Probability: 4 Coin Toss Cumulative Dist Table & Median

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a cumulative distribution table for the number of heads when four coins are tossed, with the assumption that the coins are fair. The task also involves finding the median, which is defined as the point where the cumulative distribution function and the line at probability = 0.5 intersect. Another method to find the median is by using percentiles.
chwala
Gold Member

Homework Statement

(i) Construct the cumulative distribution table for the number of heads when the four coins are tossed. Coins are fair.
(ii) Find the Median.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i)

x 0 1 2 3 4
f(x) 1/16 5/16 11/16 15/16 1

(ii)
how do we find the median? is it ##1+2/2=1.5?##

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:

Homework Statement

(i) Construct the cumulative distribution table for the number of heads when the four coins are tossed. Coins are fair.
(ii) Find the Median.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i)

x 0 1 2 3 4
f(x) 1/16 5/16 11/16 15/16 1

(ii)

What is the meaning of "median"? How is it defined in your textbook or course notes (or whatever you use)?

Also, ##1 + 2/2\ne 1.5##.

Ray Vickson said:
What is the meaning of "median"? How is it defined in your textbook or course notes (or whatever you use)?
Find the Median of ##x## where ##x## denotes the random variable of the heads.

LCKurtz said:
Also, ##1 + 2/2\ne 1.5##.
seen the error, let me look at the working again, too much reading...

chwala said:
Find the Median of ##x## where ##x## denotes the random variable of the heads.
That is not what I asked you. Here you have just repeated the question in post #1, but that is not what I was seeking from you. I asked you what the word "median" actually means. If you have any kind of distribution (not necessarily the number of heads in 4 coin tosses), that distribution will have a median (or maybe, several "medians"), and I want you to tell me how they would be defined. Is there a formula? If I say that some distribution has a median of 4.84, what is that telling me about the distribution of probabillities?

Last edited:
Likes Klystron
Ray Vickson said:
That is not what I asked you. Here you have just repeated the question in post #1, but that is not what I was seeking from you. I asked you what the word "median" actually means. If you have any kind of distribution (not necessarily the number of heads in 4 coin tosses), that distribution will have a median (or maybe, several "medians"), and I want you to tell me how they would be defined. Is there a formula? If I say that some distribution has a median of 4.84, what is that telling me about the distribution of probabillities?
ok just give me a moment...

chwala said:

chwala said:
seen the error, let me look at the working again, too much reading...
This is not complicated. As @LCKurtz wrote in post #3, ##1 + 2/2 \ne 1.5##. Perhaps you meant ##\frac {1 + 2} 2 = 1.5##, or without LaTeX, (1 + 2)/2 = 1.5. Without parentheses, 1 + 2/2 means 1 + 1 which equals 2.

As a hint, do you know about percentiles in general, and maybe the median as percentile?

ok, my approach on this, on considering the probability distribution table for the above problem...
where, ## F(X)## is the cumulative distribution and ##P(X)## is the probability distribution,

## F(X) = P(X≤2) = 1/16 + 4/16 + 11/16 ≅0.7##
and
## P(X≥2) = 6/16 + 4/16 +1/16=11/16≅0.7##
therefore, the Median = 2.

WWGD said:
As a hint, do you know about percentiles in general, and maybe the median as percentile?
I would be interested in seeing you use percentiles on this problem.

chwala said:
I would be interested in seeing you use percentiles on this problem.

Attached is a plot of the cumulative distribution function, together with the line at probability = 0.5. The median is the point at which the two graphs cross.

Attachments

• binomial_cdf.png
    binomial_cdf.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 323
Likes chwala
Ray Vickson said:
Attached is a plot of the cumulative distribution function, together with the line at probability = 0.5. The median is the point at which the two graphs cross.
Thanks Ray, is there another method that you can use apart from the graph. Thanks for your input.

chwala said:
Thanks Ray, is there another method that you can use apart from the graph. Thanks for your input.

Yes. The median is either at the 50th percentile (if there is one), or else is the point at which the CDF jumps from a value < 0.5 to a value > 0.5 as we go through that point. For example, in the above we have the cdf ##F(x)##:
$$\begin{array}{cc}
x & F(x) \\
\hline
0 & 0.0625 \\
1 & 0.3125 \\
2 & 0.6875 \\
3 & 0.9375 \\
4 & 1
\end{array}$$
The function ##F(x)## jumps up from below 0.5 to above 0.5 as ##x## passes through ##2##, so ##x = 2## is the median.

since the coins are fair, this problem is equivalent to looking for the midpoint of Pascal's Triangle for n= 4. By symmetry you can eyeball it and see the midpoint at ##x = 2##

In fact any symmetric distribution will have its midpoint as a median.

