How to Solve a Differential Equation Problem?

In summary, the problem involves two drivers racing from a standing start with constant acceleration. Driver A covers the last 1/4 of the track in 3 seconds while driver B covers the last 1/3 of the track in 4 seconds. The solution to the problem can be found on a specific website, but the question is how to solve for a_a in terms of x in the equation given. The solution is derived using the quadratic formula and it is found that Driver B wins by 6\sqrt{3} - 4\sqrt{6} sec. There is also a suggestion to use integration to find the solution, specifically using the equation x(t)=x(0)+x'(0)*t+(1/
Impact215
[SOLVED] Differential Equation Problem

Hi, I am having a problem with a question in my Differential Equations class.

Homework Statement

Two drivers (A and B) are going to race from a standing start. Both leave at the same time and both have constant accelerations. Driver A covers the last 1/4 of the track in 3 seconds while driver B covers the last 1/3 of the track in 4 seconds. Who wins and by how much?

I already found a solution on this site at:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=209021

I understand everything in his solution up until i get to this equation

[tex] \frac{1}{4}x = \sqrt{\frac{3a_ax}{2}}(3) + \frac{1}{2}a_a(9)[/tex]

I do not know how to solve for [tex]a_a \ in \ term \ of \ x:
a_a = 0.0039887x; \ \ \ \ 0.77379x...(5)[/tex]

Can someone show me how this is done?

I was able to figure out how he solved this, I think my problem was that I was substituting a value for x, rather than just leaving it as x.

I used the quad. formula with:
a = 324
b = 252x
c = x^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution to the answer from the book is Driver B wins by [tex]6\sqrt{3} - 4\sqrt{6}[/tex] sec which is approximately 0.594 sec

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now that i figured out how he got his answer, is there another way to do this using integration? possibly using [tex]a = d^2 x / dt^2[/tex] ?

You use integration to derive the result that x(t)=x(0)+x'(0)*t+(1/2)*a*t^2 from the differential equation of which you speak.

Related to How to Solve a Differential Equation Problem?

1. What is a differential equation problem?

A differential equation problem is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It describes the relationship between the function and its rate of change.

2. Why are differential equation problems important?

Differential equation problems are important because they are used to model real-world phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They help us understand how systems change over time and make predictions about their behavior.

3. How do you solve a differential equation problem?

There are various methods for solving differential equation problems, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and using power series. The appropriate method depends on the type of differential equation and its initial or boundary conditions.

4. What are the applications of differential equation problems?

Differential equation problems have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, biology, and chemistry. They are used to model and understand phenomena such as population growth, motion of objects, heat transfer, and chemical reactions.

5. Can differential equation problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, differential equation problems can have multiple solutions. In some cases, these solutions may not be unique and can depend on the initial conditions or other parameters. This is known as the existence and uniqueness theorem for differential equations.