How to simplify \nabla (A.v) in the derivation of Lorentz force?

jag
Homework Statement
The problem I'm working on is on deriving the Lorentz force from a given relativistic Lagrangian. I have figured out most of it. The specific part that I'm unable to figure out is how to simplify ##\nabla A \cdot v## where A is the magnetic vector potential and v is the velocity.
Relevant Equations
Given in the attempted solution section
I know that ##∇(A⋅v)=(A⋅∇)⋅v+(v⋅∇)⋅A+v×(∇×A)+A×(∇×v)##

The third term ##v×(∇×A)## simplifies to ##v×B##. I'm just now sure how to "get rid" of the other terms. I tried checking for some vector identities but couldn't make any headways. Any guidance?

Physics news on Phys.org
jag said:
I know that ##∇(A⋅v)=(A⋅∇)⋅v+(v⋅∇)⋅A+v×(∇×A)+A×(∇×v)##

The third term ##v×(∇×A)## simplifies to ##v×B##. I'm just now sure how to "get rid" of the other terms. I tried checking for some vector identities but couldn't make any headways. Any guidance?
My (probably naive and definitely unrigorous) view is that ##A## is a vector-field with a vector-value at each point in space - but ##v## is not.

In fact ##v## is a simple vector - the instantaneous velocity of the particle; ##v## is not the local velocity of an element in a fluid say; there is no velocity-field.

Consequently, spatial derivatives of ##v## must be taken to be zero, so any terms which include div, grad or curl ##v## simply vanish.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable than I will confirm that - or correct it if it's wrong!

• Informative
Likes dextercioby, vanhees71, MatinSAR and 1 other person
@Steve4Physics Thank you for the reply. I had some thoughts similar to you but I am not sure whether it is correct. Another thought I was having is whether the terms are just "canceled" because of some vector identities but I'm not sure on this one too. Looking forward to some clarification from someone.

In general, the Lagrangian is a function of generalized coordinates ##q_i(t)##, their time derivatives ##\dot q_i(t)##, and the time ##t##: ##L \left[ q_i(t), \dot q_i(t), t \right]##.

For the particle moving in the EM field, it is natural to take the coordinates to be the Cartesian coordinates ##x_i(t)## of the position of the particle ##\mathbf{x}(t)##.

So we have ##L \left[x_i(t), \dot {x}_i(t), t \right]##; or, ##L [ \mathbf{x}(t), \dot{\mathbf x}(t), t ] ##.

If the term ##\mathbf A \cdot \mathbf v## occurs in the Lagrangian, then this should be interpreted as ##\mathbf {A} [ \mathbf{x}(t), t] \cdot \dot{\mathbf x} (t) ## where the argument of ##\mathbf{A}## is shown explicitly. Here, ##\mathbf{x}(t)## and ##\dot{\mathbf x} (t)## are the position and velocity vectors of the particle at time ##t##.

For less strain on the eyes, we can write ##\mathbf {A} [ \mathbf{x}(t), t] \cdot \dot{\mathbf x} (t) ## as ##\mathbf {A} ( \mathbf{x}, t) \cdot \dot{\mathbf x}##.
But it is very important to keep in mind that ##\mathbf{x}## and ##\dot{\mathbf x}## are functions of ##t##.

For example, when setting up the Euler-Lagrange equation of motion for the coordinate ##x_i\,##, you will need $$\frac {d}{dt} \left[\frac {\partial}{\partial \dot{x}_i} \left[ \mathbf {A} ( \mathbf{x}, t) \cdot \dot{\mathbf x} \right] \right] = \frac {d}{dt} A_i\left(\mathbf{x}, t\right) $$ In evaluating the right side, note that ##t## occurs in the argument of ##A_i## explicitly and also implicitly in ##\mathbf{x}##.

You will also need $$\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \left[ \mathbf {A} (\mathbf{x}, t) \cdot \dot{\mathbf x} \right] = \left[ \frac{\partial \mathbf{A}( \mathbf{x}, t)}{\partial x_i} \right] \cdot \dot{\mathbf x} $$ In the Euler-Lagrange equations, the positions ##x_i## and the velocities ##\dot{x}_i## are treated as independent variables. So, the derivative ##\large \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}## does not act on ## \dot{\mathbf x}##, as already pointed out by @Steve4Physics.

• Informative
Likes Delta2, vanhees71, Steve4Physics and 2 others
@TSny Thank you for the answer. It is clear to me why the spatial derivatives doesn't act on ##\dot x##. One question, for the term (v⋅∇)⋅A, does the spatial derivative also doesn't act on ##A##?

jag said:
@TSny Thank you for the answer. It is clear to me why the spatial derivatives doesn't act on ##\dot x##. One question, for the term (v⋅∇)⋅A, does the spatial derivative also doesn't act on ##A##?
##A## is a function of position.

Likes MatinSAR
jag said:
Yes, the spatial derivative does act on ##\mathbf{A}##. But I would not write the second dot in the expression. There is only one scalar product in the expression, which is the ##\mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{\nabla}## part. I would write the term as ##(\mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{\nabla}) \mathbf{A}##.

You can show that this term gets canceled by other terms in the Euler-Lagrange equations. For example, the ith component of ##(\mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{\nabla}) \mathbf{A}## will get cancelled by part of ##\large \frac {d}{dt} \left[\frac {\partial}{\partial \dot{x}_i} \left[ \mathbf {A} ( \mathbf{x}, t) \cdot \dot{\mathbf x} \right] \right]##, which occurs in the Euler-Lagrange equation for ##x_i(t)##.

