How to represent a periodic function using Taylor series

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of representing periodic functions, specifically a triangular wave or square wave, using a Taylor series. While it is possible to represent periodic functions like sine and cosine with a Taylor series, it is not possible to represent a triangular wave due to its lack of differentiability.
PainterGuy
Hi,

Is this possible to represent a periodic function like a triangular wave or square wave using a Taylor series? A triangular wave could be represented as f(x)=|x|=x 0<x<π or f(x)=|x|=-x -π<x<0. I don't see any way of doing although I know that trigonometric series could be used instead.

This is not a homework question so I don't think I was supposed to use the template. If my question doesn't fit in this section, please move it to relevant section. Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
PainterGuy said:
Hi,

Is this possible to represent a periodic function like a triangular wave or square wave using a Taylor series? A triangular wave could be represented as f(x)=|x|=x 0<x<π or f(x)=|x|=-x -π<x<0. I don't see any way of doing although I know that trigonometric series could be used instead.

This is not a homework question so I don't think I was supposed to use the template. If my question doesn't fit in this section, please move it to relevant section. Thank you for your help.

You can represent periodic function like sine and cosine with Taylor series - so being periodic doesn't make it impossible. On the other hand a triangular wave isn't even differentiable - so no on that one.

Likes PainterGuy

1. What is a periodic function?

A periodic function is a mathematical function that repeats itself at regular intervals. This means that the function has a specific pattern that repeats over and over again.

2. Why is it important to represent a periodic function using Taylor series?

Using Taylor series allows us to approximate any function, including periodic functions, by breaking it down into simpler components. This simplification makes it easier to analyze and understand the properties of the function.

3. How do you calculate the coefficients for a Taylor series?

The coefficients for a Taylor series can be calculated using the formula:
cn = 1/n! * f(n)(a)
Where n is the degree of the term, f(n)(a) is the nth derivative of the function at a, and n! is the factorial of n.

4. What are some applications of representing periodic functions using Taylor series?

One of the main applications is in physics and engineering, where Taylor series are used to approximate complex periodic functions such as sound waves or electrical signals. They are also used in signal processing, data compression, and image processing.

5. Are there any limitations to representing periodic functions using Taylor series?

Yes, there are some limitations. Taylor series can only be used to approximate functions that are infinitely differentiable, which means they have an infinite number of derivatives at every point. Additionally, Taylor series may not accurately represent functions with discontinuities or sharp changes in behavior.