Would discovery of a galaxy without dark matter disprove MOND?

• I
  • Thread starter lamdar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lcdm mond
lamdar
I’ve been reading about LCDM and MOND recently. And there have been reports of galaxies with little dark matter. I know the lack of dark matter in NGC1052-DF2 was shown not true afterwards. But if such a galaxy without dark matter is actually discovered, would this be sufficient to disprove MOND?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't think this can be answered in the abstract. How many examples? How well measured are they? How far do they deviate from the MOND prediction? What signs are there for previous interactions with other galaxies? Are these galaxies typical or is there some other feature that makes them unusual? How many estimates for the DM component are there and do they agree?

And so on and so on.

Likes Astronuc and hutchphd
lamdar said:
I’ve been reading about LCDM and MOND recently. And there have been reports of galaxies with little dark matter. I know the lack of dark matter in NGC1052-DF2 was shown not true afterwards. But if such a galaxy without dark matter is actually discovered, would this be sufficient to disprove MOND?
There was a thread about this not that long ago. On the face of it yes - even a single galaxy that obeys the default Newtonian dynamics would disprove MOND. The proponents of MOND, however, believe that secondary MOND effects from neighbouring galaxies may explain this.

You could do a bit of research on this online. I only recall the gist of the argument.

PeroK said:
There was a thread about this not that long ago.
Is it maybe in the "Similar Threads" list at the bottom of this page?

I can't immediately see the thread, but the term I believe was "external field effect". That explains the Newtonian rotation curve of a galaxy with no dark matter.

Yes. IIUC, MOND says that there's non-Newtonian behaviour when the modulus of the Newtonian acceleration would be below a certain value. Much of the gravitational interaction between stars in a galaxy is below this value, so galaxy rotation curves are non-Newtonian. But if there's a large mass nearby a galaxy it can push the gravitational acceleration above that critical value across the whole galaxy. So MOND proponents say you can get Newtonian behaviour (what a dark matter proponent would call a dark matter free galaxy) in rare circumstances with MOND.

... a modified MOND, perhaps!

• Haha
Likes collinsmark and Ibix
There's also the point V50 makes about the quality of evidence. One measurement being enough to falsify a theory is an idealisation. It has to be one measurement by skilled observers with high confidence that possible measurement errors have been controlled and possible confounding factors eliminated. Otherwise we'd falsify Newtonian gravity every time someone did a parachute jump.

Likes Vanadium 50
Ibix said:
There's also the point V50 makes about the quality of evidence. One measurement being enough to falsify a theory is an idealisation. It has to be one measurement by skilled observers with high confidence that possible measurement errors have been controlled and possible confounding factors eliminated. Otherwise we'd falsify Newtonian gravity every time someone did a parachute jump.
Not if the parachute didn't open!

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50
PeroK said:
Not if the parachute didn't open!
Terminal velocity for a human isn't very high (Wikipedia says 55-90m/s depending on whether you spread out or curl up), so even without a working chute you don't fall according to a naive application of Newtonian gravity. And we're way off topic here!

<splat!>

While data quality is part of what I was commenting on, there's also statistics. If you see a galaxy that has only a 0.1% of satisfying the null hypothesis, whatever that may be, you would draw different conclusions if you saw it after 5, 1000 or 1 000 000 galaxies.

lamdar said:
Dark matter has not been discovered, it is predicted, there is a difference.

1. Would the discovery of a galaxy without dark matter disprove MOND (Modified Newtonian Dynamics)?

Not necessarily. MOND proposes modifications to Newton's laws to explain the galaxy rotation curves without invoking dark matter. If a galaxy without dark matter were found, it would be a challenge for MOND, especially if MOND cannot account for the dynamics of such a galaxy. However, it might not completely disprove MOND as the theory could still potentially be applicable or accurate in other contexts or require further modification.

2. What is MOND and why was it proposed?

MOND, or Modified Newtonian Dynamics, is a theoretical framework proposed by Mordehai Milgrom in the 1980s. It was developed as an alternative to the dark matter hypothesis to explain why the observed rotational speeds of galaxies are faster than what would be expected based on the visible matter alone. MOND modifies Newton's laws of motion at very low accelerations, typical of the scales of galaxies, to account for the discrepancy without needing additional, unseen mass.

3. How does the existence of a galaxy without dark matter challenge the dark matter hypothesis?

The existence of a galaxy without dark matter would be significant because the dark matter hypothesis is primarily used to explain why galaxies do not fly apart despite their high rotational speeds, suggesting a large amount of unseen mass. A galaxy operating without this unseen mass could indicate that our understanding of gravity or galaxy formation might need revising, or it could suggest variations in dark matter distribution that are not currently accounted for in the standard model of cosmology.

4. Are there any known galaxies that lack dark matter, and what does their discovery imply for theories like MOND and dark matter?

Yes, there have been a few galaxies observed that appear to lack dark matter, such as NGC 1052-DF2 and NGC 1052-DF4. These galaxies are unusual because they do not fit the typical profiles expected under either the dark matter hypothesis or MOND. Their discovery has sparked significant debate and further investigation as they could provide crucial insights into the nature of gravity and the validity of theoretical models including both dark matter and modifications to Newtonian dynamics.

5. If a galaxy without dark matter does not disprove MOND, what would be required to challenge or disprove MOND?

To significantly challenge or potentially disprove MOND, a broad and consistent set of observational data that contradicts the predictions made by MOND would be required. This could include data from galaxy rotation curves, gravitational lensing, and cosmic background radiation measurements that consistently align better with Newtonian dynamics with dark matter or another theory, rather than with MOND. Additionally, a theoretical breakthrough that provides a more compelling and universally applicable explanation of gravitational phenomena could also challenge MOND.