Note that ##\frac {d}{dt} \left[\frac {\partial}{\partial \dot{x}_i} \left[ \mathbf {A} ( \mathbf{x}, t) \cdot \dot{\mathbf x} \right] \right]
=\frac {d}{dt} A_i\left(\mathbf{x}, t\right)##. The time derivative ##\large \frac{d}{dt}## is a total derivative, not a partial derivative. So, you need to take into account that ##\mathbf{x}## in the argument of ##A_i## depends on time.

Likes PhDeezNutz, MatinSAR, Delta2 and 1 other person
TSny said:
But I would not write the second dot in the expression.
I would go so far as calling it wrong to write the second dot. The correct notation with respect to the vector structure is important in vector analysis.

Likes MatinSAR and TSny
jag said:
I think you are a victim of the confusion with the partial derivatives wrt. to ##q## and ##\dot{q}## in the Lagrange formalism, which is partially due to the physicists' sloppy notation, which however is very convenient when you've gotten used to it.

The Lagrangian is a function of the generalized coordinates ##q=(q_1,\ldots,q_f)## and velocities ##\dot{q}=(\dot{q}_1,\ldots,\dot{q}_f)## (where ##f## is the number of degrees of freedoms), i.e., ##L=L(q,\dot{q})##. Now when taking partial derivatives ##\partial/\partial q_j## and ##\partial/\partial \dot{q}_j## you have to consider the ##q## and ##\dot{q}## simply as independent variables (by definition of the physicists' sloppy notation).

On the other hand ##q(t)## are trajectories parametrized with time as the parameter, and then ##\dot{q}(t)=\mathrm{d} q(t)/\mathrm{d} t## are time derivatives of these trajectories. This time derivative is written as a total derivative, and then you get an expression like the Euler-Lagrange equations
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_j}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_j}.$$
On the left-hand side you first have to interpret the ##\dot{q}_j## as the one independent variable of the Lagrangian wrt. which you have to differentiate the Lagrangian, which gives again a function of the ##q## and ##\dot{q}## of course. Then the total time derivative tells you to now plug in the trajectory ##q(t)## for the ##q## and the time-drivatives ##\mathrm{d} q(t)/\mathrm{d} t## for the ##\dot{q}## and differentiate this expression with respect to ##t##.

Now in your example you have the piece
$$L_{\text{mag}}=q \dot{\vec{x}} \cdot \vec{A}(\vec{x},t),$$
where now we use the cartesian coordinates ##\vec{x}## for the ##q##'s, and we write ##\vec{\nabla}=\partial/\partial \vec{x}## for the partial derivatives with respect to these ##q##'s. The ##\dot{\vec{x}}## have to be considered as indepenent variables when such partial derivatives are to be calculated. In this case it gets more clear in the Ricci notation, i.e., you write (with Einstein summation convention applied)
$$L_{\text{mag}}=q \dot{x}_j A_j (\vec{x},t)$$
Then
$$\frac{\partial L_{\text{mag}}}{\partial x_k}=q \dot{x}_j \frac{\partial}{\partial x_k} A(\vec{x},t).$$
Also the contribution of this term to the left-hand side of the Euler-Lagrange equations. You first need
$$\frac{\partial L_{\text{mag}}}{\partial \dot{x}_k} = q A_k(\vec{x},t).$$
Then you have to take the total time derivative, now putting ##\vec{x}(t)## into ##A_k## and use the chain rule,
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial L_{\text{mag}}}{\partial \dot{x}_k}=q \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} A_k [\vec{x}(t),t] = q \dot{x}_l \frac{\partial}{\partial x_l} A_k[\vec{x}(t),t] + q \frac{\partial}{\partial t} A_k[\vec{x}(t),t].$$
In the final expression the partial time derivative only refers to the explicit time dependence of ##A_k##!

Likes jbergman, PhDeezNutz and MatinSAR
Hey All, thank you very much for the explanation. I took some time to digest all the information you gave me but it is super clear now. I successfully derived the Lorentz force! :smile:

Likes Steve4Physics, vanhees71 and TSny

1. How do you simplify the expression ∇(A·v) in the derivation of Lorentz force?

To simplify ∇(A·v), you can use the product rule of differentiation, which states that ∇(A·v) = A(∇·v) + v(∇·A) + (A·∇)v + (v·∇)A. By applying this rule and simplifying the resulting terms, you can derive the expression for Lorentz force.

2. What is the significance of simplifying ∇(A·v) in the derivation of Lorentz force?

Simplifying ∇(A·v) in the derivation of Lorentz force helps in understanding the relationship between the magnetic field, electric field, and the velocity of a charged particle. By simplifying this expression, you can derive the Lorentz force equation, which describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electromagnetic field.

3. Can you provide an example of simplifying ∇(A·v) in the context of Lorentz force?

For example, if A = (Ax, Ay, Az) and v = (vx, vy, vz), then ∇(A·v) = ∂(Axvx)/∂x + ∂(Ayvy)/∂y + ∂(Azvz)/∂z. By expanding and simplifying these terms, you can obtain the expression for Lorentz force.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to simplify ∇(A·v) in the derivation of Lorentz force?

While there may not be specific shortcuts, understanding the product rule of differentiation and practicing with different examples can help you simplify ∇(A·v) more efficiently. It is essential to carefully apply the rules of differentiation and vector calculus to derive the Lorentz force equation accurately.

5. How does simplifying ∇(A·v) contribute to the overall understanding of electromagnetic phenomena?

By simplifying ∇(A·v) in the derivation of Lorentz force, you can gain insights into the interactions between charged particles and electromagnetic fields. Understanding the Lorentz force equation is crucial in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, as it explains the motion of charged particles in the presence of electric and magnetic fields.