How to measure and control the torque of a motor?

In summary, the speaker has a motor with no information or label, just connectors. They are wondering if there is a way to measure its power and control it without affecting its velocity. They possess inductive sensors and a manometer, but are unsure of how to use them with the motor. The speaker also mentions wanting to change the motor's torque from 2hp to 1/3 hp permanently. They clarify that the motor runs on 24VDC and can fit in their hand. They are also having trouble finding a way to control the motor's speed without affecting its torque. The speaker asks for suggestions on a power source and the nature of the load they want to drive. Another forum member suggests reading a previous thread on speed
danielmg96
Hi, I have a motor with no information, not even a label, just the connectors, I was wondering if there was a way to measure its power and if there was a way to control it without affecting it's velocity, I possesses simple elements, some sensors (inductive) and a manometer, my brain is now dry, thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi danielmg96. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Do the connectors hint at what voltage source you may connect the motor to?

With the motor not connected to any voltage, can you easily turn the rotor using one hand?

Can you photograph the motor, along with a box of matches for scale, and post it here. You have given no hint at whether you have something like a slot car motor, or the motor out of a washing machine.

What do you mean by controlling the motor without affecting its speed? What characteristic would you like to control?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it is a 24VDC, fits in my hand, I'd like to change its torque, forgot to mention it is a 2hp motor and I really need to change it to 1/3 hp permanently

danielmg96 said:
Well, it is a 24VDC, fits in my hand, I'd like to change its torque, forgot to mention it is a 2hp motor and I really need to change it to 1/3 hp permanently
Okay. What source are you going to use for the 24V? What is the nature of the ⅓ hp load you want to drive?

There is a previous thread at the very foot of this page on speed control of a DC motor. Well worth a read.

UMMM - can you post a picture, I am really having a hard time believing a 2HP 24V motor fits in your hand.

Likes billy_joule

Related to How to measure and control the torque of a motor?

1. How do you measure torque in a motor?

Torque can be measured by using a torque sensor or a dynamometer. The sensor is attached to the motor shaft, and it measures the twisting force applied by the motor. The dynamometer, on the other hand, measures the force required to rotate the motor shaft.

2. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

Torque is measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft). It can also be measured in pound-inches (lb-in) or kilogram-centimeters (kg-cm).

3. How can you control the torque of a motor?

The torque of a motor can be controlled by adjusting the current or voltage supplied to the motor. This can be done using a motor controller or by using a variable frequency drive to adjust the speed and torque of the motor.

4. What factors can affect the torque output of a motor?

The torque output of a motor can be affected by several factors, such as the type and size of the motor, the amount of current or voltage supplied, the load on the motor, and the type of control mechanism used.

5. How do you ensure accurate torque measurement and control?

To ensure accurate torque measurement and control, it is important to regularly calibrate the torque sensor or dynamometer. It is also important to use high-quality components and properly maintain the motor and its control systems. Additionally, performing regular performance tests and making adjustments as needed can help maintain accurate torque measurement and control.