How to Simulate Residual Stress induced by Friction Stir Welding

In summary, A M.Tech student is seeking advice on how to simulate residual stresses induced during welding using ANSYS Mechanical APDL. They are a beginner in ANSYS and have limited knowledge. They need to match the results obtained by ANSYS with experimental results for their dissertation. They have learned ANSYS through YouTube, ANSYS help, and college faculties, but are still struggling with the simulation process.
Viren Parikh
Hello all,

I am M.Tech student and doing my dissertation on friction stir welding stimulation in ANSYS Mechanical APDL. I need to simulate residual stresses induced during welding using ANSYS.

How can I do the same, please reply. I am a beginner in ANSYS. I don't have much knowledge of ANSYS

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Stimulate? Do you mean simulate?

yes simulate, sorry for spelling mistake

Honestly this is a big job for someone that is an expert in Ansys, are you really expected to just figure it out? What's the real requirement for your assignment?

Actually i need to match the result obtained by the ANSYS and Experimental results so that I can validate my model.

Sounds like you're going to need to take a class in Ansys multiphysics analysis, there's way too much to cover on an internet forum. Are there any classes you can take to learn how to use the software?

i learn ANSYS from you tube, ANSYS help and few of my college faculties

1. What is friction stir welding and how does it induce residual stress?

Friction stir welding is a solid-state joining process that uses frictional heat and mechanical pressure to create a bond between two materials. During this process, the material experiences plastic deformation and thermal cycling, leading to the formation of residual stress.

2. What factors affect the magnitude and distribution of residual stress induced by friction stir welding?

The magnitude and distribution of residual stress induced by friction stir welding can be influenced by various factors such as welding parameters (rotational speed, traverse speed, tool geometry), material properties (composition, microstructure), and post-weld heat treatment.

3. What methods can be used to simulate residual stress induced by friction stir welding?

There are several methods for simulating residual stress induced by friction stir welding, including analytical and numerical techniques. Analytical methods, such as the analytical thermal stress analysis and the Johnson-Cook model, are based on simplified assumptions and equations. Numerical methods, such as finite element analysis, offer a more accurate and detailed simulation by considering the complex thermal and mechanical interactions during welding.

4. How can residual stress induced by friction stir welding be measured and validated?

Residual stress induced by friction stir welding can be measured and validated through various techniques such as X-ray diffraction, neutron diffraction, hole-drilling method, and strain gauge measurements. These methods provide information on the magnitude and distribution of residual stress in the welded material.

5. How can the impact of residual stress induced by friction stir welding be mitigated?

The impact of residual stress induced by friction stir welding can be mitigated by implementing proper welding parameters, using suitable filler materials, and performing post-weld heat treatment. Additionally, pre-welding procedures such as mechanical surface treatments and thermal stress relief can also help reduce residual stress and improve the overall quality of the weld.