How to Normalize the Wave Function?

In summary, the student is trying to find a wavefunction that satisfies the homework equation but is unable to do so. They make the assumption that the integrand is odd, which is not the case. They fix the wavefunction to be |\phi\rangle=\frac{|\psi\rangle}{\sqrt{\langle \psi|\psi\rangle}} and find that the normalisation constant is not important.
jimmycricket

Homework Statement

Normalize the wave function ,[itex]\psi(x)[/itex], where [tex]\psi(x)=\frac{1}{1+ix}[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\langle\psi\mid\psi\rangle= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1-ix}{1+x^2}\frac{1+ix}{1+x^2}dx=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{1+x^2}=\left. arctan(x)\right|_{-\infty}^{\infty}=0[/tex] since arctan(x) is an odd function.
Now I know a normalized wavefunction satisfies [tex]\langle\psi\mid\psi\rangle=1[/tex].
I don't know how to manipulate the given wavefunction in order to satisfy the condition.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is, only when the integrand is odd, you can say the symmetric integral is zero. But in your case, the integrand is even!
Here's how it should be:
[itex]
\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{1+x^2}dx=2 \int_{0}^\infty \frac{1}{1+x^2}dx=2 \tan^{-1}(x) |_0^\infty=(2k+1)\pi
[/itex]
I should say I don't know what k to choose or even its important what k to choose or not!

The integrand is continuous and so must the primitive function be. Use this to fix k.

Well, this is what I think about k.
When people want to define [itex] \tan^{-1}(x) [/itex], they restrict the domain of [itex] \tan(x) [/itex] to [itex] (-\frac \pi 2,\frac \pi 2) [/itex] to make it one-to-one. So the range of [itex] \tan^{-1}(x) [/itex] is [itex] (-\frac \pi 2,\frac \pi 2) [/itex] and so [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \tan^{-1}(x)=\frac \pi 2 [/itex].
Also it seems to me that the normalization constant doesn't have that much physical significant!

In this particular problem, it is fine to pick any branch of arctan as any branch is a primitive function to the integrand (I could add an arbitrary constant on top to boot!). The only important thing is that you evaluate both limits of the integral in the same branch.

The normalisation constant will be important when you start evaluating expectation values, unless you want to write
$$
\langle x\rangle = \frac{\langle \psi| x |\psi\rangle}{\langle \psi |\psi\rangle}
$$
everywhere ... Better to just have computed ##\langle \psi |\psi\rangle## once and for all.

Orodruin said:
In this particular problem, it is fine to pick any branch of arctan as any branch is a primitive function to the integrand (I could add an arbitrary constant on top to boot!). The only important thing is that you evaluate both limits of the integral in the same branch.
Yeah, that's the right way of looking at it. I missed this in my first post. Considering this, [itex] \tan^{-1}(x)|_0^\infty [/itex] is equal to [itex] \frac \pi 2 [/itex] anyway!

Orodruin said:
The normalisation constant will be important when you start evaluating expectation values, unless you want to write
⟨x⟩=⟨ψ|x|ψ⟩⟨ψ|ψ⟩

everywhere ... Better to just have computed ⟨ψ|ψ⟩ once and for all.
But if we choose [itex] |\phi\rangle=\frac{|\psi\rangle}{\sqrt{\langle \psi|\psi\rangle}}[/itex] to be our wave function, then the normalization constant is not important.

Last edited:
Well, then you have just normalised it using the normalisation constant ##1/\sqrt{\langle \psi|\psi\rangle}## ... This is the entire point of computing the normalisation constant.

Orodruin said:
Well, then you have just normalised it using the normalisation constant ##1/\sqrt{\langle \psi|\psi\rangle}## ... This is the entire point of computing the normalisation constant.
Yeah, I know what you mean. But I was saying that if it happens that the normalization integral can give multiple values, as I wrongly thought is the case here, then its not important which one to choose.

1. What does it mean to "normalize" a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function means ensuring that the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1. This is done by dividing the wave function by a constant factor known as the normalization constant.

2. Why is it important to normalize a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function is important because it ensures that the wave function represents a physical state with a definite probability of finding a particle in any location. It also allows for meaningful calculations and predictions in quantum mechanics.

3. How is the normalization constant determined?

The normalization constant is determined by taking the square root of the integral of the absolute square of the wave function over all space. This ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1.

4. Can a wave function be normalized to a value other than 1?

No, a wave function must be normalized to a value of 1 in order to represent a physical state. A non-normalized wave function would violate the principle of conservation of probability in quantum mechanics.

5. What happens if a wave function is not normalized?

If a wave function is not normalized, it means that the probability of finding a particle in any location is greater than 1 or less than 1. This would result in incorrect predictions and violate the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.