Problem with series convergence — Taylor expansion of exponential

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of power functions and how they are dominated by exponential functions when the exponent tends to infinity. The proof is provided to show this dominance and the conversation concludes with gratitude for the explanation.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
problem with serie convergence (look at the image)
Relevant Equations
taylor serie expnasion, absolute convergence, racine test
Good day

1612106724444.png

and here is the solution, I have questions about
1612107099220.png

I don't understand why when in the taylor expansion of exponential when x goes to infinity x^7 is little o of x ? I could undesrtand if -1<x<1 but not if x tends to infinity?
many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1612106657426.png
    1612106657426.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
##n^7\neq o(n)##. I assume you meant the part where it says ##n^7=o(2^{n/2})##. Since ##\sqrt{2}>1##, ##2^{n/2}## dominates any power function as ##n\rightarrow\infty##.

• Love
Likes Amaelle
Exactely, I would be extremely grateful if you could elaborate more about this point!

Sure. I assume you don’t understand why exponentials dominate power functions? Here is a simple proof: $$\log\frac{n^k}{b^n}=k\log(n)-n\log(b)$$ which tends to ##-\infty## as ##n\rightarrow\infty##, provided that ##\log(b)>0##. Thus, taking the exponential of both sides shows that $$\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{n^k}{b^n}=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}e^{k\log(n)-n\log(b)}=0.$$

• Love
Likes Amaelle
thanks a million! you nail it!

Likes suremarc

1. What is the Taylor expansion of the exponential function?

The Taylor expansion of the exponential function is an infinite series representation of the function using its derivatives at a specific point (usually, x = 0). It is given by the formula:

2. What is the significance of the Taylor expansion of the exponential function?

The Taylor expansion allows us to approximate the exponential function with polynomials, which makes it easier to evaluate the function at different values of x. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the function near the point of expansion.

3. How does the Taylor expansion relate to the convergence of the series?

The Taylor expansion is a series representation of a function, and the convergence of the series depends on the behavior of the function at the point of expansion. If the function is well-behaved, the series will converge, and if the function is not, the series will diverge.

4. What are the conditions for the Taylor series to converge?

The Taylor series will converge if the function is infinitely differentiable at the point of expansion and if the derivatives of the function do not grow too fast. This is known as the Taylor series convergence test.

5. Can the Taylor series of the exponential function be used to evaluate the function at any value of x?

Yes, the Taylor series can be used to evaluate the exponential function at any value of x. However, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used in the series. As we use more terms, the approximation becomes more accurate.