How to properly clean an acid cabinet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of cleaning an acid cabinet, specifically a blue Flinn scientific cabinet. The individual is seeking suggestions on how to properly clean the interior, which has discoloration on the walls and shelves. The recommended method is to use a 10% solution of TSP, trisodium phosphate, and to do this twice a year for maintenance. An ammonia-based cleaner is not recommended.
mishima
Hi, we just moved our acid cabinet to a different floor, emptying it out during transport. I was thinking of taking the opportunity to give it a good cleaning.

Any suggestions? It is a blue Flinn scientific cabinet. There is some discoloration on the inside walls and shelves. I am assuming an ammonia based cleaner is a bad idea...

I'd really like to get it spotless and maybe do this once a year, but I don't know how to go about it properly.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Might help-
Flinn website FAQ said:
How can I clean the interior of my acid cabinet?
Use a weak (10%) solution of TSP, trisodium phosphate, to wash the cabinet. We recommend doing this twice per year.
http://www.flinnsci.com/teacher-resources/safety/frequently-asked-safety-questions/maintenance-tips-for-acid-storage-cabinets/how-can-i-clean-the-interior-of-my-acid-cabinet/

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an acid cabinet and why is it important to clean it?

An acid cabinet is a specialized storage unit designed to safely store and organize chemicals that are reactive with air, moisture, or other substances. It is important to clean an acid cabinet regularly to prevent contamination and ensure the safety of laboratory personnel.

What are the potential hazards of not regularly cleaning an acid cabinet?

Not regularly cleaning an acid cabinet can lead to chemical spills, cross-contamination, and potential reactions between incompatible chemicals. This can result in fire, explosion, or release of harmful fumes, posing a risk to the health and safety of laboratory personnel.

How often should an acid cabinet be cleaned?

The frequency of cleaning an acid cabinet depends on the frequency of use and the types of chemicals stored. However, it is recommended to clean the cabinet at least once a week and after any spills or leaks.

What are some tips for cleaning an acid cabinet?

When cleaning an acid cabinet, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety goggles. All chemicals should be properly labeled and organized, and any spills or leaks should be cleaned up immediately. The surfaces of the cabinet should be wiped down with a neutralizing agent, such as baking soda, and then rinsed with water. The cabinet should be left to air dry before restocking.

Are there any specific chemicals or products that should be used for cleaning an acid cabinet?

It is important to use neutralizing agents, such as baking soda or a commercial acid spill kit, to clean any spills or leaks in an acid cabinet. For general cleaning, mild soap and water can be used. Avoid using strong acids or bases as they can react with any remaining chemicals in the cabinet.