How to prevent being blocked when I use VPN?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
yungman
I use Norton protection. They offer VPN. I try to use it. But I was blocked by a site after I use the VPN. I had to turn VPN off to get to the site.

Why? and what can I do to resolve this and still use VPN?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
the vpn changes your tcpip address to one of a large list of addresses that they own. if the site has blocked that new address then you get blocked.

yungman said:
Why? and what can I do to resolve this and still use VPN?
Because many spammers, hackers and other people with malicious intent use VPNs.

Or to look at it another way: "I wore a balaclava when I walked into a bank. They refused to serve me. I had to take the balaclava off before they served me. Why? And what can I do to get served while wearing a balaclava?"

So this is common?:frown:

pbuk said:
I wore a balaclava when I walked into a bank.
The pastry?

• Haha
Likes FactChecker
You mean a biali?

yungman said:
So this is common?:frown:
Yes, it is not uncommon.

Some organizations are vigilant about this and will attempt to make contact and report the IP addresses associated with malicious activity back to the owners of the address space (e.g. via email to abuse@ownerorg.com). As the registered POC for a class B netblock, I would receive those emails from time to time. My hat is off to the folks generating those notices. Generally speaking, they provided source IPs, time stamps, log files and a general characterization of the attacks.

Other organizations will simply chuck the IP address (or the owner ASN) on some flavor of IP blacklist and consider the job done. My organization fell into that camp. We had a good number of blacklisted ASNs along with a few blacklisted IP ranges. From time to time, I would need to update whitelists to make exceptions within blacklisted ranges. [Customers get upset when they cannot visit our web sites or send us email].

[An ASN (Autonomous System Number) is a number associated with an organization that connects to the BGP routing backbone for the public Internet. As an ordinary customer of an ISP, you would not have an assigned ASN. Your ISP would probably have an ASN. Your VPN provider would have a different ASN.]

I was on the routing and switching side of things. Our primary goal was to blacklist IP ranges from which huge attack volumes were emanating. The security guys had trouble keeping their firewalls up under the resulting load. So we took care of the bulk of the attack volume for them. We used blackhole routes and an RPF check -- that sort of thing is easy for a router but hard for a firewall.

As I said, I wore a routing hat. Our security guys certainly had the ability to subscribe to an IP block service. But since I was not directly involved, I have no good idea about how widely deployed such services are. For instance, the Imperva WAF (Web Access Filter) documents their capability. We ran a WAF, among other components, but I do not think we subscribed to an IP block list.

Getting yourself off of an IP blacklist can be a time consuming and thankless task. The hardest part is finding someone who cares enough to try to help. Then you have to pray that they can navigate their way to someone who has the ability to help. The level of individual and organizational competence that you encounter can sometimes be mind boggling. Often our security guys would need to skip all that and handle it from our end, switching to a different egress IP (we ran Cisco WCCP and transparent proxies for outbound traffic) or getting us router guys to use traffic engineering to a different egress point of presence entirely.

Some target web sites (mostly military) are opt-in. You have to register your IP in order to gain access. This can be troublesome when your egress IP can dynamicly change due to the use of VPN, outbound transparent proxy or an ISP that does not provide their customers with long term stable IP addresses. [My company's egress IPs were short term stable (days or weeks) but not long term stable (months or years)]

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
The pastry?
balaclava, not baklava. :-)
And definitely not a bearaclava:
1691786075062.png

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and Mark44
jbriggs444 said:
Getting yourself off of an IP blacklist can be a time consuming and thankless task.
And unlikely to work in this case, as the VPN address is usually dynamic, so thousands will need to be unblocked, and some of those are likely used by bad actors.

Likes jbriggs444
And FWIW, when I see a bad actor, I drop the entire ASIN now, not just the IP block. And things are much quieter.

Likes jbriggs444

1. How does a VPN work?

A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, works by creating a secure and encrypted connection between your device and the internet. It does this by routing your internet traffic through a remote server, hiding your IP address and encrypting your data to protect it from hackers or government surveillance.

2. Will using a VPN prevent me from being blocked?

Using a VPN can help prevent you from being blocked by websites or services that restrict access based on your location or IP address. However, some websites and streaming services are becoming more sophisticated in detecting and blocking VPN usage, so it may not always be a foolproof solution.

3. Can I use any VPN to prevent being blocked?

Not all VPNs are created equal. Some VPNs may not have the necessary features to bypass blocks or maintain a stable connection. It's important to choose a reputable VPN provider with a large network of servers and strong encryption protocols.

4. How can I avoid being blocked when using a VPN?

To avoid being blocked when using a VPN, you can try connecting to different servers in different locations. You can also try using different VPN protocols, such as OpenVPN or IKEv2, which may be less likely to be detected and blocked. Additionally, make sure your VPN software is up to date and has the latest security features.

5. Are there any other ways to prevent being blocked when using a VPN?

In addition to using a VPN, you can also try clearing your browser's cookies and cache, using a private or incognito browsing mode, or using a proxy server. However, these methods may not always be effective and may also come with their own limitations and risks.