How to solve this balancing exercise? (towing a boat with two ropes)

In summary, the problem is that the force is acting on the x-axis which causes the directions to change.
Tapias5000
Homework Statement
The towing pendant AB is subjected to the force of 50 kN exerted by a tugboat. Determine the force in each of the bridles, BC and BD, if the ship is moving forward with constant velocity.
Relevant Equations
Σfx=0 and Σfy=0
This is the image of the problem
Untitled-4.png

I tried to solve it and I got the following is it correct?
Captura.PNG

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method seems correct in general . Haven't check the arithmetic operations.

BTW why don't you use the first equation you found for ##F_{BD}## to calculate it , once you have found ##F_{BC}## and you instead using a different equation?

Oops I now see a flaw, you haven't labeled the x and y-axis explicitly, but it seems to me that the force of 50kN is acting in the x-direction... Though that would imply that the x-axis is the vertical and the y-axis is the horizontal.

Delta2 said:
Oops I now see a flaw, you haven't labeled the x and y-axis explicitly, but it seems to me that the force of 50kN is acting in the x-direction... Though that would imply that the x-axis is the vertical and the y-axis is the horizontal.
um the force acts in the direction of x?
So in the directions change? I don't understand, why does that happen, can you show me some other example?
The answer then would be like this? but why?

##
\begin{array}{l}----------------------\\
Σfx=0\\
-F_{BD}\sin \left(20°\right)+F_{BC}\sin \left(30°\right)=0\\
F_{BC}=F_{BD}\frac{\sin \left(20°\right)}{\sin \left(30°\right)}\\
----------------------\\
Σfy=0\\
F_{BD}\cos \left(20°\right)+F_{BC}\cos \left(30°\right)-50=0\\
F_{BD}\cos \left(20°\right)+F_{BD}\frac{\sin \left(20°\right)}{\sin \left(30°\right)}\cos \left(30°\right)-50=0\\
F_{BD}0.93+F_{BD}0.59=50\\
F_{BD}=\frac{50}{1.52}\\
\left[F_{BD}=32.89\right]\\
----------------------\\
F_{BD}\cos \left(20°\right)+F_{BC}\cos \left(30°\right)-50=0\\
32.89\cdot \cos \left(20°\right)+F_{BC}\cos \left(30°\right)-50=0\\
F_{BC}=\frac{-32.89\cdot \cos \left(20°\right)+50}{\cos \left(30°\right)}\\
\left[F_{BC}=22.04\right]\\
----------------------\end{array} ##

Likes Delta2
Yes I think now it is correct.

Delta2 said:
Yes I think now it is correct.
ok, but how did you realize that the force acted on the x-axis and therefore the directions were changed? what did you look at to reach that conclusion?

Tapias5000 said:
ok, but how did you realize that the force acted on the x-axis and therefore the directions were changed? what did you look at to reach that conclusion?
If I ask you to draw the force components that correspond to ##F_{BC}\cos 30## and ##F_{BD}\cos 20## where would you draw them, on the vertical axis or on the horizontal axis?

Delta2 said:
If I ask you to draw the force components that correspond to ##F_{BC}\cos 30## and ##F_{BD}\cos 20## where would you draw them, on the vertical axis or on the horizontal axis?
According to me they would go on the red arrows, cosine= a/h
1630994530540.png

Nope that's not correct, check again the definition of cosine for a right triangle.

Delta2 said:
Nope that's not correct, check again the definition of cosine for a right triangle.

aaaaaaaaa, damn I finally understand regarding the angle would be here for cosine, and that's why the directions change, am I right now?
Captura.PNG

Likes Delta2
Yes you are correct now.

Likes Tapias5000
Delta2 said:
Yes you are correct now.
Thank you very much for the clarification.

Likes Delta2

1. How do I determine the correct tension for each rope?

The correct tension for each rope can be determined by using the following formula: T = (W/2) + (L/2), where T is the tension, W is the weight of the boat, and L is the length of the rope. This formula ensures that the tension on each rope is equal and the boat remains balanced.

2. What should I do if the boat starts to tip to one side?

If the boat starts to tip to one side, you can adjust the tension on each rope by pulling or releasing the ropes accordingly. This will help to distribute the weight of the boat evenly and keep it balanced.

3. Can I use ropes of different lengths to tow the boat?

No, it is important to use ropes of equal length when towing a boat with two ropes. Using ropes of different lengths will result in an uneven distribution of weight and could cause the boat to tip to one side.

4. How do I know if the boat is properly balanced?

You can check if the boat is properly balanced by observing the waterline. If the boat is balanced, the waterline should be even. If the waterline is uneven, you may need to adjust the tension on the ropes to achieve balance.

5. What is the maximum weight that can be towed using this method?

The maximum weight that can be towed using this method depends on the strength and durability of the ropes being used. It is important to use ropes that are strong enough to handle the weight of the boat and any additional weight being towed.