How to Prepare for Differential Equations?

In summary, Austin suggests that if you know y' = x, what is y?, you should study complex numbers and complex exponentials, and find real and imaginary parts of complex rationals, when learning ODEs.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
Hello,

I am going into my first semester at university in the fall and I have already completed Calc I and II and linear algebra and I am finishing up Calc III over the summer.

So I was talking to the chair of the EE department at my university and he recommended I take ODEs my first semester.

The problem is, I've never solved a differential equation in my life, and I don't know much about them. And combined with that fact that it will be my first 300 level class, that makes me nervous.

My question is, how should I prepare for this class? I have been looking up videos on separable ODEs and first order linear ODEs, but I was wondering what else I should study to prepare myself to take this class. I know that you need to be strong in integration and differentiation, but other than that I'm not sure how to prepare.

Thanks for the help!,

Austin

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know y' = x, what is y? That's a pretty simple ODE. It's also separable, which can easily be seen by writing y' in differential form.

If you've done integration by parts, you've already solved some simple differential equations (you know v' and you have to find v by integration).

As long as you are current on integration techniques and know your derivatives, you'll be OK. For linear first order ODEs, you should review the exponential function (e^x) and how to differentiate and integrate it. Review solving polynomial equations of degree two and higher (i.e., know the quadratic formula and how to factor a polynomial). Later on, you'll be exposed to series solutions of certain ODEs, but I wouldn't worry too much about them just yet.

SteamKing said:
If you know y' = x, what is y? That's a pretty simple ODE. It's also separable, which can easily be seen by writing y' in differential form.

If you've done integration by parts, you've already solved some simple differential equations (you know v' and you have to find v by integration).

I never thought of it like that! I guess those are differential equations now that I think about it. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would look at complex numbers and complex exponentials, and finding real and imaginary parts of complex rationals, for example (a + ib)^2 / (c + id), what is the real part? And when you learn ODE's, focus on the general solutions or broadest ideas, what works in general. Anyway, that's all I can think of.

verty said:
I would look at complex numbers and complex exponentials, and finding real and imaginary parts of complex rationals, for example (a + ib)^2 / (c + id), what is the real part? And when you learn ODE's, focus on the general solutions or broadest ideas, what works in general. Anyway, that's all I can think of.

I never would have thought to look at that, but I'll keep that in mind, too. Thanks!

Related to How to Prepare for Differential Equations?

1. What is the best way to study for Differential Equations?

The best way to study for Differential Equations is to review the material regularly and practice solving a variety of problems. It is also helpful to seek clarification from your professor or a tutor if you are struggling with certain concepts.

2. How much time should I allot for studying Differential Equations?

The amount of time you should spend studying for Differential Equations depends on your individual learning style and the difficulty of the course. Generally, you should plan to spend at least 2-3 hours outside of class for every hour spent in class.

3. What resources can I use to prepare for Differential Equations?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for Differential Equations, including textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Your professor may also have recommended resources that align with the course material.

4. Is it important to have a strong foundation in Calculus before taking Differential Equations?

Yes, it is important to have a strong foundation in Calculus before taking Differential Equations. Many concepts in Differential Equations build upon principles from Calculus, so having a solid understanding of Calculus will make it easier to grasp the material.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying for Differential Equations?

Staying motivated while studying for Differential Equations can be a challenge, but it is important to remember the end goal and the potential impact this knowledge can have on your future. It can also be helpful to set smaller goals and reward yourself for meeting them, take breaks and engage in activities you enjoy, and seek support from peers and mentors.