How to reduce the heat from diesel exchaust gas

In summary, the speaker is building a Rapid Pulse Carbonation prototype Reactor unit that captures steam and CO2 gas from the heating system. They need to reduce the exhaust gas heat before passing it into a Sodium Hydroxide solution, and are considering using a counter-current heat exchanger to cool the gases by preheating the induction air to the burners. A coaxial tube for the exhaust and air input could also be used.
Rapid Pulse
I am building a Rapid Pulse Carbonation prototype Reactor unit, I am capturing the Steam form the process and passing it though a Plate and Tube condenser to produce water, also I will capture the CO2 gas from the heating system. How would I reduce the exhaust gas heat before I pass the exhaust gases into my Sodium Hydroxide solution

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll have to explain what you are doing more clearly before anyone can give you a sensible answer .

The carbonisation reactor needs to be heated to 500C at a pressure of 10 bar...the system is zero emmissions and zero waste..to heat the reactor to the 500C i need to use either 1 or 2 diesel burners ...but i want to capture the CO2 gases which are hot...these exchaust gases need to go to a sodium hydroxide tank which captures the CO2 and converts to sodium bicarbonate ...i need to cool the gases before they enter the sodium hydroxide solution...the exchaust pipe may be around 3" / 75mm dia what cooling chamber would i need ..keeping in mind that the housing for this RPC system is 6mt x 2.4mt

Rapid Pulse said:
How would I reduce the exhaust gas heat before I pass the exhaust gases into my Sodium Hydroxide solution
Use a counter-current heat exchanger to cool the exhaust by preheating the induction air to the burners. Consider a coaxial tube for the exhaust and air input.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countercurrent_exchange

Likes russ_watters and billy_joule

1. How does diesel exhaust gas contribute to heat?

Diesel engines produce exhaust gas as a byproduct of combustion. This gas contains high levels of heat energy, which is released into the environment through the exhaust system.

2. Can diesel exhaust gas be harmful to the environment?

Yes, diesel exhaust gas contains pollutants such as nitrogen oxides and particulate matter, which can contribute to air pollution and have negative impacts on human health and the environment.

3. What are the most effective ways to reduce heat from diesel exhaust gas?

Some effective ways to reduce heat from diesel exhaust gas include installing a heat exchanger, using diesel oxidation catalysts, and implementing exhaust gas recirculation systems. These methods help to dissipate heat and lower the temperature of the exhaust gas before it is released into the environment.

4. Are there any regulations in place to control the heat from diesel exhaust gas?

Yes, there are regulations in place for diesel engines, such as the US Environmental Protection Agency's Tier 4 standards, which aim to reduce emissions, including heat, from diesel engines.

5. How can reducing heat from diesel exhaust gas benefit the environment?

Reducing heat from diesel exhaust gas can help to reduce air pollution and improve air quality. It can also have a positive impact on climate change by reducing the amount of greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere. Additionally, it can improve the overall efficiency and lifespan of diesel engines.