How to Obtain a Magnification of -2 from a Convex Lens?

In summary, to obtain a magnification of -2 from a convex lens, you must either place a virtual object at a distance 2f/3 from the lens, place a virtual object at a distance 5f/3 from the lens, or place a real object at a distance 3f/2 from the lens.
Sylvia

Homework Statement

You wish to obtain a magnification of -2 from a convex lens of focal length f. The only possible solution is to:

A) place a virtual object at a distance 2f/3 from the lens.
B) place a virtual object at a distance 5f/3 from the lens.
C) place a real object at a distance 3f/2 from the lens.
D) place a real object at a distance 2f/3 from the lens.
E) place a virtual object at a distance 3f/2 from the lens.

Homework Equations

(1/do) + (1/di) = (1/f)
m = -di/do
f is negative because it is a convex lens

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to factor in focal length, I am unsure how to get the relationship between object distance and focal length

Physics news on Phys.org
Sylvia, you can attempt this quetion by eliminating approach.
Here's what you should consider,
First try by using real objects.
Note that for magnification of -2 you should have an inverted image.
We kniw for object between f and o , the image is virtual and erect hence,
Option D is ruled out.
Now considering option C
The objet will be between f and 2f
Hence image will be real and enlarged.
And also by putting magnification ( -v/u = -2) you can get your answer.
Hence option C seems correct to me.

If you want further solution letme know.

Sylvia said:

Homework Equations

(1/do) + (1/di) = (1/f)
m = -di/do
f is negative because it is a convex lens

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to factor in focal length, I am unsure how to get the relationship between object distance and focal length

The focal length of convex lenses is positive.
You know how magnification defined. So you can express do in terms of di and substitute into the equation (1/do) + (1/di) = (1/f). Solve for do in terms of f.

Thank you both very much, I understand it now!

Likes Estifericate

1. What is a convex lens?

A convex lens is a transparent optical device that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It is curved outwards on both sides and can refract light rays to converge at a single point known as the focal point.

2. How does a convex lens work?

A convex lens works by bending light rays as they pass through it. This bending, also known as refraction, occurs because the convex shape of the lens causes the light rays to change direction. The amount of refraction depends on the curvature and thickness of the lens.

3. What is the magnification of a convex lens?

The magnification of a convex lens is the ratio of the size of an image produced by the lens to the size of the object. It can be calculated by dividing the image distance by the object distance, or by using the formula M = -v/u, where M is the magnification, v is the image distance, and u is the object distance.

4. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, whereas a virtual image is formed when the light rays only appear to converge at a point, but do not actually intersect. A convex lens can produce both types of images, depending on the position of the object and the lens.

5. How can I calculate the focal length of a convex lens?

The focal length of a convex lens can be calculated using the lens maker's formula, which is 1/f = (n-1)(1/R1 - 1/R2), where f is the focal length, n is the refractive index of the lens material, and R1 and R2 are the radii of curvature of the two surfaces of the lens. Alternatively, the focal length can also be measured by experimenting with the lens and using the thin lens equation, 1/f = 1/v + 1/u, where v is the image distance and u is the object distance.