How to prove a set belongs to Borel sigma-algebra?

In summary: My measure theory is pretty rusty. But I think you can also use the Monotone Class theorem instead of Dynkin's theorem. That's in the 2nd chapter. Hint: let ##\mathcal M## be the set of all sets such that ##m(A)=n(A)##. You'll want to prove that's a monotone class. Use countable additivity of the measures.
A.Magnus
I am working on this problem on measure theory like this:

Suppose ##X## is the set of real numbers, ##\mathcal B## is the Borel ##\sigma##-algebra, and ##m## and ##n## are two measures on ##(X, \mathcal B)## such that ##m((a, b))=n((a, b))< \infty## whenever ##−\infty<a<b<\infty##. Prove that ##m(A)=n(A)## whenever ##A\in \mathcal B##.​

Here is what I am envisioning but I am not so sure: Since ##a, b \in \mathbb R## and since ##A## is an arbitrary subset of ##\mathcal B##, so if only I can prove that ##(a, b) \in \mathcal B##, then I am done. But here is my question:

How do I go ahead proving that ##(a, b) \in \mathcal B##? Can I just using the classic formula that if ##\forall a \in (a, b) \rightarrow a \in \mathcal B##, then ##(a, b) \in \mathcal B##? Any other step I need to follow?​

Thanks for your time and effort.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Borel [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebra on a topological space is by definition the algebra generated by the open subsets of that space. Since [itex](a,b) \subset \mathbb{R}[/itex] is open it's in the Borel [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebra of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

A.Magnus said:
Since ##a, b \in \mathbb R## and since ##A## is an arbitrary subset of ##\mathcal B##, so if only I can prove that ##(a, b) \in \mathcal B##, then I am done.
Why would you be done after that step?

pasmith said:
The Borel [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebra on a topological space is by definition the algebra generated by the open subsets of that space. Since [itex](a,b) \subset \mathbb{R}[/itex] is open it's in the Borel [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebra of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].
Yes, I also thought along that line of reasoning similar to yours, but it looks like too easy to be true, therefore I am not so sure about it. Thanks again.

Stephen Tashi said:
Why would you be done after that step?
My reasoning is that since ##(a, b) \in \mathcal B## and since ##A## is an arbitrary set of ##\mathcal B##, therefore ##m((A)) = n((A))##. Let me know if it is flawed. Thanks again.

A.Magnus said:
My reasoning is that since ##(a, b) \in \mathcal B## and since ##A## is an arbitrary set of ##\mathcal B##, therefore ##m((A)) = n((A))##. Let me know if it is flawed. Thanks again.

I don't follow that at all. You are only given that the two measures are equal for sets that are open intervals. Not all of the sets that are elements of ##\mathcal B## are open intervals.

Dick said:
I don't follow that at all. You are only given that the two measures are equal for sets that are open intervals. Not all of the sets that are elements of ##\mathcal B## are open intervals.
My reasoning was shaky at best to begin with, for that reason I posted this question here. I did receive some input on solution to this problem, but all of them requiring big-tool theorems such as Dykin's ##\pi - \lambda## theorem, measurable functions, etc., all of them are out of the range for the time being. In fact this question comes only from the 3rd. chapter of Richard F. Bass' online book http://homepages.uconn.edu/~rib02005/rags010213.pdf on entry-level analysis, therefore those big-tools are not yet in the background.

I am totally lost but I am still hopeful I can get a solution. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
A.Magnus said:
My reasoning was shaky at best to begin with, for that reason I posted this question here. I did receive some input on solution to this problem, but all of them requiring big-tool theorems such as Dykin's ##\pi - \lambda## theorem, measurable functions, etc., all of them are out of the range for the time being. In fact this question comes only from the 3rd. chapter of Richard F. Bass' online book http://homepages.uconn.edu/~rib02005/rags010213.pdf on entry-level analysis, therefore those big-tools are not yet in the background.

I am totally lost but I am still hopeful I can get a solution. Thanks again.

My measure theory is pretty rusty. But I think you can also use the Monotone Class theorem instead of Dynkin's theorem. That's in the 2nd chapter. Hint: let ##\mathcal M## be the set of all sets such that ##m(A)=n(A)##. You'll want to prove that's a monotone class. Use countable additivity of the measures.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you define the Borel sigma-algebra?

The Borel sigma-algebra is the smallest sigma-algebra that contains all open sets in a given topological space. It is denoted by B and is an important concept in measure theory and functional analysis.

2. What are some common methods for proving a set belongs to the Borel sigma-algebra?

There are several common methods for proving a set belongs to the Borel sigma-algebra, including showing that it is a countable union or intersection of open sets, or using the fact that the Borel sigma-algebra is closed under complements and countable unions and intersections.

3. Can a non-measurable set belong to the Borel sigma-algebra?

No, by definition, all sets in the Borel sigma-algebra are measurable. This means that they have a well-defined measure or size, which can be calculated using the tools of measure theory.

4. How does the Borel sigma-algebra relate to other sigma-algebras?

The Borel sigma-algebra is a subset of the Lebesgue sigma-algebra, which in turn is a subset of the power set of a given topological space. This means that all sets in the Borel sigma-algebra are also in the Lebesgue sigma-algebra, but the converse is not necessarily true.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Borel sigma-algebra?

Yes, the Borel sigma-algebra is used in many areas of mathematics, including probability theory, functional analysis, and topology. It provides a way to formalize and study the concept of measurability, which is essential in many mathematical and scientific fields.