Derivation of rate of energy change from Lorentz force

In summary: B/dt ∙ v dt.12. Finally, we can use the fact that the time derivative of the magnetic field is equal to the negative of the electric field to rewrite the second term: dE/dt = q ∫ E ∙ v dt - q ∫ dE/dt ∙ v dt.13. Rearranging this equation, we get the desired result: dE/dt = q ∫ E ∙ v dt - q ∫ dE/dt ∙ v dt = q ∫ E ∙ v dt - q ∫ v ∙ dE/dt dt.In summary, we can derive the time derivative of total energy from the Lore
Mcsheehy
OP warned about not using the homework template
I am trying to derive from the Lorentz force equation the time derivative of the total energy. This involves using the equation for the jth electron in an electron beam traveling through an undulator. I have done it in such a way using the work done relation however I have been told that it is possible to derive it directly from the equation itself using:γ-2=1-v2/c2, d/dt(γmov)=-e(E+vxB), and the releation ½d/dt(v2)=v.d/dt(v).

The above were given as hints to derive the formula, but as far i can get is dot both sides with v and use the chain rule allowing me to sub in the γ term, but this leaves me with d/dt(ymoc2) - d/dt(y-1moc2) on the left and -2eE.v on the right. Not sure if I'm missing something. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It is definitely possible to derive the time derivative of total energy from the Lorentz force equation. Let me walk you through the steps:

1. Start with the Lorentz force equation: F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force on the particle, q is the charge, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

2. We know that the work done on a particle is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. So, we can write: W = ΔKE = F ∙ Δr, where W is the work done, ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy, and Δr is the displacement of the particle.

3. Using vector calculus, we can rewrite this as: W = ∫ F ∙ dr, where the integral is taken along the path of the particle.

4. Now, let's substitute the Lorentz force equation into this expression: W = ∫ q(E + v x B) ∙ dr.

5. We can rearrange this equation to get: W = q ∫ E ∙ dr + q ∫ v x B ∙ dr.

6. The first term in this expression is the work done by the electric field, which we can write as: W = q ∫ E ∙ dr = q ∫ E ∙ v dt.

7. The second term is the work done by the magnetic field, which we can write as: W = q ∫ v x B ∙ dr = q ∫ v ∙ (B x dr).

8. We can use the fact that B x dr = dB, where B is the magnetic field and dB is the change in magnetic field along the path of the particle. So, we can rewrite the second term as: W = q ∫ v ∙ dB.

9. Now, we can use the chain rule to write: W = q ∫ dB/dt ∙ dt/dt = q ∫ dB/dt ∙ v dt.

10. Putting all of this together, we get: W = q ∫ E ∙ v dt + q ∫ dB/dt ∙ v dt.

11. We know that the time derivative of the total energy is equal to the work done on the particle, so we can write: dE/dt = q ∫ E

What is the Lorentz force?

The Lorentz force is a fundamental force that describes the interaction between charged particles and electromagnetic fields. It is responsible for the motion of particles in electric and magnetic fields.

What is the derivation of the rate of energy change from Lorentz force?

The derivation of the rate of energy change from Lorentz force involves using the Lorentz force equation, which is given by F = q(E + vxB), to calculate the work done on a charged particle by an electric or magnetic field. This work can then be related to the rate of change of energy through the formula dE/dt = F⋅v, where v is the velocity of the particle.

Why is the derivation of the rate of energy change from Lorentz force important?

The derivation of the rate of energy change from Lorentz force is important because it helps us understand how charged particles interact with electric and magnetic fields. It also allows us to calculate the amount of energy transferred to or from a particle in these interactions.

How is the Lorentz force related to special relativity?

The Lorentz force is closely related to special relativity, as it was first derived by Hendrik Lorentz to explain the behavior of charged particles in relation to the theory of special relativity. The equations for the Lorentz force take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are central concepts in special relativity.

What are some real-world applications of the Lorentz force and its derivation?

The Lorentz force and its derivation have many real-world applications. One example is in particle accelerators, where electric and magnetic fields are used to accelerate charged particles to high speeds. It is also used in magnetic levitation trains, where the Lorentz force is used to lift and propel the train along its tracks. Additionally, the principles of the Lorentz force are essential in understanding the behavior of electrons in electronic devices such as computer chips and televisions.