How to Solve a Nonlinear Equation Using Newton's Method?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of transforming an equation into the form of f(x) = 0 in order to solve for its roots. The equation in question is 2.5x^3 = 2cos(x) + 8, and the individual is struggling with manipulating it into the desired form. However, they eventually find the solution by setting f(x) = 2cos(x) + 8 - 2.5x^3 and solving for the roots.
TyErd

Homework Statement

I've attached the question

Homework Equations

x(n+1) = x(n) - f(x(n)) / f '(x(n))

The Attempt at a Solution

2.5x^3 =2cos(x) + 8
okay so this has to be in the form of f(x) = ... but there is no y variable for me to make it into that form. once I've gotten it into that form, it should be easy but its the manipulation that's got me stuck.
0 =2cos(x) + 8 - 2.5x^3

Attachments

• 111111111111.png
    111111111111.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
You want it in the form of f(x) = 0, and you have the equation 0 = 2cos(x) + 8 - 2.5x^3, so f(x) = 2cos(x) + 8 - 2.5x^3

oh i didnt know that, i got an answer of x1=1.508306, x2=1.48451 and x3=1.48416 looks right

Related to How to Solve a Nonlinear Equation Using Newton's Method?

1. What is Newton's Method problem?

Newton's Method problem is a mathematical algorithm used to find the roots of a given function. It involves iteratively improving an initial guess until an accurate solution is obtained.

2. How does Newton's Method work?

Newton's Method works by using the tangent line to a point on a function as an approximation of the curve at that point. The point where the tangent line crosses the x-axis becomes a new point on the function and the process is repeated until the desired accuracy is achieved.

3. What are the advantages of using Newton's Method?

One advantage of Newton's Method is its fast convergence rate, meaning it can find the solution to a problem in fewer iterations compared to other methods. It is also relatively simple to implement and can be used to solve a wide range of equations.

4. What are the limitations of Newton's Method?

Newton's Method may fail to converge or produce incorrect results if the initial guess is not close enough to the actual root or if the function has multiple roots. It also requires the calculation of derivatives, which can be time-consuming for complex functions.

5. How is Newton's Method used in real-world applications?

Newton's Method has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is commonly used to solve optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum of a function. It is also used in machine learning algorithms to optimize parameters and improve model accuracy.