Which sigma algebra is this function a measure of?

In summary, we discussed a measure ##\nu## on a ##\sigma##-algebra ##\mathcal{A}##, where for all ##A \in \mathcal{A}## either ##A## or ##A^c## is finite, but not both. We showed that ##\nu## is a measure on ##\mathcal{A}## and that ##\mathcal{A}## must be finite for this to hold. We also considered the case of larger ##\sigma##-algebras and showed that for infinite sets, ##\nu## cannot be well-defined.
fishturtle1
Homework Statement
Let ##X = \mathbb{R}##. For which ##\sigma##-algebras is the following set function a measure:

##\nu(A) =
\begin{cases}
0 & \vert A \vert < \infty \\
1 & \vert A^c \vert < \infty \\
\end{cases}

##
Relevant Equations
##nu## is a measure on ##\sigma##-algebra ##\mathcal{A}## if

1) ##\nu(\emptyset) = 0## and
2) For any sequence of pairwise disjoint sets ##(A_n)_{n\in\mathbb{N}} \subset \mathcal{A}## we have ##\nu\left(\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}} A_n \right) = \sum_{n\in\mathbb{N}} \nu(A_n)##.
Suppose ##\nu## is a measure on some ##\sigma##-algebra ##\mathcal{A}##. Then we must have for all ##A \in \mathcal{A}## either ##A## or ##A^c## is finite, but not both. Because otherwise ##\nu(A)## is undefined or not well defined.

I've verified that ##\lbrace \emptyset, X \rbrace## and ##\lbrace \emptyset, X, A , A^c \rbrace## are suitable ##\sigma##-algebras but I'm not sure how to rule out anything bigger? Can I please have a hint how to proceed?

For larger ##\sigma##-algebras ##\mathcal{B}##, I consider when ##B, C \in \mathcal{B}## such that ##B, C## infinite , ##B^c, C^c## finite, and ##B, C## disjoint. Then

##\nu(B \cup C) = 1 \neq 1 + 1 = \nu(B) + \nu(C)##. But I can't think of a specific example of this happening?

Physics news on Phys.org
fishturtle1 said:
For larger ##\sigma##-algebras ##\mathcal{B}##, I consider when ##B, C \in \mathcal{B}## such that ##B, C## infinite , ##B^c, C^c## finite, and ##B, C## disjoint. Then

##\nu(B \cup C) = 1 \neq 1 + 1 = \nu(B) + \nu(C)##. But I can't think of a specific example of this happening?

Can't happen. If ##B^c## and ##C^c## is finite and ##B,C## disjoint, then ##B^c \cup C^c = (B\cap C)^c=\emptyset^c=\mathbb{R}## is finite, which is absurd.

• Informative
Likes fishturtle1
Edit to OP: ##\nu## is a measure on ##\lbrace \emptyset, A , A^c, \mathbb{R} \rbrace## where ##A## or ##A^c## is finite but not both.

I'm sorry I have to come back in an hour or two.

Proof: Consider any finite ##\sigma##-algebra ##\mathcal{A}## such that for all ##A \in \mathcal{A}##, either ##A## or ##A^c## is finite, but not both. By definition of ##\nu##, ##\nu(\emptyset) = 0##. Suppose ##A, B \in \mathcal{A}## are infinite sets. Then ##\vert (A\cap B)^c \vert = \vert A^c \cup B^c \vert \le \vert A^c \vert + \vert B^c \vert < \infty##. Since ##A \cap B \in \mathcal{A}## we have ## A \cap B## is an infinite set. In particular, ##A \cap B \neq \emptyset## for all infinite sets ##A, B \in \mathcal{A}##.

Let ##(A_ n)_{n\in\mathbb{N}}\subset \mathcal{A}## be a sequence of pairwise disjoint sets. We have two cases:

1) For all ##n##, ##A_n## is finite. Then, there's only a finite number of ##A_n's## such that ##A_n \neq \emptyset##. So, ##\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}} A_n## is finite and
$$\nu\left(\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}} A_n\right) = 0 = 0 + 0 + \dots = \sum_{n\in\mathbb{N}} \nu(A_n)$$

2) There is some ##m## such that ##A_m## is infinite. Well, by previous statements, this can be the only set that in our sequence that is infinite. So,

$$\nu\left(\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}} A_n\right) = 1 = 1 + 0 + 0 + \dots = \nu(A_m) + \sum_{n\neq m}\nu(A_n) = \sum_{n\in\mathbb{N}} \nu(A_n)$$

We can conclude ##\nu## is a measure on ##\mathcal{A}##. []

Still thinking about if ##\mathcal{A}## can have infinite elements..

Proof: We show that ##\mathcal{A}## was necessarily finite in the previous proof. Suppose ##\mathcal{A}## is an infinite set such that for all ##A \in \mathcal{A}## we have ##A## or ##A^c## is finite but not both. Moreover, assume by contradiction that ##\nu## is a measure on ##\mathcal{A}##. Let ##(A_n)_{n\in\mathbb{N}} \subset \mathcal{A}## be a sequence of distinct finite sets such that ##A_n \neq \emptyset## (which we can surely choose). Define a sequence ##(B_n)_{n\in\mathbb{N}} \subset \mathcal{A}## by ##B_n := A_n \setminus (A_{n-1} \cup \dots A_1)##. Then ##(B_n)_{n\in\mathbb{N}}## is a sequence of pairwise disjoint finite sets. Then

$$\nu\left(\bigcup_{n\in\mathbb{N}} B_n \right) = 1 \neq 0 + 0 + \dots = \sum_{n\in\mathbb{N}}\nu(B_n)$$

which contradicts our assumption that ##\nu## is a measure on ##\mathcal{A}##. []

Last edited:

1. What is a sigma algebra?

A sigma algebra is a collection of subsets of a given set that satisfies certain properties, such as being closed under countable unions and complements. It is used in measure theory to define sets on which a measure can be defined.

2. What is a measure?

A measure is a mathematical concept that assigns a numerical value to subsets of a set. In the context of sigma algebras, a measure is used to determine the size or volume of a set.

3. How do you determine which sigma algebra a function is a measure of?

To determine which sigma algebra a function is a measure of, you need to check if the function satisfies the properties of a measure on that sigma algebra. These properties include being non-negative, countably additive, and defined on all subsets of the sigma algebra.

4. What is the importance of sigma algebras in measure theory?

Sigma algebras are important in measure theory because they provide a framework for defining measures on sets. They allow us to measure the size or volume of sets in a consistent and rigorous manner.

5. Can a function be a measure on more than one sigma algebra?

Yes, a function can be a measure on more than one sigma algebra. For example, if a function satisfies the properties of a measure on two different sigma algebras, then it can be considered a measure on both of those sigma algebras.