Legendre polynomials, Hypergeometric function

In summary: But we can still use (2) to define ##{n \choose k}##.Alternatively, we can use (1) to define ##{n \choose k}## for any ##n \geq 0##, and then use the Pochhammer symbol to extend the definition to negative integer ##n.##In summary, the Pochhammer symbol ##(a)_n## is defined by ##(a)_n = \frac{\Gamma(a+n)}{\Gamma(a)},## and can be used to define the binomial coefficient ##{n \choose k}## for arbitrary values of ##n## and ##k.##
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

[tex]_2F_1(a,b;c;x)=\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{(a)_n(b)_n}{(c)_nn!}x^n [/tex]
Show that Legendre polynomial of degree ##n## is defined by
[tex]P_n(x)=\,_2F_1(-n,n+1;1;\frac{1-x}{2})[/tex]

Homework Equations

Definition of Pochamer symbol[/B]
[tex](a)_n=\frac{\Gamma(a+n)}{\Gamma(a)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]P_n(x)=\,_2F_1(-n,n+1;1;\frac{1-x}{2})=\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}\frac{\frac{\Gamma(-n+k)}{\Gamma(-n)}\frac{\Gamma(n+k+1)}{\Gamma(n+1)}}{(k!)^2}\frac{(1-x)^k}{2^k}[/tex]
Main problem for me is ##\Gamma(-n)##. Bearing in mind that ##n## is degree of polynomial, ##\Gamma(-n)## diverge. What is solution of this issue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes but I have concrete question. What to do with ##\Gamma(-n), n>0##?

LagrangeEuler said:
Yes but I have concrete question. What to do with ##\Gamma(-n), n>0##?
My point was: you can't do anything with ##\Gamma(-n), n>0##, which diverges. You have to look at ##\frac{\Gamma(-n+k)}{\Gamma(-n)} ##, which doesn't diverge.

But ##\Gamma(-n), n>0## does not diverge. It does not exist. ##\Gamma(-n),n>0## is not defined.

Last edited:
LagrangeEuler said:
Bearing in mind that ##n## is degree of polynomial, ##\Gamma(-n)## diverge. What is solution of this issue?
LagrangeEuler said:
But ##\Gamma(-n), n>0## does not diverge. It does exist. ##\Gamma(-n),n>0## is not defined.
You're contradicting yourself.

The point I'm trying to make is that even if a piece of your function is divergent, it might be the case that the whole function actually converges. For a trivial example, let ##\Lambda(x)=\frac{1}{x}##, ##\Omega(x)=\frac{2}{x}##, and build the function ##A(x) = \frac{\Lambda(x)}{\Omega(x)}##. Even though both ##\Lambda(x)## and ##\Omega(x)## diverge, ##A(x)## does not.

With this consideration in mind, my advice remains as before: take a closer look at ##\frac{\Gamma(-n+k)}{\Gamma(-n)}## and supplement with the Mathworld page on Pochhammer symbols.

Yes. I understand you. However, I am not sure what of the two is correct. Does ##\Gamma(-1) \to \infty##, or ##\Gamma(-1)## is not defined?

See 2:27.

I have no idea what your point is. The gamma function is undefined at negative integers. Its limit doesn't exist at those points; see the plot in post #8 (This is what I meant by divergent, which admittedly is sloppy terminology). The Pochhammer symbol is analytic everywhere in the complex plane.

LagrangeEuler said:
But ##\Gamma(-n), n>0## does not diverge. It does not exist. ##\Gamma(-n),n>0## is not defined.

When these things occur in appropriate ratios, we can get meaningful results even if the numerator and denominator are both undefined. The reason is that we start by defining the ratio in the region where no problems occur, express the ratio in another way, then use that other way to extend the ratio into regions where the original definition would be nonsense. For example, the binomial coefficient for general ##n \geq 0## and integer ## k ## (##n \geq k \geq 0##) is
$${n \choose k} = \frac{\Gamma(n+1)}{\Gamma(n-k+1) \Gamma(k+1)} = \frac{n!}{(n-k)! k!},\hspace{3ex}(1)$$ where we have used the definition ##u! = \Gamma(u+1).## For integer ##n \geq k \geq 0##, (1) becomes
$${n \choose k} = \frac{n(n-1) \cdots(n-k+1)}{k!} \hspace{3ex}(2)$$ We can use (2) to define ##{n \choose k}## when ##k \geq 0## is an integer but ##n## is non-integer and/or ##n < 0##. In that case the original definition in (1) no longer makes any sense.

1. What are Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a type of orthogonal polynomial, named after French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre. They are solutions to the Legendre differential equation and have many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of spherical harmonics and the gravitational potential of a point mass.

2. What is the Hypergeometric function?

The Hypergeometric function is a special function that is defined as a power series in its arguments. It is a generalization of the factorial function and is used to solve many types of differential equations, particularly in mathematical physics and statistics.

3. What is the relationship between Legendre polynomials and the Hypergeometric function?

Legendre polynomials can be expressed as a special case of the Hypergeometric function. Specifically, they are the Hypergeometric function with parameters (a,b,c) = (a, 1/2, a+1/2).

4. What are the properties of Legendre polynomials and the Hypergeometric function?

Some key properties of Legendre polynomials include their orthogonality and completeness, which make them useful for expressing functions in terms of a series of polynomials. The Hypergeometric function has many properties, including differentiability, integrability, and analyticity, which make it a powerful tool for solving differential equations.

5. How are Legendre polynomials and the Hypergeometric function used in real-world applications?

Legendre polynomials and the Hypergeometric function have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. They are used to solve differential equations, express functions in terms of series, and model physical processes. Examples include the analysis of wave functions in quantum mechanics, the calculation of gravitational potential in mechanics, and the estimation of probabilities in statistics.