How to simulate a membrane in a (2D) fluid?

In summary, the conversation discusses a personal project that involves a 2-dimensional finite-element fluid simulation and the need to simulate an elastic membrane stretched across a pipe. The membrane needs to be able to bulge out and block the flow through another pipe at a T-junction, with proper asymmetry based on pressure differences. The speaker has been working on this for over a year and has tried various methods, but has been unsuccessful in finding a solution that works. They are seeking ideas or references on the subject. The other person mentions the need for an "immersed boundary method" and references the complexity of modeling blood flow through heart valves.
Xezlec
I wasn't sure whether to post this in here or in computer programming, since it touches on both.

I have a personal project that is based on a 2-dimensional finite-element fluid simulation (which already works just fine) but needs to be able to simulate an elastic membrane stretched across a pipe as well, which would block the flow of the fluid and stretch out according to pressure as you would expect. Most importantly, it needs to be able to be placed at a T-junction in the pipe such that it can bulge out and block the flow through the other pipe, and that bulge needs to be properly asymmetrical if the pressures on the two sides of the cross pipe are different.

It does not have to be perfect, and does not need to model any really dynamic behavior like waves or anything, but it has to "look about right" when bulging out asymmetrically.

I've spent well over a year, off and on, trying to get this to work (and it's a step in a broader project I've been working on for over 5 years). I've tried things based on the Young-Laplace equation in various ways, and things based on Hooke's Law, treating the membrane as a set of balls and springs. Everything seems to fail one way or another. It's hard to prevent the membrane from crossing itself, hard to couple the pressure and velocity of the fluid to the membrane in a way that doesn't screw up, hard to neatly handle the walls, hard to handle the fact that the membrane can stretch arbitrarily along its length, and hard to get it all to be stable. I can solve most of these problems, but never all of them at once.

I am desperate. I need some kind of idea that will actually work. This is a long shot, but does anybody have any ideas or good references on the subject?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That kind of thing usually requires an "immersed boundary method", as the finite element mesh can't stay same when the immersed solid object moves from one place to another. It's not an easy problem, unless you can calculate the shape of the bulging membrane in a static situation as a function of pressure and then assume that it immediately assumes that shape when you put a pressure difference between the two sides. If you take a look at some articles about the modeling of blood flow through human heart valves, you'll see that quite difficult mathematics is involved when there's combined elastic solid and liquid phase motion.

I was afraid of that.

1. How do you define the parameters for the membrane in a 2D fluid simulation?

The parameters for the membrane in a 2D fluid simulation include its shape, size, and material properties such as elasticity and surface tension. These parameters can be defined using mathematical equations or by inputting experimental data into the simulation program.

2. What type of software is used to simulate a membrane in a 2D fluid?

Various software programs can be used to simulate a membrane in a 2D fluid, including computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software, molecular dynamics (MD) software, and finite element analysis (FEA) software. The choice of software depends on the specific research goals and the level of detail required in the simulation.

3. How do you account for fluid flow in a 2D membrane simulation?

In a 2D membrane simulation, fluid flow can be accounted for by using Navier-Stokes equations to model the movement of the fluid. These equations take into account factors such as viscosity, pressure, and velocity to accurately simulate fluid flow around and through the membrane.

4. Can a 2D membrane simulation accurately represent a real-life system?

While a 2D membrane simulation can provide valuable insights into the behavior of membranes in a fluid, it is not a perfect representation of a real-life system. Limitations such as simplified geometry and assumptions about material properties may impact the accuracy of the simulation. Therefore, it is important to validate the results of the simulation with experimental data.

5. What are some potential applications of simulating a membrane in a 2D fluid?

Simulating a membrane in a 2D fluid has various applications, such as studying the behavior of cells in biological systems, designing and optimizing filtration systems, and understanding the dynamics of drug delivery through membranes. It can also aid in the development of new materials and technologies for various industries, including medicine, environmental science, and engineering.