How to share files in Google Docs

In summary, the conversation is about how to edit a shared Google Doc link so that everyone can see the input. The person has tried opening the link with Google Docs and has checked their edit rights, but the document is still not editable. They also mention having a work email and a Gmail account, and there was a document conversion issue that needed to be turned on to solve the problem.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Someone sent a Google Doc link to a number of collaborators (https://docs.google.com/file/etc ). I want to edit it so that everyone can see my input, how should I do it?

I've done File>Open with Google Docs, but then it's only in my personal Drive. If I follow the original link again the file is not changed. How should I share what I've done?

Of course I've asked colleagues for advice, looked online, but I can't figure it out! It's giving me a headache (apparently I'm getting old, technology has caught up with me :cry:).

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I think the person who owns (the original copy of) the file has to give other people the right to edit it.

I checked it, I have the right to edit. However, when I open the link the document is not editable.

Don't copy it to your drive. When you follow the link you should be able to edit that link directly.

Are you sure you have edit rights?

When I click 'share' and view 'who has access' it says 'can edit'. Or shouldn't I be able to see whether I have write access?

Could it be my e-mail address? I open it from work e-mail, but I have a gmail account. In the 'who can access' both my e-mail addresses are listed though and one needs a gmail account? At least when I checked another computer it specifically asked me to log in.

Ok, solved. There apparently was a document conversion thing that had to be turned on

Related to How to share files in Google Docs

1. How do I share a file in Google Docs?

To share a file in Google Docs, first open the file you want to share. Then, click on the blue "Share" button in the top right corner of the screen. You can then enter the email addresses of the people you want to share the file with and choose whether they can view, comment, or edit the file.

2. Can I share a Google Doc with someone who doesn't have a Google account?

Yes, you can share a Google Doc with someone who doesn't have a Google account. When you are entering the email addresses of the people you want to share the file with, simply click on the "Advanced" link and then select the option to allow anyone with the link to view the file. They will not need to sign in to a Google account to access the file.

3. How can I change the permissions for someone I've already shared a file with?

To change the permissions for someone you've already shared a file with, click on the "Share" button again and find the person's name or email address in the list of collaborators. Click on the drop-down menu next to their name and choose the new permission level you want to give them.

4. Is there a limit to how many people I can share a Google Doc with?

No, there is no limit to how many people you can share a Google Doc with. You can share the file with as many people as you want by entering their email addresses or by allowing anyone with the link to access the file. However, keep in mind that if you have a lot of collaborators, it may be difficult to keep track of everyone's changes and comments.

5. Can I revoke someone's access to a shared Google Doc?

Yes, you can revoke someone's access to a shared Google Doc at any time. To do so, click on the "Share" button and find the person's name or email address in the list of collaborators. Click on the drop-down menu next to their name and select "Remove" to revoke their access to the file.