How to prove that shear transform is similarity-invariant?

It is easy to miss this trick.In summary, the characteristic polynomial of a matrix is similarity-invariant, meaning it remains the same under similarity transformations. This is true for all coefficients of the polynomial, including the trace, determinant, and other parameters. The proof for this is similar to the proof for determinants, and involves using the fact that determinants are preserved under similarity transformations.
swampwiz
OK, my understanding is that the characteristic equation for a matrix is similarity-invariant, from which results that the trace & determinant - which correspond to the penultimate & free coefficients of the characteristic equation - and other parameters (corresponding to other coefficients) are invariant under a similarity product of any matrix, And since any matrix can be composed of a concatenation of swap, scale or shear transforms, it must be that the characteristic equation is invariant under a similarity-transform (i.e., so that all of its coefficients are invariant).

I have worked out that the swap & scale similarity products result in the same characteristic equation, but am having difficult doing so for the shear. As part of the expression of the characteristic equation of the similarity product I get the characteristic equation of the original (i.e., central) matrix, but I get a bunch of other terms that should resolve to zero, but I just don't see it, at least from my math.

I've been searching for a good source online that goes into proving this, but all I see is proofs that the determinant is invariant, but not the characteristic equation. The proof of the determinant is simple; I don't need to see that. But simply changing the matrix to the characteristic matrix by adding in the characteristic parameter (i.e., eigenvalue parameter) seems to make this much more difficult.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The characteristic polynomial ##\det(\lambda I -A)## , where ##A## and ##I## are ##n\times n##-matrices, is invariant w.r.t. similarity transformations, which means that if ##P## is any invertible ##n\times n##-matrix, then ##\det(\lambda I-P^{-1}AP)\equiv\det(\lambda I-A)##. You say you are familiar with the corresponding proof for determinants. Can you adjust that proof to find the proof for the characteristic polynomial? I see no reason to look separately at shear-transformations, swaps, scale transformations, etc.

I am basing the proof of the determinant of just the matrix on the fact that the determinant of a matrix having a repeated row is 0. I don't think that I can say that the determinant of the characteristic matrix of such an original matrix that has its rows swapped is 0. However, I can't say that the determinant of that characteristic matrix is always zero unless I can remove the characteristic parameter completely, which I can't seem to be able to do.

There is a much simpler way. You already know that ##\det(P^{-1}AP)=\det(A)##. Apply this with ##\lambda I-A## instead of ##A##, and rewrite it a little.

Erland said:
There is a much simpler way. You already know that ##\det(P^{-1}AP)=\det(A)##. Apply this with ##\lambda I-A## instead of ##A##, and rewrite it a little.

Thanks. I knew I was making it a lot harder than I needed to.

Don't feel alone. I am a professional mathematician but as a student I also did not quickly react to things like noticing that all matrices commute with a matrix like cI, leading to the cancellation that makes this little thing pop out. I.e. it was not at all obvious to me that P^-1(cI-A)P = (cI - P^-1AP).

1. What is the definition of a shear transform?

A shear transform is a type of geometric transformation that involves shifting a shape or object in a specific direction along a fixed axis. This results in a distorted shape, where the angles and distances between points are changed.

2. How is shear transform different from other types of geometric transformations?

Shear transform is different from other types of geometric transformations, such as translation, rotation, and scaling, because it only affects one axis and does not change the size or orientation of the shape.

3. Why is it important to prove that shear transform is similarity-invariant?

Proving that shear transform is similarity-invariant is important because it demonstrates that the transformation preserves the shape of the object, meaning that the angles and distances between points remain the same. This is a crucial property in many applications, such as computer graphics and image processing.

4. What is the process for proving that shear transform is similarity-invariant?

The process for proving that shear transform is similarity-invariant involves using mathematical equations and geometric principles to show that the transformed shape is similar to the original shape. This can be done by showing that the ratios of corresponding sides are equal.

5. Are there any real-world examples of using shear transform as a similarity-invariant transformation?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of using shear transform as a similarity-invariant transformation. For example, in computer graphics, shear transform is used to create the illusion of depth and perspective in 2D images. In engineering, it is used to analyze the behavior of structures under different loading conditions. In physics, it is used to study the effects of shear stress on materials.