How to relate to math expressions that don’t have physical representations

In summary, when using math terms in physics equations, it is important to consider the underlying principles and assumptions to fully understand their meaning and implications. This can help us avoid confusion and gain a deeper understanding of the concepts being described.
rasp
TL;DR Summary
I’m wondering how to get comfortable in using math terms in physics equations that do not have physical meanings. I know the formulas work but what are we saying about the terms? For example, I’m thinking of i in quantum wave equation and c^2 in Relativity I mean as c is the highest speed possible, what is c^2. I understand speed ^2 satisfies the dimensions, but how can we employ a number which violates our understanding of the maximum speed?
Thread is contained in the summary.

Physics news on Phys.org
rasp said:
but how can we employ a number which violates our understanding of the maximum speed?

Why do you think c2 is a speed? Is an acre an length?

Likes S.G. Janssens
rasp said:
Summary:: I’m wondering how to get comfortable in using math terms in physics equations that do not have physical meanings. I know the formulas work but what are we saying about the terms? For example, I’m thinking of i in quantum wave equation and c^2 in Relativity I mean as c is the highest speed possible, what is c^2. I understand speed ^2 satisfies the dimensions, but how can we employ a number which violates our understanding of the maximum speed?

Thread is contained in the summary.
Nothing is violating the speed of light when we describe rest energy as being equal to the rest mass times the square of the speed of light. This is just what energy is and how it is defined.

Your understanding and appreciation of a mathematical relationship of physical variables is obtained from the derivation of that relationship and the assumptions and physical principles that are required to develop it.

1. How can I understand math expressions that don't have physical representations?

Math expressions that don't have physical representations can be challenging to understand because they cannot be visualized like physical objects. However, you can use tools such as diagrams, graphs, and equations to help you understand these abstract concepts.

2. Why is it important to be able to relate to math expressions that don't have physical representations?

Being able to understand and relate to math expressions that don't have physical representations is important because many real-world problems and scientific phenomena can only be described and solved using abstract mathematical concepts. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How can I improve my ability to relate to math expressions?

One way to improve your ability to relate to math expressions is by practicing regularly. This will help you become more familiar with different types of math expressions and their applications. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to gain a better understanding of these concepts.

4. What are some strategies for understanding complex math expressions without physical representations?

One strategy for understanding complex math expressions without physical representations is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try to find real-life examples or applications of the concept to help you visualize it better. Additionally, using analogies or creating visual aids can also aid in understanding these expressions.

5. How can I apply my understanding of math expressions without physical representations to real-world problems?

To apply your understanding of math expressions without physical representations to real-world problems, you need to first identify the relevant variables and equations. Then, you can use your knowledge of these abstract concepts to model and solve the problem. Practice and familiarity with these expressions will also help you in applying them to real-world situations.