How to narrow down my Industrial Engineering degree?

In summary, the speaker is a student at the end of their Industrial Engineering bachelor's degree and is considering options for their master's degree. They are unsure about the broadness of Industrial Engineering and their lack of interest in economics and business. They mention two options for their master's degree - Industrial Engineering and Management or Mechanical Engineering. They are unsure about the potential career paths for each and express a desire for a combination of social interaction and engineering in their career. They acknowledge their uncertainty and emphasize the importance of understanding the specifics of each field before making a decision.
Butters
I'm at the end of my IE (Industrial Engineering) bachelor years and during my exchange stay I realized how many IE students there are. I wasn't really sure what IE do but it seems that it is too broad and lacks specialization. However, I chose engineering because I'm not bad at physics/math and don't like other subjects. Thus, I liked all engineering subjects I had but not really others.
To improve my qualifications I have two options for master studies: Industrial Engineering and Management or Mechanical Engineering (ME).
I'm really lost because I'm not into economics/business at all which is part of IE and I don't want to be a computer rat struggling with complex mechanical design just because software is too ambiguous being ME.
Then again, social life isn't my highlight but I like the thrill I get from audiences and I'm fantastic in presentations. Could I find these things in industry after ME?

I know it may seem like I don't know what I want and that is completely true. Although, being a blockbuster movie star would be awesome but what are the odds of that happening even If I'm good at acting.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the end, it is all about finding your passion and deciding what you want to do with your life. If you want to be in a field that combines social interaction and engineering, then you may want to look into engineering management or industrial engineering. Engineering management combines the technical aspects of engineering with the business aspects of management and provides a more holistic view of how an organization operates. Industrial engineering provides a more technical view of how to improve efficiency and processes within an organization. Both are great options for someone who wants to have a career that combines social interaction with engineering.No matter which route you choose, make sure that you have a good understanding of what the field entails and how it will fit into your future career plans. By understanding the specifics of each field and how they interact with each other, you will be better prepared to make an informed decision. Good luck!

Related to How to narrow down my Industrial Engineering degree?

1. How do I determine which specialization within Industrial Engineering is right for me?

Determining the right specialization within Industrial Engineering depends on your interests and career goals. Research the various specializations and their job roles to see which aligns best with your strengths and interests. You can also speak to current or former students, professors, and professionals in the field to gain insight and make an informed decision.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a school for my Industrial Engineering degree?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a school for your Industrial Engineering degree include the program's curriculum, accreditation, reputation, faculty, research opportunities, and industry partnerships. It's also important to consider the location, cost, and available resources for students.

3. How can I narrow down my Industrial Engineering degree to fit my career goals?

To narrow down your Industrial Engineering degree, you should first identify your career goals. Then, research the job requirements and skills needed for those roles and determine which courses or specializations within Industrial Engineering will help you acquire those skills. You can also gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs to further align your degree with your career goals.

4. Is it beneficial to pursue a double major or minor in addition to my Industrial Engineering degree?

This depends on your career goals and interests. Pursuing a double major or minor in a related field can provide you with a more well-rounded education and make you more marketable to employers. However, it may also require more time and effort, so carefully consider if it aligns with your goals and if you can manage the workload.

5. What are the job prospects for Industrial Engineering graduates?

Industrial Engineering is a broad field with many career opportunities. Graduates can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, healthcare, transportation, and technology. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for Industrial Engineers is projected to grow 8% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.