(Footnotes: if the first moment exists, then we also have midpoint = mean for symmetric distribution; medians in general are not unique so there can be a range of values associated with the median though.)

StoneTemplePython said:
since the coins are fair, this problem is equivalent to looking for the midpoint of Pascal's Triangle for n= 4. By symmetry you can eyeball it and see the midpoint at ##x = 2##

(Footnotes: if the first moment exists, then we also have midpoint = mean for symmetric distribution; medians in general are not unique so there can be a range of values associated with the median though.)

I agree, of course, but the OP seemed to segue off into a question of finding the median in general, presumably also in cases where an obvious symmetry argument won't work anymore.

Ray Vickson said:
I agree, of course, but the OP seemed to segue off into a question of finding the median in general, presumably also in cases where an obvious symmetry argument won't work anymore.
so are we saying that there may be other values for the median the textbook answer gives ##1.5##
that is ##({1+2})/{2}##= ##1.5##
could this be a solution?

Last edited:
WWGD said:
I am waiting for your method in using percentiles as you indicated.

StoneTemplePython said:

I thought for symmetric distribution the values of the mean = mode = median. Is this statement correct?

chwala said:
I thought for symmetric distribution the values of the mean = mode = median. Is this statement correct?
No. See my post above that you quoted re: "Footnotes". Thinking like this will get you in trouble with e.g. the Cauchy distribution.

Also there is no reason for the mode to coincide with median. It simply is not true in general. For a basic counter example that comes up in randomwalks see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcsine_distribution

Likes Klystron
chwala said:
I am waiting for your method in using percentiles as you indicated.
Basically, the median is the 50-th percentile, so that half the data lies below it and the other half lies above it. The simplest example would be, for 1,2,3, 2 is the median.

WWGD said:
Basically, the median is the 50-th percentile, so that half the data lies below it and the other half lies above it. The simplest example would be, for 1,2,3, 2 is the median.

To expand on this method the following excerpt from Wiki introduces more terms associated with percentile measures. Note how the author like @WWGD defines median as the 50th percentile:

----- wikipedia -----------
The term percentile and the related term percentile rank are often used in the reporting of scores from norm-referenced tests. For example, if a score is at the 86th percentile, where 86 is the percentile rank, it is equal to the value below which 86% of the observations may be found (carefully contrast with in the 86th percentile, which means the score is at or below the value below which 86% of the observations may be found - every score is in the 100th percentile). The 25th percentile is also known as the first quartile (Q1), the 50th percentile as the median or second quartile (Q2), and the 75th percentile as the third quartile (Q3). In general, percentiles and quartiles are specific types of quantiles.
--------- end excerpt from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentile

Likes WWGD
chwala said:

No. Consider the "discrete" example with ##P(X=1)=P(X=5)= 0.4, P(X=2) = P(X = 4) = 0.1.## The median is at ##x = 3##, and there are two modes (##x=1## and ##x=5##). In this example, the median is not at the 50th percentile, because there is no 50th percentile at all (as happens also in your example that started this thread). In this case it happens to be true that the median equals the mean, but it is possible to devise examples where there is no mean at all, but there still modes and medians.

WWGD said:
so this may not be correct statement, going with what Ray Vickson has mentioned...

What is the purpose of a cumulative distribution table in probability?

A cumulative distribution table is used to show the probability of a certain event occurring or a certain value being reached in a series of trials. It allows for a visual representation of the probability distribution and can help determine the likelihood of a particular outcome.

How does a 4 coin toss cumulative distribution table work?

A 4 coin toss cumulative distribution table shows the probability of getting a certain number of heads or tails in a series of 4 coin tosses. It displays the probability of getting 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 heads in the 4 tosses. Each value in the table represents the cumulative probability of getting that number of heads or tails or less.

What is the median in a 4 coin toss cumulative distribution table?

The median in a 4 coin toss cumulative distribution table is the middle value in the table. It represents the point at which half of the outcomes have a higher probability and half have a lower probability. In other words, it is the value that divides the distribution into two equal parts.

How is the median calculated in a 4 coin toss cumulative distribution table?

The median in a 4 coin toss cumulative distribution table is calculated by finding the middle value in the table. If there is an even number of values in the table, the median is the average of the two middle values. If there is an odd number of values, the median is simply the middle value.

How can a 4 coin toss cumulative distribution table be used to make predictions?

A 4 coin toss cumulative distribution table can be used to make predictions by looking at the probabilities for each outcome. These probabilities can be used to estimate the likelihood of a particular result in a series of 4 coin tosses. However, it is important to remember that probability does not guarantee a specific outcome, but rather shows the likelihood of that outcome occurring.