How to solve a challenging integration problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is stuck on an integration problem involving a complex equation. They mention attempting to use the small angle approximation, but it is not applicable in this case. The problem seems to require an elliptic integral, which cannot be solved using elementary functions. They are seeking help with solving the problem.
Pi314
I am stuck on an intergration and can't get a simple answer which i should get

p = (2*m*l^2)^(1/2)*(E+m*g*l*cos theta)^(1/2)

using small angle (need for question) cos theta = 1 - (theta^2 )/2

Then I intergrate from 0 to 2*Pi and get some very large eqn using a maths program, I can't think how I would do it by hand?

Can anyone help with the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
So basically, the problem is to find the integral (a+ bcos(theta))1/2? That looks like an "elliptic integral" to me- there is no way to do it in terms of elementary functions.

You mention the "small angle" approximation but, of course, 2pi is NOT a "small angle".

What is intergration?

Intergration, in its simplest form, is the process of finding the area under a curve. It involves breaking down a complex function into simpler ones and then finding the sum of those simpler functions.

Why is intergration important?

Intergration is important because it allows us to calculate important quantities such as area, volume, and probability. It is also a key tool in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some common types of integration?

Some common types of integration include definite integration, indefinite integration, and numerical integration. Definite integration involves finding the area under a curve between two points, while indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function. Numerical integration, on the other hand, involves using numerical methods to approximate the value of an integral.

What are some techniques for solving hard integration problems?

Some techniques for solving hard integration problems include u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. These techniques involve manipulating the integral in order to make it simpler and more manageable.

How can I improve my skills in intergration?

The best way to improve your skills in integration is through practice. Start by solving simple integration problems and then gradually move on to more complex ones. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and techniques used in integration, so studying the theory behind it is also important.