How to solve for the capacitance of an interlocking plates

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction and calculation of the capacitance of a capacitor made of interlocking plates. The given parameters include the separation between plates, the effective area of one of the plates, and the permittivity of a vacuum. The equation used to calculate capacitance is C=(Eo*A)/d, assuming that the capacitors are in parallel. After some discussion and clarification, it is determined that there are actually 8 capacitors in parallel. The final answer should be given in units of pF.
mba444

Homework Statement

A capacitor is constructed of interlocking
plates as shown in the figure (a cross-sectional
view). The separation between adjacent
plates is 1.26 mm, and the effective area of
one of the adjacent plates is 6.1 cm2.

http://images.upload2world.com/get-6-2009-upload2world_com_jdqtdnhw.jpg

The permittivity of a vacuum is 8.85419 × 10−12 C2/N · m2.
Ignoring side effects, calculate the capaci-
tance of this unit. Answer in units of pF.

Homework Equations

C=(Eo*A)/d

The Attempt at a Solution

what i did is that i assumed that the capacitors are parrallel therefore i used this equation by plugging the given values .. but still i keep getting the wrong answer ..

i am looking forward for your help
thanx in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hey mba444, welcome to PF :)
how many capacitors you assumed that are parrallel?

thanx for welcoming

:bugeye:sure not:-p, you know that each capacitor have two plates separated by the vacuum now look again at the pic, got it?!...

Ohhh

thereore 8

thanx a lot :shy:

1. What is capacitance and why is it important in interlocking plates?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electric charge. In interlocking plates, capacitance is important because it determines the amount of charge that can be stored between the plates.

2. How do I calculate the capacitance of interlocking plates?

The capacitance of interlocking plates can be calculated using the following formula: C = ε0 * (A/d), where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of overlap between the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of interlocking plates?

The capacitance of interlocking plates is affected by the area of overlap between the plates, the distance between the plates, and the permittivity of the material between the plates.

4. Can the capacitance of interlocking plates be increased?

Yes, the capacitance of interlocking plates can be increased by increasing the area of overlap between the plates, decreasing the distance between the plates, and using a material with a higher permittivity between the plates.

5. How is the capacitance of interlocking plates used in practical applications?

The capacitance of interlocking plates is used in many practical applications, such as in capacitors for electronic devices, in energy storage systems, and in sensors for measuring various physical quantities.