How to Prove Properties of Legendre Polynomials?

In summary, the statement you are going to prove can be seen readily if you look at the Ridrigues' formula of Lengreda Polynomial, isn't it?:wink:I am interested to know how the first formula can be derived from Rodrigues's formula.Is the Replacing x by -x should affect (d^l/dx^l)?If so,how?
neelakash

Homework Statement

I am to prove that P_n(-x)=(-1)^n*P_n(x)

And, P'_n(-x)=(-1)^(n+1)*P'_n(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that whether a Legendre Polynomial is an even or odd function depends on its degree.It follows directly from the solution of Legendre differential equation.But,to prove these properties I am getting stuck.

Can anyone help me to start with these?

Physics news on Phys.org
I referred to those webpages earlier.They contain results but no derivation.

How can I use (-x)^a=(-1)^a*(x)^a within a series?

neelakash said:
I referred to those webpages earlier.They contain results but no derivation.

How can I use (-x)^a=(-1)^a*(x)^a within a series?

As Astronuc suggested, substitute as (-x)a for each term in the series. What can you say about (-1)n-2m when m varies?

OK,I already got it.
One should exploit the property: P_n(x) even and odd according as n is even and odd.

neelakash said:

Homework Statement

I am to prove that P_n(-x)=(-1)^n*P_n(x)

And, P'_n(-x)=(-1)^(n+1)*P'_n(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that whether a Legendre Polynomial is an even or odd function depends on its degree.It follows directly from the solution of Legendre differential equation.But,to prove these properties I am getting stuck.

Can anyone help me to start with these?

neelakash said:
OK,I already got it.
One should exploit the property: P_n(x) even and odd according as n is even and odd.

The statement you are going to prove can be seen readily if you look at the Ridrigues' formula of Lengreda Polynomial, isn't it? :wink:

I am interested to know how the first formula can be derived from Rodrigues's formula.Is the Replacing x by -x should affect (d^l/dx^l)?If so,how?

Actually it appears...but not quite sure,how?

neelakash said:
I am interested to know how the first formula can be derived from Rodrigues's formula.Is the Replacing x by -x should affect (d^l/dx^l)?If so,how?

Actually it appears...but not quite sure,how?

just change x-> -x
then the Rodrigues's formula has d/d(-x)
which can be rewritten as dx/d(-x)*d/d(x) , like changing variables as usual
then d/d(-x) = -d/dx and d^n/d(-x)^n = (-1)^n d^n/dx^n

for the question how the Rodrigues's formula came from...
i have no idea at all...:confused:

I anticipated something like this.Thanks for clarification.

Related to How to Prove Properties of Legendre Polynomials?

What is the Legendre polynomial property?

The Legendre polynomial property is a mathematical property of Legendre polynomials, which are a type of orthogonal polynomial. These polynomials have the property of being orthogonal, meaning that their inner product is equal to zero when multiplied by another Legendre polynomial of a different degree.

How are Legendre polynomials related to Legendre functions?

Legendre polynomials are closely related to Legendre functions, as they are a special case of Legendre functions. Legendre functions are used to solve certain differential equations, while Legendre polynomials are used to approximate functions that can be represented as a series of polynomials.

What is the significance of the roots of Legendre polynomials?

The roots of Legendre polynomials have important physical and mathematical significance. They are used in numerical methods for solving differential equations and in the study of wave phenomena. The roots also have applications in probability and statistics, as they are related to the Gaussian distribution.

How are the coefficients of Legendre polynomials calculated?

The coefficients of Legendre polynomials can be calculated using the Gram-Schmidt process, which is a method for constructing orthogonal polynomials. Alternatively, they can be calculated using recursive relationships between the polynomials of different degrees.

What are some real-world applications of Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials have applications in many fields, including physics, engineering, and statistics. They are used in the study of heat transfer, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They are also used in the approximation of functions in numerical analysis and in the calculation of moments in probability and statistics.