How to Solve Angular Kinetics Problem with Inclined Plane and Hoop Release

Once you have the final velocity, you can use kinematics to find the time it takes for the hoop to roll 16.4 m down the plane.In summary, to find the time it takes for a hoop to roll 16.4 m down a plane inclined at 16 degrees above horizontal, the conservation of energy principle can be used by considering the change in potential energy and its conversion to kinetic energy. This can then be used to determine the final velocity of the hoop, which can be used in kinematic equations to find the time it takes to roll the specified distance.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

A hoop is released from rest at the top of a plane inclined at 16 above horizontal. How long does it take the hoop to roll 16.4 m down the plane?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to find the final velocity, I know the Inertia is = to

I=MR2

v0=0

Δx=16.4

I also know I need to incorporate some form of constant acceleration or constant angular acceleration to find t.

Im just so confused on how to begin..

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider conservation of energy; The hoop is going downhill, so it's losing height. What's the change in PE? Where does this ΔPE end up? (assume that the hoop rolls and doesn't slip) Can you determine the final velocity from this?

Related to How to Solve Angular Kinetics Problem with Inclined Plane and Hoop Release

1. What is Angular Kinetics?

Angular kinetics refers to the study of the motion of objects or bodies in rotation around a fixed axis. It involves analyzing the forces acting on an object to determine its angular acceleration and ultimately its angular velocity and position.

2. How is Angular Kinetics different from Linear Kinetics?

Angular kinetics deals with the motion of objects in rotation, while linear kinetics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line. Angular kinetics also involves the consideration of torque and moment of inertia, which are not applicable in linear motion.

3. What is the equation for calculating angular acceleration?

The equation for angular acceleration is α = τ/I, where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the torque acting on the object, and I is the moment of inertia of the object.

4. How is angular velocity related to angular acceleration?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. In other words, angular velocity is the first derivative of angular displacement, and angular acceleration is the first derivative of angular velocity.

5. How can I apply angular kinetics to real-world problems?

Angular kinetics can be applied to various real-world problems, such as analyzing the motion of objects in a spinning amusement park ride, calculating the forces on a rotating satellite, or determining the angular velocity of a rotating wheel. It is also useful in understanding the movement and stability of objects in sports, such as figure skating or gymnastics.