be uniform and could change based on time and your location. Your reading will also change based on the angle and direction of the gaussemeter probe (read about magnetic field lines).

What is the takeway. Zero your probe before use in the orientation you plan on using it at the location you plan on using it. If you are going to try readings at different angles, distances, etc, you may want to get a baseline to know how your environment will affect your probe readings.

I hope I am not overcomplicating this for you

I don't really get what you mean with baseline but it's not the first data-colelction/experimentation I'm doing, so I'm aware that there are lot's of noise-sources and such. One though I had was to buy magnet where I have a data sheet so I can check how well my gauss meter actually works (if there are such magnets with such data sheets) - could also be a nice way to check for any noise sources. Anyway, I'll just start building it and see what happens then.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that is created by moving electric charges. It surrounds a magnet or electric current and can exert a force on other magnetic materials.

2. How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device can detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a specific location.

3. What unit is used to measure magnetic field?

The unit used to measure magnetic field is called the Tesla (T). In some cases, the unit Gauss (G) may also be used, with 1 T equal to 10,000 G.

4. What are the different techniques for measuring magnetic field?

There are several techniques for measuring magnetic field, including using a Hall effect sensor, a fluxgate magnetometer, a search coil magnetometer, and a vibrating sample magnetometer.

5. How accurate are magnetic field measurements?

The accuracy of magnetic field measurements depends on the type of equipment used, the location of the measurement, and other external factors such as interference from nearby magnetic materials. Generally, modern magnetometers can measure magnetic fields with a high degree of precision.