How to measure the amount of gravitational lensing?

In summary, gravitational lensing is a way to measure the amount of missing dark matter in the universe. It is easiest to measure strong lensing, which is sensitive to the position of the lens with respect to us. There is no Einstein ring or cross around every galaxy, but weak lensing is more interesting and tells us about the evolution of our universe.
exmarine
I am reading papers about dark matter and MOND. As they often mention this effect, I wonder how they know / measure / quantify how much gravitational lensing a particular galaxy causes?

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's not measured, it's observed. Google "Einstein Rings".

Much the same way as with a glass lens - you trace the rays. It's in some ways easier with gravity because you can get multiple images.

There are two different image distortions involved in gravitational lensing, shear and convergence. Basically shear describes elliptification of the source and convergence its magnification (positive or negative). It is possible to quantify both (although shear is vector-like, so depends on coordinates) - anyway I guess they mean convergence. If you're interested in lensing I recommend reading "Introduction to gravitational lensing" by Massimo Meneghetti http://www.ita.uni-heidelberg.de/~massimo/sub/Lectures/gl_all.pdf it is the best introduction I'v found. (PS I am not Massimo Meneghetti.)

Likes exmarine
I suppose they “measure” it if it is used – along with velocity profiles – to calculate the amount of missing dark matter. And I don’t suppose there is an Einstein ring or cross around every galaxy.

And how would one trace the rays when we can’t know precisely where the objects behind the galaxies are located?

Ah, thanks for the link! Will read it.

Well there are two different types of lensing; strong and weak. Strong depends on the alignment of the lens object (a galaxy for example), it is very sensitive to the position of the lens with respect to us. That's where you might see an Einstein ring or cross and can tell you something about the distribution of dark matter around your lensing galaxy.

exmarine said:
And I don’t suppose there is an Einstein ring or cross around every galaxy.

Exactly, it depends on alignment between source, lens and us. All the photos of lensing you've seen are examples of strong lensing though. Weak lensing is much more interesting. It doesn't produce dramatic images, but tells us a lot about the evolution of our universe, particular the distribution of dark matter at different times.

exmarine said:
And how would one trace the rays when we can’t know precisely where the objects behind the galaxies are located?

Spectrographs can give redshift data, allowing us to calculate distances. At the end of the day there is always an error in our measurements, meaning that everything is a bit of an educated (or informed) guess.

Likes exmarine
phinds said:
It's not measured, it's observed. Google "Einstein Rings".

I dunno. Seems like you can easily do a measurement from your observations.

Drakkith said:
I dunno. Seems like you can easily do a measurement from your observations.
Yeah I was really thinking more of "calculate" than measure, as in "calculate in advance" meaning BEFORE you observe.

On page 7 of the document linked in post #4 (page 13 of the pdf), Meneghetti gives the metric for very small potential in nearly flat / Minkowski space. Ok, if I put a very small potential in the Schwarzschild metric, it should approach Minkowski. And if I then transform it from spherical to Cartesian coordinates I don’t get his results. I get a whole bunch of sines and cosines, and off-diagonal terms as one would expect. Then there is no direction I select (set of angles) that gives his exact diagonal matrix terms. For example, I can get his term for the xx term, but then the yy and zz terms are each 1 instead of his terms. Another direction gives me his term for yy, but then xx and zz diagonal terms are each 1, etc. It seems like there should be spherical symmetry, but I cannot get all 3 terms to equal his at once. Any idea what he is doing there? Thanks.

1. How is gravitational lensing measured?

Gravitational lensing is measured by observing the distortion of light from a distant object caused by a massive object in between, such as a galaxy or a cluster of galaxies. This distortion can be seen as a bending or stretching of the light, and the amount of distortion can be used to calculate the strength of the gravitational lensing effect.

2. What tools are used to measure gravitational lensing?

Astronomers use several tools to measure gravitational lensing, including telescopes, cameras, and software algorithms. Telescopes, such as the Hubble Space Telescope, are used to observe the distorted images of distant objects. Cameras, such as those used in the Dark Energy Survey, are used to capture high-resolution images of these distorted objects. Finally, specialized software algorithms are used to analyze the images and calculate the amount of gravitational lensing.

3. How is the amount of dark matter in a galaxy cluster measured using gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a valuable tool for measuring the amount of dark matter in a galaxy cluster. By observing the distortion of light from background galaxies, astronomers can calculate the amount of mass in the cluster that is causing the distortion. This mass is primarily made up of dark matter, as it does not emit or absorb light like regular matter does.

4. Can gravitational lensing be used to study the properties of dark energy?

Yes, gravitational lensing can be used to study the properties of dark energy, which is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. By observing the distortion of light from distant objects, astronomers can map out the distribution of dark matter in the universe. This can provide clues about the effects of dark energy on the growth of large-scale structures in the universe.

5. How accurate are measurements of gravitational lensing?

The accuracy of measurements of gravitational lensing depends on several factors, such as the quality of the observations, the complexity of the lensing system, and the precision of the software algorithms used to analyze the data. In general, measurements of gravitational lensing are quite accurate, with most studies reporting uncertainties of less than 10%. With advancements in technology and techniques, these measurements are becoming even more precise.