How to Model a Bicycle's Trajectory Using Continuous Time?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to convert a discrete time model into a continuous one for a bicycle on a 2D plane. It involves a position (x,y), orientation (theta), steering angle (alpha), and distance traveled (d). The new position and orientation equations are given, and the goal is to generate a trajectory for the bike given varying functions for alpha and d. The next steps involve deriving stability constraints and doing error analysis for numerical integration schemes. It is suggested to start with a simpler model and then generalize it. It is also important to have a background in numerical techniques for integrating systems of differential equations.
hazuki
First off, this is not a homework question. I am simply trying to figure out how to make a discrete time model into a continuous one. I don't expect anyone to work this out for me, I just want to start heading in the right direction.

I have a model of a bicycle on a 2d plane that has a position (x,y) and an orientation (theta). Theta is with respect to the X axis. The bike steers with the front wheel at an angle (alpha) with respect to the orientation (theta). The distance between the rear wheel and the front wheel is L. Now, given an initial state (x,y,theta), I am given a distance the bike will travel (d) at a certain steering angle (alpha). It can be shown that the new position and orientation of the bike is as follows:

x' = cx + sin(theta+Beta)*R
y' = cy - cos(theta+Beta)*R
theta' = (theta+Beta) (%mod 2pi optionally)

where

cx = x - sin(theta)*R
cy = y + cos(theta)*R
R = d/Beta
Beta = d*tan(alpha)/L

Now what I want to do is generate a trajectory of the bicycle given an arbitrary time varying function for both the steering angle (alpha) and the instantaenous velocity d(d)/dt. How would I go about starting a problem like this?

If we ignore all the details that I listed above, I should be able to write the new position and orentation as a vector:

| x' |
| y' | = f(x,y,theta,alpha,d)
|theta|

What steps do I need to take next? When I move to a continuous model, all the variables become time varying: f(x(t),y(t),theta(t),d(t)). My first thought is that I take the derivative of each component with respect to alpha and d. I would then end up integrating from time zero to time T given the initial state vector and given time varying functions for alpha and d.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot integrate arbitrary functions in closed form. For most, numerical solutions are all that's possible. I assume the issue you're worried about is accumulation of errors using a finite time step, but in general I doubt there's much can be done about that.

Hey hazuki and welcome to the forums.

Are you aware of how to derive stability constraints for differential equations?

This kind of analysis is done for numerical integration schemes and I suggest you get a reference source, be it a text or an online source for error analysis.

Also a suggestion would be to start with the simpler model and then generalize the parameter after you have done the analysis for the simpler version.

So in terms of the specifics, start with R being a constant. Then extend R to the definition and keep Beta a constant. Then allow Beta to be defined in the way its defined.

What background do you have with numerical techniques for integrating systems of differential equations?

Related to How to Model a Bicycle's Trajectory Using Continuous Time?

1. How do you determine the appropriate dimensions for a bicycle model?

The dimensions of a bicycle model are determined by considering factors such as the rider's height, weight, and riding style. The most common approach is to use a sizing chart provided by the manufacturer, which takes into account these factors to determine the appropriate frame size.

2. What materials are commonly used in bicycle modeling?

The most common materials used in bicycle modeling are steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. Steel is durable and relatively inexpensive, while aluminum is lightweight and corrosion-resistant. Carbon fiber is a high-performance material that is both lightweight and strong, but it is also more expensive.

3. How do you ensure the accuracy of a bicycle model?

To ensure the accuracy of a bicycle model, various techniques such as computer-aided design (CAD) and finite element analysis (FEA) are used. CAD allows for precise measurements and modeling of the bicycle's components, while FEA allows for simulation of the bike's performance under different conditions.

4. What factors affect the aerodynamics of a bicycle model?

The main factors that affect the aerodynamics of a bicycle model are the shape and design of the frame, the wheels, and the rider's position. Streamlined frames and wheels, as well as a low and aerodynamic riding position, can greatly improve the aerodynamics of a bicycle model.

5. How do you test the performance of a bicycle model?

The performance of a bicycle model can be tested in various ways, including on-road testing, wind tunnel testing, and computer simulation. On-road testing involves riding the bike in real-world conditions, while wind tunnel testing allows for controlled conditions to measure aerodynamics. Computer simulation can also be used to predict the performance of the bike under different conditions without the need for physical testing.